Expired Hot Deals

[Rona] Greenworks 40V 20in Battery Powered Snow Blower $280

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 4:43 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
1989 posts
4498 upvotes
scrubfordeals wrote: OP - why not the 80v 21inch one? it was for $315. PM at rona if you want
80v sounds better
Sep 23, 2012
26 posts
11 upvotes
Pincourt
Presents wrote: I bought straight from Greenworks.
so the prices are in $CDN? Do these ship from the US? Any duty / taxes from customs? Based on the site greenworks seems to be US based
Feb 1, 2013
120 posts
156 upvotes
Ottawa
My blower that I'm getting from greenworkstools.ca is being shipped from Cambridge
Sep 23, 2012
26 posts
11 upvotes
Pincourt
jgoedhard wrote: My blower that I'm getting from greenworkstools.ca is being shipped from Cambridge
Thanks! just ordered. I see that I pay only GST for delivery to quebec. So better deal to order from greenworks than trying a price match locally.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
1989 posts
4498 upvotes
wstewart wrote: Thanks! just ordered. I see that I pay only GST for delivery to quebec. So better deal to order from greenworks than trying a price match locally.
Thanks that helped.
Mar 7, 2007
243 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Presents wrote: Was going to suggest the same for the marginal price difference to get 80V. I bought this during the Labour Day sale but it looks like the promotional price is still effective:

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/produ ... ow-thrower

I bought straight from Greenworks.
I was about to pull the trigger on this and noticed a number of reviews that talk about this unit dying within the first year itself. Any thoughts?
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
743 posts
717 upvotes
scrubfordeals wrote: OP - why not the 80v 21inch one? it was for $315. PM at rona if you want
Presents wrote: Was going to suggest the same for the marginal price difference to get 80V. I bought this during the Labour Day sale but it looks like the promotional price is still effective:

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/produ ... ow-thrower

I bought straight from Greenworks.
Didn't see that one till now. Much better deal. Will 2ah be enough? Also is it better to get Rona to PM or buy from Greenworks?
Sep 18, 2019
141 posts
206 upvotes
tunda11 wrote: Didn't see that one till now. Much better deal. Will 2ah be enough? Also is it better to get Rona to PM or buy from Greenworks?
so you have to multiply the voltage with the Ah
40V x 4Ah = 160 Watt hour
80V x 2Ah = 160 Watt hour

honestly if i haven't bought my corded snow thrower, i would get the 40V insta buy, $280 for a cordless snow thrower is crazy

i tried both 40V and 18V lawn mowers and both work just great, i dont think its different with snow, let's see
Nov 10, 2011
578 posts
491 upvotes
St. Catharines
Looks like the same snow thrower is $329 in the Lowes flyer starting tomorrow. I could not find it on the Lowes web-site though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Jun 25, 2020
80 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
quetzpro wrote: so you have to multiply the voltage with the Ah
40V x 4Ah = 160 Watt hour
80V x 2Ah = 160 Watt hour

honestly if i haven't bought my corded snow thrower, i would get the 40V insta buy, $280 for a cordless snow thrower is crazy

i tried both 40V and 18V lawn mowers and both work just great, i dont think its different with snow, let's see
What you also mean is that the time they last maybe the same but the raw power output of 80V will be more than the 40V. I think folks need to decide what is more important - runtime or power output (or both!!)
Sep 18, 2019
141 posts
206 upvotes
scrubfordeals wrote: What you also mean is that the time they last maybe the same but the raw power output of 80V will be more than the 40V. I think folks need to decide what is more important - runtime or power output (or both!!)
you just have to see the wattage usage on both products, in my own experience i cannot tell any difference in raw power with my 18V and my friend's 40V lawn mower (ryobi)

its like 40V they just run at normal use, while the 18V they run with turbo-charger (same power and speed)

i hope this helps
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3107 posts
1926 upvotes
Montreal
tunda11 wrote: AT RONA, WE MATCH THE PRICE
HASSLE FREE
Is the price of a product offered at a competitor lower than the price of the identical product at your local RONA store? Upon presentation of satisfactory proof and while respecting certain conditions, we will MEET the competitor price!
Good luck with that, Rona and Renodepots are managed by a bunch of weasels and they'll invent any excuse to not price match.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5939 posts
1765 upvotes
Montreal
How would this compare to the corded 18" Snow Joe in terms of performance? The Snow Joe did the trick for me for a few winters until I burned the motor.
Apr 12, 2013
530 posts
405 upvotes
BC
Bought the dual battery 80v blower a few years ago from SnowJoe via Lowe's. The cordless aspect is great and batteries last fine in winter. Has plenty of oomph to move a lot of snow but...

First winter the flimsy metalwork bent and would bind on auger. By time replacement arrived from US winter was over. Next winter electrics went doolaly and the third unit had new switches that were unusable with gloves.

https://www.snowjoe.com/products/snow-j ... rt-charger

So a big vote for cordless, but avoid this model.
Jul 7, 2016
331 posts
658 upvotes
wstewart wrote:
so the prices are in $CDN? Do these ship from the US? Any duty / taxes from customs? Based on the site greenworks seems to be US based
wstewart wrote: Thanks! just ordered. I see that I pay only GST for delivery to quebec. So better deal to order from greenworks than trying a price match locally.
CAD and correct, it appears Greenworks does not have a physical office in every province so there are certain provinces where only GST is charged. Ontario is charged the full 13% still.
ambience wrote: I was about to pull the trigger on this and noticed a number of reviews that talk about this unit dying within the first year itself. Any thoughts?
The unit has a 4 year warranty and the battery alone is worth about $180. I bought the lawn mower and trimmer set from Costco for $600+tax which uses the same 80V battery system so worst case dealing with warranty for the tool while having an extra battery for the other tools seemed to be worth the risk for me personally.
tunda11 wrote: Didn't see that one till now. Much better deal. Will 2ah be enough? Also is it better to get Rona to PM or buy from Greenworks?
2Ah has been good for my personal use (Southwestern Ontario). I previously used a 22 inch model but returned it since it seemed overpriced at $700. 20 inch at $315 seems to be good value for the dollar.

I would PM at Rona if you prefer to deal with a physical store. However, if they are like Lowes, you'll likely have to deal with warranty if you run into issues (had a tool break within 30 days and the policy did not let me return if I used it, had to deal with warranty). I went with Greenworks directly for ease since at the time it was a Labour Day sale and I didn't want to visit stores if I did not have to (and no need to negotiate a PM).

I personally stick to Costco where possible for this reason.