Home & Garden

Roof Flashing

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 10:33 am
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Jul 3, 2007
295 posts
19 upvotes

Roof Flashing

I have a crack in the caulking between the roof and flashing. What type of caulking should I use to replace it? I bought dap dynaflex ultra as it matches the flashing colour but not sure if it's ok to use.
Images
  • 20200813_184216.jpg
2012 Wins
3 wins for $38.42
18 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12410 posts
7587 upvotes
Paris
It will crack just as this stuff did. Mulch sealants are best for exterior
[OP]
Member
Jul 3, 2007
295 posts
19 upvotes
Can you send a link of what a mulch sealant is? Is it for landscape purposes? Typically what do roofers use?
2012 Wins
3 wins for $38.42
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2760 posts
2809 upvotes
Ottawa
We had our roof done recently.

Every estimate that actually specified their caulking in the estimate used Mulco Supra Expert around the chimney flashing.
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2016
969 posts
889 upvotes
Comox Valley
johntdsb wrote: Can you send a link of what a mulch sealant is? Is it for landscape purposes? Typically what do roofers use?
The caulking spec here, is new for me to. I took it for granted it would be like a butyl caulking, as it will flex.
Sr. Member
Aug 4, 2006
721 posts
328 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
johntdsb wrote: Can you send a link of what a mulch sealant is? Is it for landscape purposes? Typically what do roofers use?
I think Jerico made a typo. He is a big fan of Mulco
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12410 posts
7587 upvotes
Paris
2flags wrote: I think Jerico made a typo. He is a big fan of Mulco
I did indeed. I think I was watching TV and reading the forum and not paying full attention to auto correct at the time.

Im only a fan of what works and we dont get call backs from.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1004 posts
455 upvotes
Jerico wrote: I did indeed. I think I was watching TV and reading the forum and not paying full attention to auto correct at the time.

Im only a fan of what works and we dont get call backs from.
If tiny gaps appear in caulking around brickmold, is it safe to just spot correct with more mulco or do you have to rip all the old caulking (it's relatively new - 1-2 years) out for it to stick real well?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2760 posts
2809 upvotes
Ottawa
Katedontbreak wrote: If tiny gaps appear in caulking around brickmold, is it safe to just spot correct with more mulco or do you have to rip all the old caulking (it's relatively new - 1-2 years) out for it to stick real well?
That's really early for the caulking around the brick to be failing. I was told I probably don't have to worry much about it for the life of the roof, but should inspect it every time I clean the gutters starting at about 5 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1004 posts
455 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: That's really early for the caulking around the brick to be failing. I was told I probably don't have to worry much about it for the life of the roof, but should inspect it every time I clean the gutters starting at about 5 years.
Unfortunately it's been failing since they put the door in. Little cracks in the corners and a few small gaps at the brick mold. I've had Verdun send their guy out 2 times and he just spot corrected as well and it kept "regapping" so i figure I should try doing it myself.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12410 posts
7587 upvotes
Paris
Katedontbreak wrote: If tiny gaps appear in caulking around brickmold, is it safe to just spot correct with more mulco or do you have to rip all the old caulking (it's relatively new - 1-2 years) out for it to stick real well?
Mulco adheres to Mulco so you should be fine. Gaps should not have appeared though if properly applied in the first place. This stuff isnt caulking like we think of it around a bathtub, you put a LOT on.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12410 posts
7587 upvotes
Paris
Katedontbreak wrote: Unfortunately it's been failing since they put the door in. Little cracks in the corners and a few small gaps at the brick mold. I've had Verdun send their guy out 2 times and he just spot corrected as well and it kept "regapping" so i figure I should try doing it myself.
Cracks? I need to see a picture.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1004 posts
455 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Cracks? I need to see a picture.
I mean where the mulco was used to cover the corner pieces of the brick mold. The product just "cracked" where the gap of the two meeting pieces were. Also cracked at the bottom corner where mulco wss used to seal the sill to the frame.

Do you still need a picture? I can take one for you when i get home. Thanks Jerico.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1004 posts
455 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Mulco adheres to Mulco so you should be fine. Gaps should not have appeared though if properly applied in the first place. This stuff isnt caulking like we think of it around a bathtub, you put a LOT on.
The installer at NC did it and sebsequently the tech at Verdun came and "fixed" it twice. Always just cracked in the same spots immedatiately so I've just left it. Probably not a good idea so I should perhaps try to fill the gaps myself.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12410 posts
7587 upvotes
Paris
Katedontbreak wrote: I mean where the mulco was used to cover the corner pieces of the brick mold. The product just "cracked" where the gap of the two meeting pieces were. Also cracked at the bottom corner where mulco wss used to seal the sill to the frame.

Do you still need a picture? I can take one for you when i get home. Thanks Jerico.
Ah yes... brickmold moves and there is no great seal for the corners on some doors. They need to be welded together to not come apart.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1004 posts
455 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Ah yes... brickmold moves and there is no great seal for the corners on some doors. They need to be welded together to not come apart.
Should I just attempt to fill these in a little deeper as much as possible or just leave it as is? I figure wind driven rain and pooling of snow could cause some water to get it. Not a major big deal as no water seems to get in the house but just to do what I can to seal it up?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12410 posts
7587 upvotes
Paris
Katedontbreak wrote: Should I just attempt to fill these in a little deeper as much as possible or just leave it as is? I figure wind driven rain and pooling of snow could cause some water to get it. Not a major big deal as no water seems to get in the house but just to do what I can to seal it up?
You can try and fill them but seasonal movement will mess you up.
[OP]
Member
Jul 3, 2007
295 posts
19 upvotes
Does the stuff in my original picture look like mulco? Just wondering if I should rip it all out or just add to it. Also where do you buy the mulch supra expert? Rona has mulco products but not the supra expert
2012 Wins
3 wins for $38.42

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)