• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2023 12:38 am
[OP]
Jan 21, 2007
517 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto

Roots Return Policy with GiftCard - WARNING

I purchased $100 worth of items online at Roots. $50 with giftcard and $50 with credit. I returned 1 item ($50) in store and they put it back on a gift card. I was shocked so I asked the store rep why it went back to a gift card instead of my credit card, and she told me I had to contact online support. I did, and they redirected me to this:

Roots T&C:
Note: Purchases made with a Roots Gift Card or eGift Card will be processed on a new gift card. If you purchased using a Gift Card and Credit Card, the refund will be applied back to a new electronic gift card first, up to the amount that was originally paid by Gift Card. The remaining balance of the return will be issued back to the credit card.

I escalated (3-5 business days) but I contacted Ontario eLaws in the meantime to see if this is legal under the CPA. Has anyone ever seen this policy anywhere else? I've never come across this.

Anyway, Roots is done to me now.
10 replies
Sep 5, 2007
208 posts
114 upvotes
BC
I have a feeling that this might be a standard policy with different retailers. (I am not advocating for them, and this is bad for the customers).
If they don't have this policy, anyone who uses a gift card can buy and return to convert the GC back to credit card credit.

Let us know about your research to see if that's legal under Ontario law.
Nov 5, 2018
621 posts
719 upvotes
The company is not obligated to allow returns at all, except for a very limited set of circumstances. In this case, their policy is very clearly laid out, clearer than I might actually expect it to be. I'm not sure what you think is illegal here, refunds to original form of payment are the norm everywhere.

Regardless, if you want the CC refund, just return the other half of the purchase and repurchase it using the gift card. If you can't return it because you already took the tags off, maybe you can buy another one with the gift card and then return it on the original receipt?
[OP]
Jan 21, 2007
517 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Catenary wrote: The company is not obligated to allow returns at all, except for a very limited set of circumstances. In this case, their policy is very clearly laid out, clearer than I might actually expect it to be. I'm not sure what you think is illegal here, refunds to original form of payment are the norm everywhere.

Regardless, if you want the CC refund, just return the other half of the purchase and repurchase it using the gift card. If you can't return it because you already took the tags off, maybe you can buy another one with the gift card and then return it on the original receipt?
This is a hassle. I've never had a retailer not return the credit/debit card portion prior to the gift card portion.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6814 posts
6963 upvotes
lovethesales wrote: This is a hassle. I've never had a retailer not return the credit/debit card portion prior to the gift card portion.
Not sure if they changed it but Best Buy had the same policy
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23561 posts
22516 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Catenary wrote: The company is not obligated to allow returns at all, except for a very limited set of circumstances. In this case, their policy is very clearly laid out, clearer than I might actually expect it to be. I'm not sure what you think is illegal here, refunds to original form of payment are the norm everywhere.

All of this

Nothing dodgy going on here

Most places clearly state in their Return Policies … that funds go back to the Original Form of Payment

Which is EXACTLY what Roots said … and did
Oct 18, 2017
723 posts
1433 upvotes
New Brunswick
lovethesales wrote: I escalated (3-5 business days)
What is there to escalate? Their TOS was followed exactly how it was laid out. Good on Roots for having it laid out so clearly vs having a grey area.

While it’s not ideal how it is laid out, just because you don’t like it doesn’t make them wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6605 posts
8396 upvotes
GTA
TheCaffeinatedSloth wrote: What is there to escalate? Their TOS was followed exactly how it was laid out. Good on Roots for having it laid out so clearly vs having a grey area.

While it’s not ideal how it is laid out, just because you don’t like it doesn’t make them wrong.
Yup, not liking their return policy doesn't make it illegal.
Dec 18, 2017
472 posts
399 upvotes
Alberta
You paid $50 by GC and returned $50 worth of the order. Of course it's going to be refunded on a GC. Standard practice for many retailers.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
2274 posts
2675 upvotes
Vancouver
I think people have offered a reasonable solution that skirts around the terms by returning everything and re-buying, or vice versa. If you want to instead waste your time "escalating" and waiting around on hold and on phone calls, go ahead.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
6257 posts
8670 upvotes
I think that's logical thinking refunding to gift card first. However, in the future, for whatever reason if you need to do a chargeback, then it will become more complicated.