• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2019 1:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote

Roofing Quotes

Really tired of being bs-ed by contractors regarding my roof repair. I've had about 4 come out now, the 4th being the only reputable one that has pin pointed the real problem, issue being the price seems quite high considering my house is a
tiny detached 700 sq ft home. Requires full roof replacement with synthetic shingles, drip edge, ice and water, and regular debris removal etc. Quoted $4800 plus tax bringing it to $5400. I also require replacement eavestroughs which is not included in this quote.

Am I right in thinking this is way too high? It's the same amount I paid for a house double the size a few years ago. Thanks in advance.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1119 upvotes
Labour costs and material have risen. Also see it from the companies point of view, if they show up and do a 700 sq ft house in a day, or do a 1500 sq ft house in a day, the only big difference is the guys get to leave a little earlier on the smaller house and use a bit less shingles. But the bulk of your costs will be the same.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6760 posts
3040 upvotes
Paris
sachang35 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 6:28 pm
Really tired of being bs-ed by contractors regarding my roof repair. I've had about 4 come out now, the 4th being the only reputable one that has pin pointed the real problem, issue being the price seems quite high considering my house is a
tiny detached 700 sq ft home. Requires full roof replacement with synthetic shingles, drip edge, ice and water, and regular debris removal etc. Quoted $4800 plus tax bringing it to $5400. I also require replacement eavestroughs which is not included in this quote.

Am I right in thinking this is way too high? It's the same amount I paid for a house double the size a few years ago. Thanks in advance.
Sounds about right to me as you will pay extra for a smaller roof. Everything renovation related has sky rocketed in the last 4-5 years.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Thanks so much for your input. I've just had people tell me it's on the high side so wanted to do a little more research. I'm trying to get quotes from at least 3 companies before I make my final decision.

It's been a rough ride as I've had roofers come out and tell me what I needed fixing when it turns out that wasn't the case (had a whole new chimney made) and have also had some hastily done minor repairs. So trying to be as diligent as possible this time while fixing the problem in its entirety.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6760 posts
3040 upvotes
Paris
sachang35 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 12:50 am
Thanks so much for your input. I've just had people tell me it's on the high side so wanted to do a little more research. I'm trying to get quotes from at least 3 companies before I make my final decision.

It's been a rough ride as I've had roofers come out and tell me what I needed fixing when it turns out that wasn't the case (had a whole new chimney made) and have also had some hastily done minor repairs. So trying to be as diligent as possible this time while fixing the problem in its entirety.
I did a house that was 1250 square feet (so whatever the roof is) and an attached 2 car garage about 4 years ago. The garage roof was a hip roof (3 rooves) so that increased the complexity and thus the cost. Higher rooves, more messing around increase the cost. Mine was $5500 back then. $1500 was labour I think so ask the labour vs materials component.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/