[Rona] Hot Craftsman 208cc Single Stage Snowblower with Remote Chute $375

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2020 8:20 am
[OP]
Jul 17, 2010
307 posts
341 upvotes

[Rona] Hot Craftsman 208cc Single Stage Snowblower with Remote Chute $375

lot of stores still have stock. Hot deal for a fully featured single stage.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1644 posts
626 upvotes
Montreal
Your link didn't work for me, stupid rfd forwarding stuff, you can select and go to the webpage until someone smarter than me figures out how to do the link lol

Code: Select all

https://www.rona.ca/en/snowblower-1-stage-208-cc-21-black-02225393 
Oct 22, 2008
317 posts
251 upvotes
Gatineau, qc
andreid wrote:
testing!!!???
lol, that is one lame test. This thing doesn't look like something I'd want to use when I really need a snowblower.
Sep 29, 2012
192 posts
29 upvotes
Calgary
Still undecided if I should get this snow blower or wait till a Toro one goes on sale. I know Toro won't go this low as well. Have an 8yr old single stage Craftsman 123cc snow blower that's on its way out that this would replace. Not a fan of how the chute adjusts with a dial, seems to be a weak point in the construction of this blower.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1514 posts
1622 upvotes
Canada
andreid wrote:
testing!!!???
That one in the video looks so much different than the one in OP link. The one in OP is red handle, Chute crank handle, headlights etc.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15961 posts
4809 upvotes
London
These units are made by MTD and same machine appears under their various brands/ colors like Troy-bilt Squall 2100 (red) and Cub Cadet 1X (yellow) with slightly different features
I think MTD makes 3 engine sizes *179cc* and 208cc, For example, the Yard Machines version might only be 179cc. Look for the 208cc version

Here's a better video of the Cub Cadet version (208 cc like the OP)

OP machine

edited - changed 173cc to 179cc, removed 123cc as per mtd web site
Last edited by l69norm on Feb 8th, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8875 posts
9934 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
The original $750 price on this is rather comical. The $375 price is generally where it should be. As the reviews say... this one is rather cheaply built and struggles with any 6”+ snow.

But even at that price picking up a good condition used Honda HS621 is the route I’d go, if focused on single stage. Those machines with the GX160 engine will literally last forever. Just look at the construction of it including the chute handle.
Images
  • 69A972A2-0451-4BCD-95B6-F69C220512BD.jpeg
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15961 posts
4809 upvotes
London
t_mo_t wrote: I see 750?
Try changing the store to your local one. The QC stores seem to be $750
Dec 15, 2015
688 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
I have a blower similar to this. ( I think the yellow cub shown above actually)

It works a lot better than a shovel, but its not easy to use. Would highly recommend to save up and get a larger autodrive model.

My unit also vibrates like crazy because its mostly made of plastic causing the most of the bolts to loosen. The plastic shoot handle also doesn't hold its spot anymore. I've use the blower a total of 4 times this winter and we've had no more than a few inches of snow. I've lost 3 or 4 bolts now, and half of the upper handle section is being held together with zip ties. The unit was brand new at the beginning of winter (a gift from the old owner)

I would highly recommend saving for a unit with a primarily metal chassis and auto drive.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1837 posts
618 upvotes
Edmonton
redevil69 wrote: Still undecided if I should get this snow blower or wait till a Toro one goes on sale. I know Toro won't go this low as well. Have an 8yr old single stage Craftsman 123cc snow blower that's on its way out that this would replace. Not a fan of how the chute adjusts with a dial, seems to be a weak point in the construction of this blower.
Keep an eye on kijiji for a toro. I picked up a 721RC for 300 one day and it's been rock solid ever since. That's probably the way to go unless you need brand new.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4783 posts
2174 upvotes
Ottawa
the_cid666 wrote: lol, that is one lame test. This thing doesn't look like something I'd want to use when I really need a snowblower.
Dainty machines like this one are not up to what the Ottawa/Gatineau climate dishes out to us in the winter...
Dec 20, 2006
482 posts
126 upvotes
I got this from sears 5 years ago and it hasn't missed the mark. Does what I need it to do every snowfall and I like how it's easy to move around.

I live in Bolton w/4 car driveway and usually done with everything including my walkway around the house, mess left by snowplows at the end of the driveway etc within half hour.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4409 posts
2063 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: These units are made by MTD and same machine appears under their various brands/ colors like Troy-bilt Squall 2100 (red) and Cub Cadet 1X (yellow) with slightly different features
I think MTD makes 3 engine sizes 123cc, 173cc and 208cc, For example, the Yard Machines version might only be 173cc. Look for the 208cc version
On my 3rd year with the Cub Cadet 1X 208cc. It has worked well in Toronto. The only problem I had was the cables on the chute froze once. I waited for a warmer day to unfreeze, lubed them up and it has been fine ever since. At this price point it is worth getting.

This replaced a smaller 18" single stage Toro. The Toro's are better built. When it comes time to replace, I will likely go back to Toro.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
May 20, 2003
566 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
cartfan123 wrote: The original $750 price on this is rather comical. The $375 price is generally where it should be. As the reviews say... this one is rather cheaply built and struggles with any 6”+ snow.

But even at that price picking up a good condition used Honda HS621 is the route I’d go, if focused on single stage. Those machines with the GX160 engine will literally last forever. Just look at the construction of it including the chute handle.

This is the one I’ve been using for the last 20 years. To be fair, I only need it a few times a year anyway.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1471 posts
763 upvotes
Montreal
Some dude with a tractor does my driveway in about 5 seconds every snowstorm. Don't even know him.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage