• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2019 6:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 3, 2019
3 posts

Roofing In Fall?

Hey Everyone,

Looking for help as I'm getting quotes on re doing my roof(remove existing and install new shingles). Some guys are telling me that I have to do it before end of September others telling me October is fine. Guess the issue being that the new shingles need warm temperatures for a few days to stick. My concern is doing the work and having the first windstorm blow a bunch off. Any opinions or help would be appreciated.

Cheers
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6744 posts
3031 upvotes
Paris
Denstir wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 12:23 pm
Hey Everyone,

Looking for help as I'm getting quotes on re doing my roof(remove existing and install new shingles). Some guys are telling me that I have to do it before end of September others telling me October is fine. Guess the issue being that the new shingles need warm temperatures for a few days to stick. My concern is doing the work and having the first windstorm blow a bunch off. Any opinions or help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Our across the street neighbours had it done after Thanksgiving and Halloween night was windy and cold. Shingles everywhere. Company came back and torched it to make it stick.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1038 posts
389 upvotes
York Region
My roofing contractor said that their Certainteed Landmark shingles can be installed year round since they stick instantly. I never did any research on this. I did mine in the spring so I can't personally attest to that.

My neighbours reshingled last November on a really cold day and they haven't had any issues.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15932 posts
6118 upvotes
There are different methods of installation for different conditions. You should talk to the roofers giving you quotes and look on the manufacturers installation instructions to see what they recommend.

While I personally would hold off until spring, keep in mind that MANY new homes are built in the winter and MANY roofs are installed during the winter months with no issues that relate to the temperature during installation.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6744 posts
3031 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 4:16 pm

While I personally would hold off until spring, keep in mind that MANY new homes are built in the winter and MANY roofs are installed during the winter months with no issues that relate to the temperature during installation.
they are so poorly installed to begin with that temperature on install date isn’t half your issue.
Nov 16, 2011
987 posts
651 upvotes
HAMILTON
I had a new roof installed a number of years ago in late fall as an insurance claim. Roofer might just as well not done it as was back so many times for shingles up, shingles off.

End result that the roof didn't last and ended up an early replacement ( non insurance ).

Would never have a roof installed in the fall. Shingles need some nice warm sun to seal properly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6744 posts
3031 upvotes
Paris
luckystrike1 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 5:52 pm
I had a new roof installed a number of years ago in late fall as an insurance claim. Roofer might just as well not done it as was back so many times for shingles up, shingles off.

End result that the roof didn't last and ended up an early replacement ( non insurance ).

Would never have a roof installed in the fall. Shingles need some nice warm sun to seal properly.
Mine was done Thanksgiving weekend but then we had a blast of 2-3 days of great sun and it’s black. My neighbour mentioned earlier was 1-2 weeks behind us and my buddy said he saw basically the whole roof lift off in one piece... so that says it held together just didn’t hold to the house somehow.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15932 posts
6118 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 5:52 pm

The manufacturers typically recommend hand sealing in cool temperatures, it's part of their instructions. If your shingles were hand sealed they would be fine to sit until the spring when the adhesive is activated by the sun.

Shingles just need proper installation to seal properly and the manufacturers cover this in their installation instructions. While unfortunate, we as home owners need to be familiar enough to ask the right questions when ensuring the job is done properly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7017 posts
6260 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Personally if I couldn’t get it done in Sept I’d try to hold off until next year. Might even be worth it to pay a bit more if one of the installers can do it in Sept,

You may get lucky with a blast of heat/Sun in Oct but it is hit or miss.

I roofed my shed in early Dec one time and quickly learned a lesson as half of the shingles blew off over the next two years.
May 21, 2015
726 posts
340 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I had mine done in mid November last year by a reputable company who I've used before. It was cold out and even had to skip a day,, but all went well. I've had not one shingle come off.
Oct 22, 2016
222 posts
137 upvotes
Comox Valley
I think you will be okay in October. I have roofed in Vancouver for 20 years, and a couple years in GTA, and usually would roof all year round. But you do come into more concerns November on wards. Once had a wind storm come up in Oakville in November, blowing my shingles that were stacked on the roof for the job, into the lot next door. Another time, using high profile ridge cap, in Surrey, wind storm in November made them fold up. Lastly did one job in January. Due to the coldness at that time of year, shingles would not lay flat until the spring time, and the warmth of the sun. So I had to delay final payment until them.

But saying that, have done hundreds of jobs at that time of year, with no problems. Could be just luck of the draw.