• Aug 29th, 2021 8:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
990 upvotes
GTA

Roof shingles question

Can anyone tell me if there is suppose to be a shingle right under the black exhaust fan? Never paid attention till someone pointed me to it.

It’s a 8 year old roof, I’m assuming this is not something I can repair myself? What’s the normal price for replacing a piece? And is there anything else I should have them check over while their up there?
Images
  • C3EF064C-9720-4D9F-BFA3-B84B7EF06618.jpeg
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8020 posts
9001 upvotes
Montréal
yes shingles are needed there, just like under the vents. Unless it's a shadow, it looks like shingles are missing
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Aug 29th, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 4, 2021
376 posts
197 upvotes
GTA
greg123 wrote: Can anyone tell me if there is suppose to be a shingle right under the black exhaust fan? Never paid attention till someone pointed me to it.

It’s a 8 year old roof, I’m assuming this is not something I can repair myself? What’s the normal price for replacing a piece? And is there anything else I should have them check over while their up there?
that's not a shingle, that's a vent boot? (a pretty wide one if ever LOL)... and if there's a shingle there, why not, so long as installed properly... ☺︎

it does seem something is missing based on the color difference -- I’m old, the pics aren't that clear for me LOL - something you can replace yourself if you can go up there, otherwise expect $200 a pop esp since the rainstorm of yesterday in gta... there's prolly a few with those problems - don't expect them to check anything up there (even if you ask them to -- i am skeptic with these roofers in general anyway -- thankfully you only need them once every 2 decades or so, in general - so stick with the best ones through research once you replace them all)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8020 posts
9001 upvotes
Montréal
greg123 wrote: Can anyone tell me if there is suppose to be a shingle right under the black exhaust fan? Never paid attention till someone pointed me to it.

Don't expect to have a roofer for this simple check up / job. No one would want to go to your place for this, unless they charge outrageous price
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1439 posts
769 upvotes
TORONTO
I'd say around $150-$200 for a guy to go up there and patch that up
Oct 22, 2016
893 posts
802 upvotes
Comox Valley
It is installed correctly. As golferbowl stated it is a vent boot (or plumbing stack flashing). Their is no need of a shingle there, and it is preferable not to have one their, as water can get in by the stack, and go in at the shingle if you nail it in front of the stack. Look at your neighbors and I include a photo of them installed. It is a large flashing, and that is why it might look bad, when it is not.
Images
  • EF26CF3C-5C91-45CD-9C76-765D583040C4.jpeg