Expired Hot Deals

Rona

Firman Gas Portable Generator - 5700W - 6 Outlets $499 (reg. $999) Also at Lowe's/Reno Depot

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2021 9:48 am
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3802 posts
3558 upvotes
Muskoka
I have this exact model, 2 yrs old and use it for emergency backup. We can basically get by during outages. We have a separate pony panel with an outside plug and manually flip a switch to go into generator mode
It powers
240v well pump
Sewage pump
Fridge, full size freezer
All of the house lights most are LED
Microwave
Some outlets to run coffee maker and charge phones
Propane forced air furnace

We do not run stove, a/c, and most outlets. We are most concerned about heat in the winter and making sure the toilets still work. Rural living.

Keep it filled with premium gas and some stabilizer. Keeping air out of the gas tank has a less chance of moisture absorbing into gas. Start it once a month for a bit then turn off the gas supply to let it run dry. Make sure there is no load when you run it dry.

Easy to pull. You do not need to pull it fast or hard to get it going. We also have a 6500 Honda for another property and I have no issues with either and this is half the cost or less with this sale.

Also change the stock oil after a few hours and use a good quality synthetic oil going forward.

I would NOT take this camping. Too big and too loud. The Firman 3300w inverter has a 30amp out port and I have seen people running a/c on their RVs with this one. I have the 3300 as well and it is much quieter
Last edited by spots01 on Aug 5th, 2021 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Public Mobile
Dec 24, 2007
379 posts
608 upvotes
caltran wrote: If you have to ask if this is good for camping, you need to a whole lot of research.
to be fair, we dont know what kind of camping rob was going to do. if he was headed to a hunt camp, then yes, this would be a reasonable and cheap option to run a fridge, charge some batteries, etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4116 posts
26101 upvotes
spots01 wrote: I have this exact model, 2 yrs old and use it for emergency backup. We can basically get buy during outages. We have a separate pony panel with an outside plug and manually flip a switch to go into generator mode
It powers
240v well pump
Sewage pump
Fridge, full size freezer
All of the house lights most are LED
Microwave
Some outlets to run coffee maker and charge phones
Propane forced air furnace

We do not run stove, a/c, and most outlets. We are most concerned about heat in the winter and making sure the toilets still work. Rural living.

Keep it filled with premium gas and some stabilizer. Keeping air out of the gas tank has a less chance of moisture absorbing into gas. Start it once a month for a bit then turn off the gas supply to let it run dry. Make sure there is no load when you run it dry.

Easy to pull. You do not need to pull it fast or hard to get it going. We also have a 6500 Honda for another property and I have no issues with either and this is half the cost or less with this sale.

Also change the stock oil after a few hours and use a good quality synthetic oil going forward.

I would NOT take this camping. Too big and too loud. The Firman 3300w inverter has a 30amp out port and I have seen people running a/c on their RVs with this one. I have the 3300 as well and it is much quieter
Do you think this would be a good option for people asking about taking it camping? It does mention camping in the description.

https://www.rona.ca/en/firman-dual-fuel ... 2-32019887
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2204 posts
1462 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
hill15 wrote: Do you think this would be a good option for people asking about taking it camping? It does mention camping in the description.

No for god’s sake it’s not suitable for camping unless you’re 100% boondocking on crown land. Even the douches that run their generators all day will hate you if you use this in a campground.

Also it’s mega overkill and you’re going to have a hell of a time just moving it around.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4116 posts
26101 upvotes
TrueToy wrote: this really depends on what you are looking for. most people who camp do not bring any generators with them, and would find this question odd.
Agree. I have never taken a generator camping but apparently some have and was wondering if this would be an option for them.
Apr 23, 2017
132 posts
125 upvotes
spots01 wrote: I have this exact model, 2 yrs old and use it for emergency backup. We can basically get buy during outages. We have a separate pony panel with an outside plug and manually flip a switch to go into generator mode
Do you recall what the cost was to add the pony panel and assoicated work? Also rural and would like to add this capability.
Aug 20, 2006
802 posts
140 upvotes
Which one is better? Craftsman 2200i or this one?
Sep 3, 2014
854 posts
884 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
robpiper wrote: Great price, anyone knows how loud they are? Would they be annoying to take camping?
Pardon?
Sep 6, 2020
37 posts
36 upvotes
I grabbed the $399 one as I thought it would be less noisy. I would only use it during overnight winter power outages. Don't want to annoy the neighbors.
Jan 11, 2012
330 posts
201 upvotes
PORT ALBERNI
I noticed something odd in the Rona webpage for this unit but then I figured it out. They made a couple of references to being suitable for VR and it had a VR plug. It dawned on me that it should be reading "RV", as it does have a 30 amp outlet specifically designed to take the typical cord from a RV and plug it straight into it. These outlets have two angled blades and ground which is completely different from the usual twist lock 30 amp. Another FWIW fact - I noticed that the noise rating was done with 50% load on the unit. So this would explain why some people are saying that they are quiet while others say it's loud, it's very dependent on the load you have it under at the moment you listen to it.
hill15 wrote: Do you think this would be a good option for people asking about taking it camping? It does mention camping in the description.

Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12424 posts
2136 upvotes
GTA

seanns32 wrote: highly likely that tesla will only charge from a generator with a clean sine wave, so 'no' is the answer. You would need a 'inverter generator' which are much more expensive (for the power that they provide)
so this video is fake??? :(
KravenHead wrote:
Wouldn't that defy the purpose of owning an electric car?
see video.
Evil Baby wrote:
You're better off getting towed by someone if you need to recharge a Tesla in the middle of nowhere.

Towing A Tesla At 70 MPH Replenishes Battery At Fast Charger Rates
nah. sometimes you can help yourselve before bothering someone
WikkiWikki wrote: Are you the author that says trucks shouldnt be used? Sounds just as stupid
see video. dont misjudge tesla owners
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12424 posts
2136 upvotes
GTA
can cumfirm tesla could be charged with a portable generator...........

shows 3 miles per hour or 4.8KM per hour.........
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2204 posts
1462 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
TrueToy wrote: to be fair, we dont know what kind of camping rob was going to do. if he was headed to a hunt camp, then yes, this would be a reasonable and cheap option to run a fridge, charge some batteries, etc.
It weighs 175 lbs.

Like jesus have any of you actually even gone near a 5000+ watt generator???
Dec 24, 2007
379 posts
608 upvotes
caltran wrote: It weighs 175 lbs.

Like jesus have any of you actually even gone near a 5000+ watt generator???
i just posted that i own an MGE5800Z.

so, yes. its heavy. mine with the mobility kit weighs 186lbs. i can still move it myself.

any more questions?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21587 posts
2956 upvotes
Out west
qaz393 wrote:

so this video is fake??? :(

see video.

nah. sometimes you can help yourselve before bothering someone

see video. dont misjudge tesla owners
Why not, they judge everyone else with their holier than thou attitude
Nov 8, 2004
239 posts
75 upvotes
Great company and amazing customer service. I own the 3300 inverter model and had a broken part when I received it. The Distributor (out of the States) answered his phone on a Saturday while driving somewhere and totally helped me out. Sent extra parts, instructions for the install, and a free generator cover for my troubles.

I use ethanol free gas and start up once a month. Never had any problems.

Don't use the model in the OP to power your electronics. It's got a fairly high THD rating of 25 at full load. THD explained
2006 posts
411 upvotes
Markham
Thanks OP, bought one!
Jay Rana |
Sales Representative, CENTURY 21 Titans Realty Inc. Brokerage