Roof leak or attic condensation?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2022 9:20 am
[OP]
Mar 1, 2021
33 posts
6 upvotes

Roof leak or attic condensation?

Hi everyone, hoping to get your opinion based on experience you had or someone you know had.

Had a leakage at one spot of my roof. Roofer Xxx would not provide warranty if they repair just that spot of the roof, so I went with them to replace the entire roof back in Oct 2021.
Fast forward to Jan 2022, I notice dark water marks on some plywoods seen from the attic that I didn’t see before. Please refer to attached photos.
Called the roofer back to inspect, took 4 attempts rescheduling he finally came by in Mar 2022 and confirms it’s condensation, no leak. I’m not convinced because they were not there before when I checked the attic prior to roof replacement.
Roofer Xxx refused to do anything about it because he says there is no problem.
Due to the odd angle by the edge, if they’re leakage, it’s going to take a few years to develop and damage the subfloor and wall before I can see it from the drywall. Or maybe not visible at all.
Roofer Xxx is not willing to guarantee to repair all associated materials in the future if caused by this issue I’m calling out. He would only fix the roof if under warranty. I understand it might be a big effort to fix this right now when the real damage is not visible, all I’m asking is for him to send me some kind of confirmation that he’s responsible for fixing the subfloor/drywall as well, yet he disagrees.

I will call up another roofer to check on this. Meanwhile, would you guys be able to tell from these photos whether they are leakage from roof or condensation? Or maybe educate me how they could have water marks like this? Thanks.

I know I’m paranoid by previous leakage into the house which was the reason I had the whole roof replaced. Money spent and the least I want happen is the return of leakage from different spots.
Images
  • 97BE3C2D-6515-43E8-8ECD-FB687E26F7CC.jpeg
  • 18028181-33DF-4979-B541-C803E5ED6FFD.jpeg
  • 00990056-EF19-4085-915A-22CF68FDC698.jpeg
4 replies
Oct 22, 2016
937 posts
856 upvotes
Comox Valley
Sedan007 wrote: Hi everyone, hoping to get your opinion based on experience you had or someone you know had.

Had a leakage at one spot of my roof. Roofer Xxx would not provide warranty if they repair just that spot of the roof, so I went with them to replace the entire roof back in Oct 2021.
Fast forward to Jan 2022, I notice dark water marks on some plywoods seen from the attic that I didn’t see before. Please refer to attached photos.
Called the roofer back to inspect, took 4 attempts rescheduling he finally came by in Mar 2022 and confirms it’s condensation, no leak. I’m not convinced because they were not there before when I checked the attic prior to roof replacement.
Roofer Xxx refused to do anything about it because he says there is no problem.
Due to the odd angle by the edge, if they’re leakage, it’s going to take a few years to develop and damage the subfloor and wall before I can see it from the drywall. Or maybe not visible at all.
Roofer Xxx is not willing to guarantee to repair all associated materials in the future if caused by this issue I’m calling out. He would only fix the roof if under warranty. I understand it might be a big effort to fix this right now when the real damage is not visible, all I’m asking is for him to send me some kind of confirmation that he’s responsible for fixing the subfloor/drywall as well, yet he disagrees.

I will call up another roofer to check on this. Meanwhile, would you guys be able to tell from these photos whether they are leakage from roof or condensation? Or maybe educate me how they could have water marks like this? Thanks.

I know I’m paranoid by previous leakage into the house which was the reason I had the whole roof replaced. Money spent and the least I want happen is the return of leakage from different spots.

One question is is it leaking or condensation. I could not see a specific issue in the first 2 photos. In the last photo, it did appear to be a roof leak, instead of condensation. The amount of staining on the wood, was excessive. But as an ex-roofing contractor, I always wanted to see it dripping water, to give me confirmation it was a roof leak. I can understand your contractor been leery in calling it a roof leak.

I am going to suggest, that with spring coming, each time it rains heavy, go into your attic, to see if you see any more of this fresh staining. If so take your photos, and raise it again with your contractor.

Second thing is review the specifications of the roof they installed. In only rare cases, would it leak after installing. What you want to know, is what slope is your roof. Did it need plywood installed over the boards. Proper vents (air) installed on your roof, and sufficient soffit vents. Is your bathroom, and kitchen exhaust vented to go outside.

As for damage that happens, to your drywall etc, after roof installed. If you had a roof leak that happened immediately after roof was installed, we would cover that damage. The reason for that, is roof leak should not have happened, and it would be a workmanship failure on our part. But if damage happened 2 years plus after out installed roof. We would not cover interior damage. Roofs are not fail proof, and those things do happen, due to lack of maintenance, animals on roof, or etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1298 posts
515 upvotes
Ice dams? Your slope seems conducive to it
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
[OP]
Mar 1, 2021
33 posts
6 upvotes
dling7 wrote: Ice dams? Your slope seems conducive to it
The roofer says he installed ice and water sheet that should repel water /waterproof from outside .
I doubt the moisture from ice dams can cause those dark water marks when it’s only been fewer than 5 months.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2021
33 posts
6 upvotes
User452441 wrote: One question is is it leaking or condensation. I could not see a specific issue in the first 2 photos. In the last photo, it did appear to be a roof leak, instead of condensation. The amount of staining on the wood, was excessive. But as an ex-roofing contractor, I always wanted to see it dripping water, to give me confirmation it was a roof leak. I can understand your contractor been leery in calling it a roof leak.

I am going to suggest, that with spring coming, each time it rains heavy, go into your attic, to see if you see any more of this fresh staining. If so take your photos, and raise it again with your contractor.

Second thing is review the specifications of the roof they installed. In only rare cases, would it leak after installing. What you want to know, is what slope is your roof. Did it need plywood installed over the boards. Proper vents (air) installed on your roof, and sufficient soffit vents. Is your bathroom, and kitchen exhaust vented to go outside.

As for damage that happens, to your drywall etc, after roof installed. If you had a roof leak that happened immediately after roof was installed, we would cover that damage. The reason for that, is roof leak should not have happened, and it would be a workmanship failure on our part. But if damage happened 2 years plus after out installed roof. We would not cover interior damage. Roofs are not fail proof, and those things do happen, due to lack of maintenance, animals on roof, or etc.
Thanks for your profession opinion.
The last photo does call for the most concern. There is a piece of shingle sticking out between the plywoods. Shingles are supposed to be sticking overlaying on top of each other by a few inches. So if it pokes through the waterproof sheet then that’d be the passage for water to sip through.