• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 5:28 pm
[OP]
Feb 18, 2013
237 posts
43 upvotes
Scarborough

Roofing Company won't send invoice?

I recently had some roof repair done, job was quoted at ~$500, quote was given, work was completed about a month ago. Repairman said he would send invoice/payment instructions via email once work was complete.

I have yet to receive invoice, and have tried calling/texting, leaving voicemails so I can pay this guy, none of my calls/texts have been returned... Not sure what my best course of action is now, I don't want to be hit with this 6 months from now, is there a statute of limitations for this kind of thing? Do,
I have any options? Thanks
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5047 upvotes
Paris
caddie444 wrote: I recently had some roof repair done, job was quoted at ~$500, quote was given, work was completed about a month ago. Repairman said he would send invoice/payment instructions via email once work was complete.

I have yet to receive invoice, and have tried calling/texting, leaving voicemails so I can pay this guy, none of my calls/texts have been returned... Not sure what my best course of action is now, I don't want to be hit with this 6 months from now, is there a statute of limitations for this kind of thing? Do,
I have any options? Thanks
Take $500 out of the bank, put in sock drawer, don’t worry about it. There is literally a commercial about how much of a PITA it is invoicing for small contractors with Danny Devito. The struggle is real. You have done what you can for now.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: Take $500 out of the bank, put in sock drawer, don’t worry about it. There is literally a commercial about how much of a PITA it is invoicing for small contractors with Danny Devito. The struggle is real. You have done what you can for now.
And make him wait as long as you have to pay him once he does send it :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5047 upvotes
Paris
Pete_Coach wrote: And make him wait as long as you have to pay him once he does send it :)
Why? Anyone struggling to send invoices is struggling in their small business in general. No need to make it worse. He could just be waiting to invoice till Jan 1 for tax reasons.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: Why? Anyone struggling to send invoices is struggling in their small business in general. No need to make it worse. He could just be waiting to invoice till Jan 1 for tax reasons.
Oh, didn't realize he was struggling. Glad you have that information :facepalm:
If he was struggling , I would suspect the would make extraordinary effort to get paid.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1426 posts
243 upvotes
Grimsby
Pete_Coach wrote: Oh, didn't realize he was struggling. Glad you have that information :facepalm:
If he was struggling , I would suspect the would make extraordinary effort to get paid.
Perhaps you have not been or are not self employed.

Service type work is often a continual feast or famine cycle. When the feasting is on the work needs doing sudden like to offset the quiet famine times. Bookkeeping gets donw during the famine.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Owbist wrote: Perhaps you have not been or are not self employed.

Service type work is often a continual feast or famine cycle. When the feasting is on the work needs doing sudden like to offset the quiet famine times. Bookkeeping gets donw during the famine.
What does my self employment have to do with my response to Jerico? I stand by my post to him. As I stand behind my post to the OP.
If it is famine then billing would be priority. If it is feast then, at a minimum, responding to calls, texts and voice mails would also be in order.
Your post defending some company or person unknown is bewildering LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5047 upvotes
Paris
Pete_Coach wrote: What does my self employment have to do with my response to Jerico? I stand by my post to him. As I stand behind my post to the OP.
If it is famine then billing would be priority. If it is feast then, at a minimum, responding to calls, texts and voice mails would also be in order.
Your post defending some company or person unknown is bewildering LOL
You clearly don’t understand what I said. I didn’t say he was struggling financially, I said he was struggling. You assumed I meant financially.

Clearly he is struggling to respond to texts and send invoices for any number of reasons. The biggest problem I have seen when moving from Fortune 100 to contracting is making time for book keeping and general office work. If your life blood is doing work and you must always be working, there is no one behind you collecting the money in most 1-5 person organizations. People complain about contractors not coming out to quote or responding etc, most are using that time to work and collect and and and. And most folks are looking for a LOT of quotes now, so that time to gain new business is even more challenging with less potential reward.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: You clearly don’t understand what I said. I didn’t say he was struggling financially, I said he was struggling. You assumed I meant financially.

Clearly he is struggling to respond to texts and send invoices for any number of reasons. The biggest problem I have seen when moving from Fortune 100 to contracting is making time for book keeping and general office work. If your life blood is doing work and you must always be working, there is no one behind you collecting the money in most 1-5 person organizations. People complain about contractors not coming out to quote or responding etc, most are using that time to work and collect and and and. And most folks are looking for a LOT of quotes now, so that time to gain new business is even more challenging with less potential reward.
No, I just alluded that you are making assumptions, period. Just like you are with trying to substantiate with the remainder of your post.
Also you assuming he "waiting to invoice till Jan 1 for tax reasons."? Then he should let the client know by responding to the numerous calls, texts and voicemails.
You and the other person that responded to me and my comments are defending someone you don't know with assumptions. We can all make assumptions. Maybe he is on vacation because cash business was so good? Maybe he is in jail because he got caught not paying any taxes on all his cash business? Maybe he skipped town? There can be a lot more.
I only said that the OP should wait as long to pay as the guy is taking to bill.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1292 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: No, I just alluded that you are making assumptions, period. Just like you are with trying to substantiate with the remainder of your post.
Also you assuming he "waiting to invoice till Jan 1 for tax reasons."? Then he should let the client know by responding to the numerous calls, texts and voicemails.
You and the other person that responded to me and my comments are defending someone you don't know with assumptions. We can all make assumptions. Maybe he is on vacation because cash business was so good? Maybe he is in jail because he got caught not paying any taxes on all his cash business? Maybe he skipped town? There can be a lot more.
I only said that the OP should wait as long to pay as the guy is taking to bill.
The contractor we used for our house and our rentals completed 19k worth of work and never came to get paid. We had used him for years and he always came to get paid sometime within a few weeks to a month of completing the job.

Turned out he died sometime between finishing our job and collecting the money. We knew something was wrong when 3 months later he still had not come to collect and his number was out of service. We were not sure if he went to jail or what happened until 2 years later we found out buy a fluke that he had passed away.

Not returning calls is just stupid. If I had a contractor and he never returned my calls I would never hire him again. Takes 30 seconds to send a text
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3167 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
I had $800 in eaves/downspouts done 10+ years ago - company did the work, left, never invoiced or received payment. It happens.

I don't think there's any time limit tho - I had a collections agency in another province chasing me for 5 years over a 20+ year old $43 speeding ticket they claimed I got and never paid while I was travelling there.

I had no recollection of it, they couldn't provide proof of the offence, and I just let them keep calling my number. Blocked them a few different times. They finally gave up, and I figure they spent a few hundred dollars in long distance and time of their agents trying to collect the $43. I wasted way more time than I should have in refusing to pay the $43 but it was a matter of principal.

I probably did get the speeding ticket - just had no memory and can't figure why I wouldn't have paid it.

Bottom line - I don't think there's a limit but if the aluminum company decided to come after me now, I'd tell them to take me to court.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1292 upvotes
torontotim wrote:

Bottom line - I don't think there's a limit but if the aluminum company decided to come after me now, I'd tell them to take me to court.
Why?

If you know you had the work done and you never paid it, what difference does it make? Why do you feel entitled to not pay for a service you received regardless of the time limit. 10 years is ridiculous and it's obviously never going to happen but what justification would you have to not pay the bill, other than I got away with it fpr 10 years so screw em?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5047 upvotes
Paris
Pete_Coach wrote: No, I just alluded that you are making assumptions, period. Just like you are with trying to substantiate with the remainder of your post.
I said “he could be waiting till Jan 1”. Get your facts straight and don’t suggest being a dick waiting once the guy invoices. There is a reason he hasn’t returned calls and I doubt it’s because he is in the Bahamas.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
I`m always shocked when somebody posts a question and then these silly arguments happen over quotes, advice, suggestions and all the bs. If you cant help OP be wise and keep your bs to yourself
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: I said “he could be waiting till Jan 1”. Get your facts straight and don’t suggest being a dick waiting once the guy invoices. There is a reason he hasn’t returned calls and I doubt it’s because he is in the Bahamas.
:facepalm:
An assumption is an assumption. Don't be such a dick making unsubstantiated excuses. LOL
Feb 25, 2004
932 posts
414 upvotes
Longueuil
HghSsociety wrote: Why?

If you know you had the work done and you never paid it, what difference does it make? Why do you feel entitled to not pay for a service you received regardless of the time limit. 10 years is ridiculous and it's obviously never going to happen but what justification would you have to not pay the bill, other than I got away with it fpr 10 years so screw em?
It depends on where you live. In Québec, after 3 years you lose your rights to collect the money (Code civil du Québec 2925. An action to enforce a personal right or movable real right is prescribed by three years, if the prescriptive period is not otherwise determined.).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5047 upvotes
Paris
Pete_Coach wrote: An assumption is an assumption. Don't be such a dick making unsubstantiated excuses. LOL

And make him wait as long as you have to pay him once he does send it
No assumptions needed that I hope no contractor ever works for you again when you advocate not paying them on time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Jerico wrote: No assumptions needed that I hope no contractor ever works for you again when you advocate not paying them on time.
I agree, that is just childish
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: No assumptions needed that I hope no contractor ever works for you again when you advocate not paying them on time.
I have had many contractors work for me on my house. I hired contractors hundreds of times when I was a contract manager. I know exactly how to deal with contractors.
Just saying you made unsubstantiated assumptions and excuses for a business you know nothing about.. Never said anything about the contractor.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
3834 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
Don't worry, he needs to win discussions at all cost. I know what you mean, my electrician did some work for me this summer and still waiting for his invoice. Money was put aside until he sends it to me.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

Alvin Toffler