Expired Hot Deals

[Rona] Greenworks 40V 20in Battery Powered Snow Blower $280

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 4:43 pm
Jun 25, 2020
81 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jzmtl wrote: Good luck with that, Rona and Renodepots are managed by a bunch of weasels and they'll invent any excuse to not price match.
I got them to price match from the greenworks site. $315 + taxes for the 80V 21inch one. I think its not as good as HD but the online chat is the same as Lowes so they do a decent job price matching nowadays
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9202 posts
1440 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Good price. 40v 4Ah and 80v 2Ah is same capacity, not sure which one has more raw power?
Mar 9, 2020
56 posts
66 upvotes
I have this. The kobalt branded version from lowes, same machine, made by greenworks. Its... OK.. i paid 239 for it last year. My review would be dont expect much from it. Its better than shoveling. But if its at all wet. Good luck. It clogs the shoot instantly. Don't expect to use this after a blizzard either. Its for medium to light duty only. The 40v Battery lasts well enough for a 2 car wide driveway. For 239 im fine with it. But for more, meh. I would pass. I wasn't willing to spend $400 last season so this fit the bill but if you have the funds to buy a better machine, buy a better machine.
Apr 21, 2012
454 posts
630 upvotes
Ontario
Higher voltage can give more torque and will have lower losses under the same torque. Losses are current (I) squared times resistance (I^2 x R). So losses increase at an expontential rate with current. P=I x V (power = current x voltage) so to get the same power with lower voltage requires more current which exponentially increases losses.
Apr 21, 2012
454 posts
630 upvotes
Ontario
I grabbed the 80V snow thrower and lawn mower. About time I get a snowblower. The reviews make it sound like the motor controller is dieing. Hopefully just a bunch of lemons and they fixed the design.
Mar 19, 2019
53 posts
31 upvotes
Quebec
mobbie wrote: I grabbed the 80V snow thrower and lawn mower. About time I get a snowblower. The reviews make it sound like the motor controller is dieing. Hopefully just a bunch of lemons and they fixed the design.
The reviews are quite old. I did not find a bad new review.
Virgin 25$ 5GB Unlimited / Virgin 50$ 6GB Unlimited
Apr 21, 2012
454 posts
630 upvotes
Ontario
YannF39839 wrote: The reviews are quite old. I did not find a bad new review.
Good stuff. The good reviews and pictures posted look promising. People who like it seem to love it.
Mar 19, 2019
28 posts
16 upvotes
The 80V at $315 is really attractive. Unfortunately, the 80V is no longer on sales.
Sep 18, 2019
141 posts
206 upvotes
oh nooo greenworks now at 399 again :(

so just $329 original deal at rona
Aug 21, 2013
167 posts
146 upvotes
Kitchener
scrubfordeals wrote: What you also mean is that the time they last maybe the same but the raw power output of 80V will be more than the 40V. I think folks need to decide what is more important - runtime or power output (or both!!)
What quetzpro meant is that both the 40V 4Ah and the 80V 2Ah have the same amount of energy storage. If they are both using the same amount of power they will have the same battery life (well the 80V will be marginally longer due to lower losses.)
The 40V looks identical to the 80V, I'd bet the only difference is the motor is just spec'd to work with a different voltage (and associated electronics) to produce the speed and torque. Really it's only advantage is in theory is the 80V being slightly more efficient. The performance difference really will be negligible.
Between the 40V and 80V snow blower you should pick the one that matches your other outdoor tools (or other tools that you plan to buy.)

Disclaimer: I own the 80V Kobalt one and havent used it but it really does look like a toy. I make all these assumptions based on how product design usually works and my experience as an electrical engineer