• May 31st, 2019 9:12 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9285 posts
2268 upvotes

Roof moss removal

Hey all. I was wondering what is a good price for moss removal.

House is 1500sq, 1 storey. Moss is only on 1 side of the 4 sides (north facing side).

Can you guys give me what were your estimates or how much you paid if you got it done, and most importantly, your location? (I assume prices will vary by location)

Also I read articles where they recommend NOT scraping off or washing the roof to make it look like new like most big companies advertise, since that damages the roof. A smaller company (probably 1 man) actually said they will only gently try to get off the big chunk, but the rest, it will only treat the roof and leave it. So it might not look completely clean, depending how it will runoff over time, but the idea is that the moss is dead and it will not regrow due to the treatment.
8 replies
Oct 22, 2016
205 posts
121 upvotes
Langley
I suggest wait for the hot dry weather to come. Get someone to spray it, I use Zinc Sulfate. After a couple weeks, use a blower, or very light broom to get off the moss that comes easily. Less or zero damage to roof.

Cost maybe $400, Vancouver area
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9285 posts
2268 upvotes
User452441 wrote:
May 28th, 2019 4:47 pm
I suggest wait for the hot dry weather to come. Get someone to spray it, I use Zinc Sulfate. After a couple weeks, use a blower, or very light broom to get off the moss that comes easily. Less or zero damage to roof.

Cost maybe $400, Vancouver area
Problem is I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to climbing on the roof :(

So ballpark is $400?
Oct 22, 2016
205 posts
121 upvotes
Langley
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 28th, 2019 8:23 pm
So ballpark is $400?
I think that is a fair price, for roof you described. Two trips, no more than 2 hours per trip, doing this work.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33129 posts
7274 upvotes
Ottawa
My Brother in Surrey BC had moss problem on on side of hs roof too. he got it cleaned then they installed a zinc strip and he has not had a problem since.
Being in the Military is a choice, being a Veteran is an earned honor. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1177 posts
465 upvotes
North York, ON
Former contractor, still own a small interest in co. My experience is exactly the same as the experienced gent in this vid.

Realize also, last I heard, zinc was being impregnated into the ceramic granular area of the shingle. Tried using the zinc strips decades ago but found very quickly major fail. @ cottage neighbor across the street had the zinc strip installed...5 yrs later and moss appearing all over roof. Tree sap starts the moss process and can't be avoided. Shingles with keys are the worst offenders.

User452441 has the right idea "Get someone to spray it, I use Zinc Sulfate. After a couple weeks, use a blower, or very light broom to get off the moss that comes easily. Less or zero damage to roof."

Finally ask yourself this question: "If the zinc strips are all that great why do I rarely see installs of it?"
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33129 posts
7274 upvotes
Ottawa
magoot wrote:
May 29th, 2019 5:34 pm
Former contractor, still own a small interest in co. My experience is exactly the same as the experienced gent in this vid.

Realize also, last I heard, zinc was being impregnated into the ceramic granular area of the shingle. Tried using the zinc strips decades ago but found very quickly major fail. @ cottage neighbor across the street had the zinc strip installed...5 yrs later and moss appearing all over roof. Tree sap starts the moss process and can't be avoided. Shingles with keys are the worst offenders.

User452441 has the right idea "Get someone to spray it, I use Zinc Sulfate. After a couple weeks, use a blower, or very light broom to get off the moss that comes easily. Less or zero damage to roof."

Finally ask yourself this question: "If the zinc strips are all that great why do I rarely see installs of it?"
5 years is a good long time for a strip. It does deteriorate and needs to be replaced. My Brother has to replace the strip every 4 or so years. Nothing lasts forever.
It is used and installed a lot on the West Coast. Moss is a big problem in shady woodsy areas out there. Almost all cedar shaked houses in North Vancouver have strips or other zinc product on their roofs..
Being in the Military is a choice, being a Veteran is an earned honor. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1177 posts
465 upvotes
North York, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 29th, 2019 5:56 pm
5 years is a good long time for a strip. It does deteriorate and needs to be replaced. My Brother has to replace the strip every 4 or so years. Nothing lasts forever.
It is used and installed a lot on the West Coast. Moss is a big problem in shady woodsy areas out there. Almost all cedar shaked houses in North Vancouver have strips or other zinc product on their roofs..
Licensed roofer in the GTA and certified installer in pretty well every roofing material avail. Eight months of the yr had 15 crews working. Also had a metal shop with 2 trade tinsmiths. Completed approx 70 projects per week.
The test I did was 20 asphalt roofs S&I zinc strips free of charge. After 5 yrs moss was visibly forming= major fail. The zinc doesn't wear out, it oxidizes, and long before we can see the moss it's already there!
Almost all cedar shaked houses in North Vancouver have strips or other zinc product on their roofs..
Are you sure they're cedar shakes? On ALL my shake roofs copper was always used given the cost of the roof and the needs/ wants of the Cust. Also a far superior look of quality when completed. Copper also has anti fungal properties much the same as zinc but works much better...cheapskate installers/ customers use zinc cuz it's cheaper. With my shake jobs $$ was not a consideration to the Cust or myself. There are wannabee shake roofs and real shake roofs....it's all in the details.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33129 posts
7274 upvotes
Ottawa
magoot wrote:
May 31st, 2019 8:48 am
Licensed roofer in the GTA and certified installer in pretty well every roofing material avail. Eight months of the yr had 15 crews working. Also had a metal shop with 2 trade tinsmiths. Completed approx 70 projects per week.
The test I did was 20 asphalt roofs S&I zinc strips free of charge. After 5 yrs moss was visibly forming= major fail. The zinc doesn't wear out, it oxidizes, and long before we can see the moss it's already there!

Are you sure they're cedar shakes? On ALL my shake roofs copper was always used given the cost of the roof and the needs/ wants of the Cust. Also a far superior look of quality when completed. Copper also has anti fungal properties much the same as zinc but works much better...cheapskate installers/ customers use zinc cuz it's cheaper. With my shake jobs $$ was not a consideration to the Cust or myself. There are wannabee shake roofs and real shake roofs....it's all in the details.
Cedar shakes are, or were, a very prevalent product out West (in the southern part of BC anyway). I am quite sure the GTA does not have a moss problem like the southern West Coast of BC, especially the greater Vancouver area.

Copper is used for valleys and flashing and it looks real good. Zinc strips (as opposed to valleys to other areas) as told to me by my Brother is used a the top of the roof to lessen the possibility of moss growth, particularity on the north sides of roofs. (it is a strip placed there and as it rains, the rain washes over the strip and goes down the roof depositing whatever it is that prevents moss growth.)

I cannot comment on on the zinc impregnated shingles as I have no idea. I can say that all products wear off , including the zinc strips. The strips need to be replaced every 5 or so years (depending the width and thickness of them). So, I suspect the shingles would lose their effectiveness over time too.
I am not a roofer like you, I am only passing on anecdotal information.