Roof Missing Shingles ,repair

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2019 10:05 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes

Roof Missing Shingles ,repair

Hey,I have two storey house,found shingles missing 3 to 5 in total on east and west side.I live in Bradford. I do not think it is hard to repair it,but it is hard for me to climb up to the roof.Any recommendation in that area someone can fix it?
15 replies
Feb 11, 2018
279 posts
370 upvotes
It's not hard to do but it depends mainly on two factors; first, how chicken you are and second, on the angle of inclination of the roof where shingles are missing.

I fixed my roof last fall due to very strong wind. It was missing 14 shingles in two locations. Go to youtube and watch videos and you'll know everything you need to know. Then you can decide to DIY or to hire someone.
Karma is the law of ethical causation; the effect of an act produced egotistically, when the great law of harmony depends of altruism.

Civilization has developed the physical and the intellectual at the expense of the psychic and spiritual.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11195 posts
10522 upvotes
Oakville
NissanD84730 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 9:33 am
Hey,I have two storey house,found shingles missing 3 to 5 in total on east and west side.I live in Bradford. I do not think it is hard to repair it,but it is hard for me to climb up to the roof.Any recommendation in that area someone can fix it?
I fixed mine myself on my 2 story house. My roof isn't very steep though.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4147 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
I did the same on my roof but the slope was reasonable, at least on two of the four sides. The other two sides are basically 45 degrees and there’s no way I’m stepping foot on that!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7568 posts
1972 upvotes
Not for me...I hired someone to do the fix when we lost a few during the windstorm
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
[OP]
May 5, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 10:40 am
It's not hard to do but it depends mainly on two factors; first, how chicken you are and second, on the angle of inclination of the roof where shingles are missing.

I fixed my roof last fall due to very strong wind. It was missing 14 shingles in two locations. Go to youtube and watch videos and you'll know everything you need to know. Then you can decide to DIY or to hire someone.
which ladder you use? from home depot? just stuck ladder in the lawn?
[OP]
May 5, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 5:09 pm
I did the same on my roof but the slope was reasonable, at least on two of the four sides. The other two sides are basically 45 degrees and there’s no way I’m stepping foot on that!
Mine is 45 degree ,that is why I am hesitating,I do not want to take a change
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2006 posts
345 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Id say local newspaper should give you better contractors than kijiji.
If they pay to advertise, they should know what they are doing.
Kijiji is free, anyone with a hammer can say they are a roofer on kijiji :)
Feb 11, 2018
279 posts
370 upvotes
NissanD84730 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 5:58 pm
which ladder you use? from home depot? just stuck ladder in the lawn?
Using a ladder is a very good idea if it is possible. It was not feasible for me. I climbed on the roof from a window on the second floor. The inclination was 45 degree. Best to do this on an overcast day (if possible) so the shingles aren't as hot and soft. In fact it is best not to walk on the roof when it is a hot and SUNNY day.

In the end it is a game of chicken. There are people who do this as a living and they are not smarter than me, they simply do not have the fear many people have. If someone is physically healthy then it is just a matter of overcoming one's fear. If one can't overcome his fear then it's best to hire someone. Always know your limits before proceeding.
Karma is the law of ethical causation; the effect of an act produced egotistically, when the great law of harmony depends of altruism.

Civilization has developed the physical and the intellectual at the expense of the psychic and spiritual.
Oct 22, 2016
205 posts
123 upvotes
Langley
As a roofer, I suggest you hire someone. At that angle it is steep enough to slip, and screw yourself up. It is not worth it, to get injured.

I would do it this way, take a couple photos of your missing shingles. Email it to some roofing contractors, tell them what part of town you live, and ask for a quick quote.

This way the contractor does not have to go out, and look at shingles and then quote. He can put a couple shingles in his truck and repair in one trip.

I also suggest you ask him to take a look at the rest of the roof, and see if there are any concerns. The roofer should take photos of any concerns to show you. That way you know it is a valid concern.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2597 posts
1428 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
NissanD84730 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 5:59 pm
Mine is 45 degree ,that is why I am hesitating,I do not want to take a change
I've been on many roofs, but even I would not attempt to walk on a 12/12 pitch. That's just me.
If you have never been on a roof, don't attempt the repair yourself. A fall, even from a single story, can be life altering (or ending).
Mar 22, 2017
507 posts
392 upvotes
I fixed a broken edge shingle yesterday afternoon actually, and it sucked (because it was an edge shingle there were three layers of shingles on it, all with three layers of patching cement on it, and it tore at the point between two three-tab shingles). I ended up just slicing a shingle off the three-tab set, applying a generous dose of patching cement, then gluing it in place of the missing shingle.

I watched all the youtube videos of people replacing their missing mid-roof shingles and those looked drastically easier than fixing an edge shingle... but I bet if I went up and tried replacing a half dozen tabs I'd be hating myself before the day was done. I'd also NEVER replace a shingle on a 45 degree pitch, that's extremely dangerous without proper equipment and experience. I'd hire a roofer to come fix them.
Oct 3, 2011
413 posts
241 upvotes
OTTAWA
just called a contractor friend over to patch my roof, he brought his scaffolding over and we set it up. I thought I'd go up too and take a look around...Got to the top of the scaffolding and my legs wouldn't work to hop up onto the top level. I think I tried 3 times and then said nope and climbed my ass back down. 2 floors up doesn't look very high until you're up there with no walls or floor around you.
Feb 9, 2005
710 posts
64 upvotes
I've done repairs on my roof and it's not fun. From the ground, it doesn't look bad, but once you're up there, moving shingles, finding your tools, it's a whole different story. Add another layer when it's hot and sunny. I've done it twice and hired somewhere ever since. Shingles don't last as long as advertised. Find someone good, especially 10 years after install.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1761 posts
1071 upvotes
If you must hire, be sure they are insured. Suddenly that $500 cash job is a million dollars in compensation.