None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor

Roomba Suggestions

I have ~800sq.ft of hardwood I would like to have a Roomba maintain, and have 2x normal-hair-length cats. I don't leave random crap around, and my furniture is minimalistic.

The rooms I'd like to clean are 16x14, 10x14,10x8, 20x14, and a 14x3 hallway connecting them all.

Ideally, it'd magically clean one room / day or something, but I am cool with setting it free in a random room manually. I am home all day.

Would it be reasonable to have a Roomba accomplish this task? If so, what features do I need?
11 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10418 posts
3237 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
That seems reasonable to me.

I have a Roomba on each of two floors. Each floor is about 1150 sq ft. Each floor has about four rooms.

I can't recall the model numbers, but each Roomba is at the level than includes an invisible wall and the "home seeking" so the Roomba finds its charging device. I wouldn't buy a Roomba that was lacking one of these features.

I have a medium hair cat. If I were buying a Roomba now I might buy a pet-level Roomba. I have to do a bit of disassembly of my Roombas about one apever 12-18 months to clean out cat hair.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
MexiCanuck wrote: That seems reasonable to me.

I have a Roomba on each of two floors. Each floor is about 1150 sq ft. Each floor has about four rooms.

I can't recall the model numbers, but each Roomba is at the level than includes an invisible wall and the "home seeking" so the Roomba finds its charging device. I wouldn't buy a Roomba that was lacking one of these features.

I have a medium hair cat. If I were buying a Roomba now I might buy a pet-level Roomba. I have to do a bit of disassembly of my Roombas about one every 12-18 months to clean out cat hair.
Thank you! I am now not so hugely concerned about cat hair, especially if you're cleaning yours every 12-18 months. I'd be cool with cleaning it monthly, so that's nice to hear. However, my GF's hair is like 3' long; I am more concerned with how much of HER hair would get into the machine ... I guess I'll see.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1625 posts
302 upvotes
We used to have a roomba, novelty wore off fast, battery died slowly and Roomba would quit, we had 2 long hair cats plus a dog in the house, I thought it was too much work to maintain the thing, you have to clean the dust bin after each use, We sold it on kijiji, and vacuuming goes quicker with the normal vacuum cleaner.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10418 posts
3237 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
ChubChub wrote: Thank you! I am now not so hugely concerned about cat hair, especially if you're cleaning yours every 12-18 months. I'd be cool with cleaning it monthly, so that's nice to hear. However, my GF's hair is like 3' long; I am more concerned with how much of HER hair would get into the machine ... I guess I'll see.
I guess the important factor then will be how often you and your girlfriend roll around on the floor. :)
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4515 posts
1949 upvotes
AB
Roomba models with the all rubber rollers are MUCH easier to maintain and clean than the older bristle brushes. With the bristles, longer hairs were always trapped in the brush, so I returned that model and bought the 870.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
MexiCanuck wrote: I guess the important factor then will be how often you and your girlfriend roll around on the floor. :)
The answer to that would be "never". However, if you asked "how often does your GF walk around the house while brushing her hair", I'd say "all the damned time".
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4142 posts
971 upvotes
what about neato? We have a Neato D80 that we use on the main floor (same size as you) that picks up all of our dogs hair pretty well.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12232 posts
8641 upvotes
Edmonton
Has anyone noticed that their Roomba's damages their baseboards? A co-worker of mine commented on this, and it made me go hmmm with regards to purchasing one. But we have two small non-shedding dogs, and all hardwood floors, so I can see how one of these could be useful... It's about 900 sq ft on the floor that the dogs would be on.

C
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4515 posts
1949 upvotes
AB
CNeufeld wrote: Has anyone noticed that their Roomba's damages their baseboards? A co-worker of mine commented on this, and it made me go hmmm with regards to purchasing one. But we have two small non-shedding dogs, and all hardwood floors, so I can see how one of these could be useful... It's about 900 sq ft on the floor that the dogs would be on.
C
I'll check it later and post.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4473 posts
851 upvotes
Newbury, ON
CNeufeld wrote: Has anyone noticed that their Roomba's damages their baseboards? A co-worker of mine commented on this, and it made me go hmmm with regards to purchasing one. But we have two small non-shedding dogs, and all hardwood floors, so I can see how one of these could be useful... It's about 900 sq ft on the floor that the dogs would be on.

C
As it vacuums, it bumps into everything. It has sensors to detect objects and will slow down before impact. Even impact is gentle, it has a bumper pad to detect/absorb what it hits. If you have wood and feel its damaging it - then the cheap way to reduce that is buy a strip of velcro and tape it on the front.
The prickley brush is great for grabbing hair, not so much for pulling hair out of it. The 870 doesn't have the prickley brush, but is $$$ over the rest of the line.