• Jul 31st, 2020 12:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes

Roof + Insurance ?

I had a roofer at my house, which is 10 years old.

The last couple wind storms I’ve ended up having tabs blow off the roof. Twice I’ve had some replace the missing tabs, but I have a couple spots with missing tabs still.

Basically the roofer said with the amount of damaged shingles I would be able to put in an insurance claim to have the entire roof replaced.

I also have a spot in the ceiling of the garage of a water spot. He suggests it’s from directional rain from high winds blowing water under the unstuck shingles.

Now, this seems too good to be true.

I watched him on the roof marking off a bunch of areas. There were a lot of loose tabs lifting up.

However, this seems like there has to be a catch.

Can I honestly pay my $500 deductible and get a new roof?

What questions should I be asking?

Is this normal?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2552 posts
2498 upvotes
Ottawa
There is a catch. Your premiums will increase.

10 years isn't much life.

Who was your roofer or builder?
What shingles?

It sounds like builder grade 3-tab shingles. Probably IKO?

We just had ours re-roofed. The roofer offers a 10 year workmanship warranty, the manufacturer extends that workmanship warranty to 25 years because of his certifications, and the shingles themselves are product warrantied to 50 years. Non-prorated, and includes materials and all labour to remove and re-install.

Look into the warranty first.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: There is a catch. Your premiums will increase.

10 years isn't much life.

Who was your roofer or builder?
What shingles?

It sounds like builder grade 3-tab shingles. Probably IKO?

We just had ours re-roofed. The roofer offers a 10 year workmanship warranty, the manufacturer extends that workmanship warranty to 25 years because of his certifications, and the shingles themselves are product warrantied to 50 years. Non-prorated, and includes materials and all labour to remove and re-install.

Look into the warranty first.
Shingles are 3 tab basic builder grade shingles.

A few homes in the neighborhood have had partial insurance replacements. The one I spoke to said their insurance $ did not go up.

My other neighbor had the same guy check his roof. Not nearly as bad as mine but he said the same thing to him. Enough damage to replace it. He called his broker and the broker said he’s not going to get a new roof and never should have put a claim through

My roof had a ALOT of lifted shingles and a good number of broken off tabs.

We were planning on a new roof soon as well. Quoted $17K a few years ago which is 🤮
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2552 posts
2498 upvotes
Ottawa
Easto wrote: My other neighbor had the same guy check his roof. Not nearly as bad as mine but he said the same thing to him. Enough damage to replace it. He called his broker and the broker said he’s not going to get a new roof and never should have put a claim through
He might have claims forgiveness in his policy. My home insurance policy will not increase premiums after the first claim, but it sure will after the second. Check your policy.

A denied claim usually shouldn't impact your premiums (may depend on the company; the act of submitting a claim can sometimes impact), so it might be worth just asking your provider to assess...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5764 posts
1596 upvotes
your insurance may not go up
if you have a second seemingly minor claim you will not get home insurance from a normal company
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes
We had an issue with car insurance when my wife got in a bender bender. I called insurance for advice to make a claim versus not making a claim.

They ended up telling me since I disclosed damage I have to get it fixed and sent proof it was fixed. The manage was cosmetic but now I had to fix it.

If I call about the roof am I now stuck in a corner where insurance says now I have to fix it all. Either pay out of pocket or make a claim but any water damage from today and on won’t be covered because I neglected to fix the damage

I’m a bit confused and don’t want to get screwed and end up having to:

A. make a bad claim

B. Pay out of pocket for a $17K roof right now

I am totally good making the claim if it’s the right thing to do. I just don’t know how to determine if it’s the right thing to do
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
17k? either your roof is quite complex or you have a very big house/roof... that's a tad on the high end -- I've had quotes from 5k to 12k for a 3300 sq ft home -- mostly the reputable ones were at 10-12k max... same as the houses in my neighborhood who went Certainteed (not the 3 tab ones for sure)

Now as to go through insurance, I would personally not do it for reasons already stated by some posters - you most likely will have to pay more for claims later...

if you don't have the 10-17k for now, i'd just do some spot repairs for the next few years -- how bad are the lifting/flying off of the 3 tabs? is wood completely exposed? or is the "underlayer" still there (eg i am not saying not to repair even if the underlayer is still there, BUT, it gives one an extent of how your shingles blow off -- as in just the tabs or the entire shingle including the one part that is nailed... I've seen some in my neighborhood that had only 1 tab of the shingle missing (I run a lot i get bored sometimes and look at these things for lack of anything else - i dont listen to music while running LOL) and have never had it replaced for years now -- I don't think the homeowners saw it - at least 4-5 in my neighborhood...)
Heck, if the "underlayer" is still there, there's a 2 in 3 chance that you'll be fine if it's just one tab (out of 3 in a standard shingle) that's missing but i digress LOL...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8038 posts
9012 upvotes
Montréal
Easto wrote: We had an issue with car insurance when my wife got in a bender bender. I called insurance for advice to make a claim versus not making a claim.

They ended up telling me since I disclosed damage I have to get it fixed and sent proof it was fixed. The manage was cosmetic but now I had to fix it.

If I call about the roof am I now stuck in a corner where insurance says now I have to fix it all. Either pay out of pocket or make a claim but any water damage from today and on won’t be covered because I neglected to fix the damage

I’m a bit confused and don’t want to get screwed and end up having to:

A. make a bad claim

B. Pay out of pocket for a $17K roof right now

I am totally good making the claim if it’s the right thing to do. I just don’t know how to determine if it’s the right thing to do
For sure your insurance will ask tout to fix the roof and will ask for proof as well at the minute you'll tell them that there is damage that can cause water infiltration which can lead to another claim....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes
This isn’t a simple as I’d like it to be.

When something seems too good to be true .....
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
Easto wrote: This isn’t a simple as I’d like it to be.

When something seems too good to be true .....
There you go.... You found your answer... Hope rfd forum helped... If it's too good to be true, make sure you think things through...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7514 posts
8082 upvotes
Vancouver
Read your insurance documents carefully. Your roof has depreciating value, and if it is damaged the insurance may not pay the full value of a replacement roof, only the depreciated value. For example if your roof costs $15K to replace, and yours is 10 years old, they may deem it to have only $5K remaining value, so that's all they will pay. Minus deductible.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2552 posts
2498 upvotes
Ottawa
LPGA2020 wrote: 17k? either your roof is quite complex or you have a very big house/roof... that's a tad on the high end -- I've had quotes from 5k to 12k for a 3300 sq ft home -- mostly the reputable ones were at 10-12k max... same as the houses in my neighborhood who went Certainteed (not the 3 tab ones for sure)
3300 sq ft on one? Where do you live to receive quotes that low? Or what is the quote missing? Does it include 6' of ice and water barrier, vent replacement, new drip edge and flashing? Are they tearing down to plywood?

I have a 1200 sq ft bungalow with a simple roof, 1900 sq ft of shingles. 10 estimates ranged from $7400 to $12000 (after tax). I paid about $9500 all-in for CertainTeed Landmark Pro, with all vents and metal replaced, installed to max wind rating, and a 50 year product / 25 year workmanship warranty.

I had my estimates done in March during the height of the pandemic shutdowns, when roofers were begging for work.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7514 posts
8082 upvotes
Vancouver
Dynatos wrote: 10 estimates ranged from $7400 to $12000 (after tax).
That's probably the best advice on getting a good quote for roof replacement or repair: get several quotes with breakdowns and start comparing the details and asking questions about the differences. You probably don't need as many as 10 to start getting the idea of what needs to be done and what doesn't, and what the options cost. You don't get something for nothing. Roofers all have to pay for materials used and hours of labour expended. If their price is cheap, it's missing something. If it's especially expensive, they may be gold-plating the job with unnecessary extras. And of course you can always negotiate the price a little after you've picked a couple of leading alternatives.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2552 posts
2498 upvotes
Ottawa
Scote64 wrote: That's probably the best advice on getting a good quote for roof replacement or repair: get several quotes and start comparing them and asking questions about the differences. You probably don't need as many as 10 to start getting the idea of what needs to be done and what doesn't, and what the options cost. You don't get something for nothing. Roofers all have to pay for materials used and hours of labour expended. If their price is cheap, it's missing something. If it's especially expensive, they may be gold-plating the job with unnecessary extras. And of course you can always negotiate the price a little after you've picked a couple of leading alternatives.
Yup.

The $7400 was a lower grade of shingle by a second rate manufacturer with a lower grade of underlay.

The $12k quote was identical in materials, warranty, etc to what we ended up paying.

I had no idea what I was looking for when I got the first 6 estimates. Then I refined, and the remaining 4 were to compare apples to apples. I was also expecting only half of the companies I called to show up and estimate, based on what folks had told me from last year; but it turns out last year was busy due to storm damage, and this year they were begging for work because of the pandemic.
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
Dynatos wrote: 3300 sq ft on one? Where do you live to receive quotes that low? Or what is the quote missing? Does it include 6' of ice and water barrier, vent replacement, new drip edge and flashing? Are they tearing down to plywood?

I have a 1200 sq ft bungalow with a simple roof, 1900 sq ft of shingles. 10 estimates ranged from $7400 to $12000 (after tax). I paid about $9500 all-in for CertainTeed Landmark Pro, with all vents and metal replaced, installed to max wind rating, and a 50 year product / 25 year workmanship warranty.

I had my estimates done in March during the height of the pandemic shutdowns, when roofers were begging for work.
On one? No 3300 sq ft 2 storey home (not 3300 sq ft roof LOL). Yes complete tear down to plywood, replace flashing/ vents, ice shield up to 6 feet... Most of them 10-12k... Of course I ignored the 5000-8000 nonsense
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2552 posts
2498 upvotes
Ottawa
LPGA2020 wrote: On one? No 3300 sq ft 2 storey home (not 3300 sq ft roof LOL). Yes complete tear down to plywood, replace flashing/ vents, ice shield up to 6 feet... Most of them 10-12k... Of course I ignored the 5000-8000 nonsense
On one story is what I meant.

Ok, that makes more sense then. That's probably the same or smaller roof than ours. You had me wondering if I got swindled by multiple companies.

I agree that $17k sounds like a large number unless we're talking a higher grade polymer shingle, a large roof, or a complicated roof with tons of peaks and valleys and/or flat spots.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)