Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Rona

Hot Coal. Kamado Joe Lump Charcoals - XL Pieces - 20 lb $23.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 10:31 pm
Mar 8, 2006
993 posts
1223 upvotes

[Rona] Hot Coal. Kamado Joe Lump Charcoals - XL Pieces - 20 lb $23.99

Ran out of charcoal this week and have been looking for a while. $23.99 for 20lb Kamado Joe charcoal. Pretty good reviews.

It’s sold out at most other retailers. Canadian Tire has 30lb bags but $44.99 and a lot of stores in Ontario don’t have them.
95 replies
Dec 3, 2015
135 posts
143 upvotes
SK
That is a good price for Kamado, now do I return the unopened 30lb to Can Tire to get this or just get more at this better price and average down haha.
Either way I’ll be running the kettle full tilt this summer!
Dec 12, 2019
979 posts
702 upvotes
How does it compare to Costco Lump charcoals?

Superior?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2756 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
Costco sells theirs for $17.99 a bag, is it worth the $6 difference?
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Roger and Virgin Mobile.
Feb 12, 2006
382 posts
82 upvotes
Laval
Costco one's aren't big blocks, at least in the green bags around here.

Headbeancounter wrote: Costco sells theirs for $17.99 a bag, is it worth the $6 difference?
Feb 6, 2019
833 posts
2906 upvotes
Niagara Region
Looks like a great deal, I will give it a try. I have some of the Weber and Kingsford charcoal so I will see how they compare.

Thanks OP!
Aug 25, 2021
62 posts
73 upvotes
Great price for KJ charcoal.

What I saw at CostCo is the Cowboy Lump Charcoal

The Costco charcoal is not bad but big difference between this and the Kamado Joe charcoal. Kamado Joe charcoal has much much bigger pieces and a lot less small fragments, dust, etc.

I usually keep both on hand.

CostCo charcoal - for hot & fast 1,2,3 hour cooks like like chicken wings, rotisserie chicken, burgers, fish, etc.

Kamado Joe charcoal - for 5-10-15-20 hour cookes like whole brisket, whole pork shoulder, etc.

Dickson BBQ also sells KJ & Jealous Devil bags for $5 off for ripped bags (they weigh in at 100% and are reinforced with cardboard boxes, bags were just damaged in shipping.)
Mar 15, 2005
869 posts
819 upvotes
Costco used to sell Xylo and Natures own charcoal , it was decent sided chunks, I think it was mostly maple which isnt as dense as other hardwoods so it burns quick but it was clean. it was also only $13 / bag I believe both were from Quebec.

The stuff Costco carries nowadays is Cowboy brand made by duraflame - the same company that makes wax firelogs. IMHO its garbage. There are some chunks but the bag is riddled with twigs, dust, and at least 5-6 concrete chunks in every bag. That and it has an off-putting smell. It also burns extremely quick, forcing you to use more.

JK Big block is good stuff. Large chunks, neutral smoke flavour. Its quite dense wood meaning it will burn for much longer. I usually use the cheap stuff for a quick cook like burgers or chicken, and will use premium stuff like this for longer cooks like ribs or a brisket.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
2008 posts
2044 upvotes
VANCOUVER
discoblues wrote: Costco used to sell Xylo and Natures own charcoal , it was decent sided chunks, I think it was mostly maple which isnt as dense as other hardwoods so it burns quick but it was clean. it was also only $13 / bag I believe both were from Quebec.

The stuff Costco carries nowadays is Cowboy brand made by duraflame - the same company that makes wax firelogs. IMHO its garbage. There are some chunks but the bag is riddled with twigs, dust, and at least 5-6 concrete chunks in every bag. That and it has an off-putting smell. It also burns extremely quick, forcing you to use more.

JK Big block is good stuff. Large chunks, neutral smoke flavour. Its quite dense wood meaning it will burn for much longer. I usually use the cheap stuff for a quick cook like burgers or chicken, and will use premium stuff like this for longer cooks like ribs or a brisket.
I agree. While I only tried one bag of cowboy, I have similar sentiments. Not only did my bag burn fast, it sparked like crazy to the point it was a fire hazard.

I use big block and will stock up at this price. This does last longer.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3135 posts
1133 upvotes
Winnipeg
Adster wrote: That is a good price for Kamado, now do I return the unopened 30lb to Can Tire to get this or just get more at this better price and average down haha.
Either way I’ll be running the kettle full tilt this summer!
You can never have too much charcoal
Dec 10, 2007
101 posts
174 upvotes
Winnipeg
These is some of the best lump charcoal I've found. The blocks are almost too big at times..

Historic pricing has been $29.99 with a buy 2 get one free promo, but I haven't seen that in a few years at least. I'll gladly go pick up 3 bags at $24 per.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2016
1211 posts
390 upvotes
Noob question. Use of this charcoal?thanks.
Aug 25, 2021
62 posts
73 upvotes
frendzpz wrote: Noob question. Use of this charcoal?thanks.
Low & slow bbq in charcoal grill
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
Super hot, ordered 5 bags. Thanks OP.

For those wondering. When you buy lump charcoal, you can usually bin them into 3 price categories:
$1/lb: Royal Oak (garbage, mostly chips and dust), Cowboy (decent chunks, lots of weird stuff like tongue and groove flooring piece, nails, rocks), Vision Grills (my top pick for this price category, very sparky). I try to avoid all of these unless I've run out and have to buy from Canadian Tire or Home Depot in a pinch.
$1.50/lb: Kamado Joe (good sized chunks, long burning), Fogo Premium, etc, This is probably the sweet spot for general purpose / everyday use.
$2/lb: Jealous Devil, Fogo Super premium, etc. Large, dense, long burning chunks. Save these for the high dollar low and slow cooks like Wagyu briskets.

Also good to note that the pricier stuff tends to burn longer so you use less of it and has much less waste (dust/rocks, etc) which narrows the price gap.
Last edited by Strider on May 5th, 2022 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
May 5, 2016
772 posts
1071 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Don't buy Cowboy! Agree with a few of the posters above, it's terrible stuff. I can't believe Costco is still selling this crap.

My experience is it doesn't get hot at all. Worst temperature control out of any charcoal I've ever used. And trust me, I'm a really easy going guy. Not too many charcoals that I've despised.
Stay positive, stay frugal. 😃
Nov 12, 2020
84 posts
120 upvotes
In my experience, the Jealous Devil stuff is a significant upgrade over the KJ brand charcoal.
It just burns cleaner.
Oct 31, 2010
914 posts
812 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks op, been waiting for a deal on lump charcoal. Ordered 3 bags.
Apr 10, 2007
222 posts
272 upvotes
Thanks for sharing OP.

Best deal on KJ Big Block I've seen in almost 3 years, which was the last time I stocked up. Lowe's had a buy 2 bags, get 1 free when they were $30 a bag. I placed a bunch of orders for 6+3 bags and took advantage of a Lowe's spend $100 get $20 off promo.

Didn't think I was spending $800 on charcoal when I woke up this morning...

FYI - Lowe's just updated their site with the same price, seems to be better inventory in my area.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/charcoal-wood-chips/kamado-joe-kamado-joe-big-block-xl-lump-charcoal-702721
Aug 31, 2008
248 posts
72 upvotes
Newmarket/Markham
Strider wrote: Super hot, ordered 5 bags. Thanks OP.

For those wondering. When you buy lump charcoal, you can usually bin them into 3 price categories:
$1/lb: Royal Oak (garbage, mostly chips and dust), Cowboy (decent chunks, lots of weird stuff like tongue and groove flooring piece, nails, rocks), Vision Grills (my top pick for this price category, very sparky). I try to avoid all of these unless I've run out and have to buy from Canadian Tire or Home Depot in a pinch.
$1.50/lb: Kamado Joe (good sized chunks, long burning), Fogo Premium, etc, This is probably the sweet spot for general purpose / everyday use.
$2/lb: Jealous Devil, Fogo Super premium, etc. Large, dense, long burning chunks. Save these for the high dollar low and slow cooks like Wagyu briskets.

Also good to note that the pricier stuff tends to burn longer so you use less of it and has much less waste (dust/rocks, etc) which narrows the price gap.

This is a fantastic guide, especially for newer smokers to the game. I'm sure this will help a ton of people. Thanks for posting this!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
2008 posts
2044 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Waste wrote: Thanks for sharing OP.

Best deal on KJ Big Block I've seen in almost 3 years, which was the last time I stocked up. Lowe's had a buy 2 bags, get 1 free when they were $30 a bag. I placed a bunch of orders for 6+3 bags and took advantage of a Lowe's spend $100 get $20 off promo.

Didn't think I was spending $800 on charcoal when I woke up this morning...

FYI - Lowe's just updated their site with the same price, seems to be better inventory in my area.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/charcoal-wood-chips/kamado-joe-kamado-joe-big-block-xl-lump-charcoal-702721
I wish Lowes didn't have the sale so I could price match for an extra 10% off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)