Home & Garden

Roofing - Venting (Max Ventilator) and Shingles (CRC) Reviews/Feedback?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 5:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
994 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto

Roofing - Venting (Max Ventilator) and Shingles (CRC) Reviews/Feedback?

I live in the GTA in a row townhouse of 8 units, and recently we all decided that we need to do our roofing.

We called up a few contractors, and we are generally settled on one as he seems to know what hes talking about.

Im a first time home owner, and this is my first time hiring a roofing contractor and had a few questions about the materials hes suggesting on using

He had quoted to do a "Maximum roof Ventilator" would be +$300 on top of the quote.

I see at Home depot its sold for about $130, so I guess his pricing is fair enough albeit I feel on the higher end.

He did mention though that given the size of my roof (he said its roughly 1200 square feet) and the current number of vents I have (about 3 in the front section, but the roof over all has 7) he would actually remove/seal off two vents and install just the one single max roof vent. So in total I would have 4 roof vents left + 1 max vent.

So I had a few questions I hope someone can provide some experience/insight

-Is the pricing "fair" as quoted?
-Does it make sense to remove 2 vents and install the one max vent? Or should I be keeping all the vents, and just replacing the one with the max vent? I would think "more" venting is better?
-Lastly, I was wondering if anyone really noticed a "difference" by installing one of these max vents?

I have been in my attic a few times in winter and summer, I thankfully havent noticed any leaks or mold. I havent noticed any weird condensation or anything, the wood still looks good from the inside. Im just curious if anyone noticed a difference in terms of "home comfort".

Another question I have is the roofer is recommending we use [CRC Baltimore Architectural shingles] (https://www.canroof.com/products/reside ... ltmore-ar/)?

Personally I have never heard of this brand of shingles, and it doesnt seem to be sold at any big box stores. I know Home Depot sells GAF, Lowes sells Iko and Rona has BP - So just curious has anyone dealt or have experience with this brand of shingles?

The roofer said that these shingles are Canadian made, and he prefers products made in Canada for Canada weather

Any insight or feedback much appreciated
14 replies
Feb 3, 2012
144 posts
43 upvotes
T.O.
The price sounds fair to me considering the roofer needs to patch up the holes from the old vents. I'm of the mindset that the less protrusions on the roof the less of a chance of them leaking as the max vent can help eliminate multiple turtle vents.

The 301 vent you shown has a ventilation area of up to 1200 sqft. If you have two distinct sections then you can install two 303 and remove all of the 7 turtle vents. I read somewhere that it's not recommended to mix different types of vents, the max vent can end up causing the closest turtle vent to draw in air. I had one installed on my new roof, but can't give you an opinion yet since we haven't had much of a summer yet and no experience with it in the winter. I suspect that it will work better in the winter since it is less likely to be blocked by snow.

I never heard of CRC shingles before, but in your attached link under specifications it includes the following footnote, so it can just be manufactured by IKO or repackaging of one of their product lines.

6 Packaged in IKO wrappers. Note: Product and colour availability may vary by region.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24474 posts
9392 upvotes
Toronto
agree on NOT to mix vents with Maximum vent. But you will get different opinions on this subject matter. I just had my roof redone earlier this month. My roofer removed 8 turtle/box vents and replaced with 3 Maximum vents.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11742 posts
11347 upvotes
Oakville
You also need to make sure you have adequate soffit venting to feed the vents. Ideally the soffits are fully vented.
Jul 30, 2016
15 posts
6 upvotes
Does anybody have any experience with having ridge vents? my roof line is apparently a good candidate for it due to its continuous nature...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8914 posts
5218 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
First of all, some of those vents (the additional 4 you speak of) may actually be for your bathroom(s) exhaust fans. The ones for the attic will be at the peak of the roof. So yes, he may only need one max vent for the 3 caps, as others have stated the max vent is good up to 1200sqft. of attic. The next you have to take into consideration is the shape of your roof. If you only have one peak (like a pyramid) then one vent may be enough, but if you have several peaks (say from architectural/Cathedral ceiling) then one would not be sufficient as you'd have more than one void to which hot air is rising and getting trapped, so you wouldn't want to close off those vents.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
May 12, 2014
787 posts
410 upvotes
Markham, ON
What are the other 4 vents for?
If they're for bathroom exhausts, make sure your fan exhausts to the outside. I suggest upgrading to one of these as they're less likely to be blocked by snow.
https://www.rona.ca/en/black-6-galvaniz ... ap-6467033

+1 on not mixing vents and make sure you have enough intake to balance. Else you'll be sucking conditioned air out of your house.
Oct 22, 2016
221 posts
136 upvotes
Comox Valley
sputnik99112 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 2:42 am

I never heard of CRC shingles before, but in your attached link under specifications it includes the following footnote, so it can just be manufactured by IKO or repackaging of one of their product lines.

6 Packaged in IKO wrappers. Note: Product and colour availability may vary by region.
My understanding of CRC shingles are manufactured by IKO, and is no different from there product. They have been around at least 15 years.

I suggest GAF or certainteed instead. Do a search of forums with the word IKO, and some valid concerns.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
994 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
sputnik99112 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 2:42 am
The price sounds fair to me considering the roofer needs to patch up the holes from the old vents. I'm of the mindset that the less protrusions on the roof the less of a chance of them leaking as the max vent can help eliminate multiple turtle vents.

The 301 vent you shown has a ventilation area of up to 1200 sqft. If you have two distinct sections then you can install two 303 and remove all of the 7 turtle vents. I read somewhere that it's not recommended to mix different types of vents, the max vent can end up causing the closest turtle vent to draw in air. I had one installed on my new roof, but can't give you an opinion yet since we haven't had much of a summer yet and no experience with it in the winter. I suspect that it will work better in the winter since it is less likely to be blocked by snow.

roof.jpg

Thats what I was thinking as well, the less protusions/penetrations then the sources of a leak would be minimized - In theory :)

I attached a google map photo to show my townhomes foot print

There are 3 vents running horizontally in the photo, and another 3 running vertically - I believe the other protusions are for washroom vents possibly?

But the roofer basically said he would for example, replace the 3 vents (highlighted in green) by sealing off 2 and putting the one max vent in lieu of.

When I go in my attic though, the 3 vertical/3 horizontal vents I can basically see all of them from my attic opening, not sure if this means its one section and not two disctinct sections?

I was thinking of the same thing, instead of the one max vent why not put two of the smaller 303 vents and replace all 7 - But then Im guessing that would cost more then doing the one single max vent (cost of 2 vents + labour vs 1 max vent + labour). And cost aside, I am curious if I would notice any difference in terms of "comfort".

For example I recently did my insulation - Though I dont think doing the insulation would help with resale value as much as new shiny stainless steel kitchen appliances - My wife and I have noticed that the temperature in our house is a lot more consistent between floors. Insulation wasnt sexy, but it helped with comfort.

I understand generally the pros are

-Less protusions - Less chances of leaks
-"Better" air flow (gets rid of heat in summer, moisture in winter)

So I dont mind getting a max vent, but not sure how if it would impact our home comfort at all?

I keep telling my wife I dont think our current home is our "forever home", as we would like to some day move into a fully detached. So I am just a tad hesitant on certain home upgrades
booblehead wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 7:37 am
agree on NOT to mix vents with Maximum vent. But you will get different opinions on this subject matter. I just had my roof redone earlier this month. My roofer removed 8 turtle/box vents and replaced with 3 Maximum vents.
It may be too early to ask, but do you notice any "difference" in terms of comfort?
Last edited by chillychin on Jun 26th, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
994 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 10:28 am
You also need to make sure you have adequate soffit venting to feed the vents. Ideally the soffits are fully vented.
I actually just did blown in insulation (cellulose) last summer. The company that did it for me mentioned that my attic looked fine, and the soffits were ok - Although they did not install any of those "attic rafter vents" (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/owens- ... 1000503435) to help with air flow
Bobberts wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:34 pm
What are the other 4 vents for?
If they're for bathroom exhausts, make sure your fan exhausts to the outside. I suggest upgrading to one of these as they're less likely to be blocked by snow.
https://www.rona.ca/en/black-6-galvaniz ... ap-6467033

+1 on not mixing vents and make sure you have enough intake to balance. Else you'll be sucking conditioned air out of your house.
Thats a really good point I didnt think of! If my air intake (via soffits) isnt sufficient then the max vent would then suck air up out of my house, did not think of that.

Stupid question, but is there an "easy" way for me to confirm my attic soffits are fully venting?

As the last time I was in my attic walking around, I made a mess of the insulation walking around. Now that I have even more insulation, Im a bit leery of having to go up there and making an even bigger mess.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24474 posts
9392 upvotes
Toronto
In my case, I have not noticed much difference as our temp. in Toronto has not been at 25+ degree Cel. consistently. I did go up to the new roof last week for eaves cleaning and also curious about the the max vent is doing its job (per se), I can feel warm/hot air was coming out from those max vents, so I guess it is doing its job much more efficiently than those turtle/box vents.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11742 posts
11347 upvotes
Oakville
chillychin wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:57 pm
I actually just did blown in insulation (cellulose) last summer. The company that did it for me mentioned that my attic looked fine, and the soffits were ok - Although they did not install any of those "attic rafter vents" (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/owens- ... 1000503435) to help with air flow

Thats a really good point I didnt think of! If my air intake (via soffits) isnt sufficient then the max vent would then suck air up out of my house, did not think of that.

Stupid question, but is there an "easy" way for me to confirm my attic soffits are fully venting?

As the last time I was in my attic walking around, I made a mess of the insulation walking around. Now that I have even more insulation, Im a bit leery of having to go up there and making an even bigger mess.
You can check your soffit venting from outside. If it's newer, you probably have perforated aluminum soffits. You can post a photo here.
Unfortunately it would have been better if your insulation installer had put in baffles. Hopefully they left room so that they are not blocked.
I had my insulation fine last summer and had them out baffles all around even though I don't currently have fully vented soffits. That's a future job.
The insulation did make a big difference to interior temps upstairs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8914 posts
5218 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
That picture looks like it shows 7 attic vents, and considering it's a mirror image to the neighbour unit, it's a full fire-wall.

Yeah, you'll need more than one max vent.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Feb 3, 2012
144 posts
43 upvotes
T.O.
Tuberider wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 10:45 am
Does anybody have any experience with having ridge vents? my roof line is apparently a good candidate for it due to its continuous nature...
I walked around my neighbourhood quite a few times looking at roofs to get some ideas prior to my new install and I don't remember seeing one ridge vent. Not sure if it's worth the extra cost to put in a ridge vent. I understand it's likely to be more efficient, but I would be concerned about rain being blown in and it being blocked by snow if the roof is low pitched.
Feb 3, 2012
144 posts
43 upvotes
T.O.
chillychin wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:45 pm
I keep telling my wife I dont think our current home is our "forever home", as we would like to some day move into a fully detached. So I am just a tad hesitant on certain home upgrades

It may be too early to ask, but do you notice any "difference" in terms of comfort?
I doubt you will get your money back on resale, but hopefully the max vent helps to keep the house cooler (lower hydro bill for AC) and extends the life of the shingles. Unfortunately, I just got the new roof replacement in May so it's too early for me to comment on either front.