Roof flashing around window question

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 3:17 pm
[OP]
Oct 6, 2007
98 posts
2 upvotes

Roof flashing around window question

I had some flashing replaced below a window after my shingle install. The old flashing was just on the side brick and was nicely cut out around the window opening corner. The new flashing as you can see is bent over onto the window sill and just doesn't look right. Plus there is a low spot (the 4 lines) that can accumulate water. Does this look right to anyone here? Should I get this redone?
Images
  • flashing.jpg
  • flashing-2.jpg
2 replies
Oct 22, 2016
689 posts
585 upvotes
Comox Valley
MorePower wrote: I had some flashing replaced below a window after my shingle install. The old flashing was just on the side brick and was nicely cut out around the window opening corner. The new flashing as you can see is bent over onto the window sill and just doesn't look right. Plus there is a low spot (the 4 lines) that can accumulate water. Does this look right to anyone here? Should I get this redone?
You are 100% correct in your concerns. One thing to keep in mind, is you want the rainwater to shed off the top piece of flashing, over another piece of flashing. This will keep he water from getting behind a flashing, and finding an entrance into it. They did caulk the higher piece, but that will loosen over time causing a leak.

Workmanship is lacking in the photos of the flashing. Under the circumstances it did not look like they had a hand seamer at the very least.

Another concern is they put flashing going over the shingles, up the length of the roof. When you had the shingles done, did they install step flashing properly as photo? My concern is not seeing it because it is covered by the flashing. And by them nailing through the flashing, into the field of the shingles is defeating the proper use of step flashing, and having these nails been a possible point of leaking in the future.

And lastly we have the one piece sidewalk flashing against the brick. Ideally you would have counter flashing into the mortar joints of the brick, and over the top of the step flashing, in this case sidewall flashing. Because you do not have that, I would prefer to have the top of this sidewall flashing have a lip at the top to accept this caulking. I can not tell from photo if that lip is present. However some people say a sidewall flashing is never allowed (I disagree with them)
https://www.nachi.org/flashing-part2-13.htm
“ If you see continuous, one-piece flashing like this used as sidewall flashing with shakes, shingles or slate, it’s a defective installation, no matter how often you see it.”
Images
  • 0E65E1C9-BA02-4C9D-8AAC-5537F12B500A.jpeg
[OP]
Oct 6, 2007
98 posts
2 upvotes
Yes there was step flashing installed during the shingle install. I talked to the project supervisor and they came down and looked at it. It definitely was not supposed to be like that. Pictures where sent to head office and I'm sure it will be redone by someone else. The only issue now is that they don't scuff up that bottom window cap or that will also need to be replaced :facepalm: