• May 10th, 2019 8:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
101 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

Roof dilemma

We currently live in a bungalow in the east end of Toronto, with plans of knocking it down and building a new house in the next 5 years.

The problem is we’ve been told by numerous sources that the roof probably/may not last 5 years. So far we’ve had two companies provide quotes. Both quoted around 12k to replace the roof (shingles and boards), but one quoted 7k lto lay new shingles over the old and repair the drainage issues. Both are reputable operators and provide 10 years workmanship warranty.

So the dilemma is, do we

1. Ignore the dangers and hope the roof holds until we knock the house down.

2. Lay new shingles over old (cheaper option)

3. Install a new roof
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1769 posts
1072 upvotes
Agreed. Just keep an eye on it. If the house is coming down eventually you won't be overly concerned about roof leaks. You could always throw up some of that designer blue tarp that seems to be all the rage in poorly maintained houses when it does start to leak.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1860 posts
917 upvotes
If it were me and I was knocking the house down, I would choose 1.

If it helps any, I know someone who has an unfinished roof for about 5years...he has had blue tarp and buckets around the house ... and he has no intention of tearing the house down though :facepalm: :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15768 posts
5948 upvotes
One of the scenarios where installing shingles over top of existing is a poor idea is when the existing are in poor shape. If your roof is as bad as these "reputable" companies are letting on then they should not be shingling over top of them.

I would personally just wait until it breaks and then fix the section that is broken. Spending $7000 on an entire roof is a waste if you truly want to tear it down so soon.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4889 posts
307 upvotes
Unless it's gonna cave in and kill you just tarp it if you're gonna tear it down eventually.
Mar 23, 2006
966 posts
187 upvotes
lestat83 wrote:
May 7th, 2019 9:19 pm

The problem is we’ve been told by numerous sources that the roof probably/may not last 5 years. So far we’ve had two companies provide quotes. Both quoted around 12k to replace the roof (shingles and boards), but one quoted 7k lto lay new shingles over the old and repair the drainage issues. Both are reputable operators and provide 10 years workmanship warranty.
a couple pictures of the current roof would should provide a much clearer view of the real status.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11364 posts
5790 upvotes
Toronto
fusion2k2k wrote:
May 7th, 2019 9:53 pm
Agreed. Just keep an eye on it. If the house is coming down eventually you won't be overly concerned about roof leaks. You could always throw up some of that designer blue tarp that seems to be all the rage in poorly maintained houses when it does start to leak.
lol.

OP, another alternative, if you dare, it a big bucket of tar and mop. Get up there and make your roof like a runway.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Jan 21, 2018
663 posts
587 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you know if your current roof has a proper underlay? Unfortunately in Ontario it's still permitted to lay shingles directly on top of the roof deck with no underlay, and many cheap builders and roofers do that. It's a disaster when the shingles start to fail, because water can then reach the roof deck through any tiny crack or gap in the shingles, with nothing to stop it. If you have an underlay, it provides a second layer of protection that can stopgap an old shingle roof for a few years.

Personally I think living with a failing roof that's constantly developing leaks and needing repair for 5 years would be a nightmare.
Mar 22, 2017
516 posts
400 upvotes
If you're tearing down the house in five years, don't put a cent into it. Who cares if it leaks? Unless the home is in danger of collapsing or the improvement is very cheap, forget it. That would be money down the drain.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6063 posts
1702 upvotes
Whitby
koffey wrote:
May 8th, 2019 9:43 am
OP, another alternative, if you dare, it a big bucket of tar and mop. Get up there and make your roof like a runway.
Kidding aside, not a terrible suggestion if he has someone coat the shingles with a decent product. Won't hurt the shingles and having someone apply a layer of (drawing a blank, fiberous something at Rona) will certainly prevent some potential leaks. If shingles are blowing away in the wind it won't help, but if edges are curling/degrading we used it on a cottage flip to get from fall to following summer and it really held up well. Not going to last 5 years though, and if shingles are taking flight it won't hold them down.
Might prevent water leak into wall in winter that isn't discovered till its a moldy mess etc.
Oct 3, 2011
415 posts
242 upvotes
OTTAWA
have any of these companies even bothered to tell you where problem areas might be? If not and they want to do the whole roof, then they want to take your money, especially after you've told them the house is coming down. As long as there is no structural/danger issue or anything of value in danger of being destroyed, Then ride that sucker to the end.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24059 posts
9016 upvotes
Toronto
grumble wrote:
May 8th, 2019 10:05 am
If you're tearing down the house in five years, don't put a cent into it. Who cares if it leaks? Unless the home is in danger of collapsing or the improvement is very cheap, forget it. That would be money down the drain.
Mold can easily developed and may cause all kinds of health issues (esp. if you have really young & old members in the family).
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
101 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies.

One of the people quoting said it appears the previous roof application was not done to a professional standard: Sky lights etc weren't sealed and the appropriate drainage wasn't installed. He also said that there is a very good chance there is already sections that are leaking and the underlay would be rotting in parts, the roof replacement he was quoting included new underlay.

Poor installation aside, one side of the roof is visibly wearing (shingles are peeling)

I'm certainly not getting on the roof to make any changes myself and we do have children in the house so living with mold would be a problem.

I'm leaning towards adding the second layer of shingles which will come with a workmanship warranty beyond the 5 years.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11364 posts
5790 upvotes
Toronto
Underlay typically does not cover the whole roof, so if it is was really installed that bad and has been leaking for x number of years it's not the underlay that would be rotting, it would be the boards and if mould is a concern, I would get the attic inspected asap cause you are already living with it.

Just my 2 cents.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1892 posts
874 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I'd leave the roof as is and move up the timeline for the teardown... Maybe start in 2-3 years