• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2019 6:16 pm
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
69 posts
14 upvotes

Rough cost of repairing a retaining wall

Hello,
Anyone had to repair a retaining wall? Is it expensive. I was hoping to get a ballpark estimate on how much it would cost to repair.
3 metres long, maybe 50cm high, concrete blocks. Would it be cheaper if I skipped the blocks and just went with poured concrete?
This would be for GTA region.
Thank you
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1095 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Talk to a structural engineer before you start DIY-ing a structural wall.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
daydreamer7 wrote: Hello,
Anyone had to repair a retaining wall? Is it expensive. I was hoping to get a ballpark estimate on how much it would cost to repair.
3 metres long, maybe 50cm high, concrete blocks. Would it be cheaper if I skipped the blocks and just went with poured concrete?
Thank you
Many many years ago I replaced my parents block wall that was crumbling. It wasn't hard but time consuming. The trick is to dig back, install cement blocks, stakes through the blocks and them cement.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4705 posts
3812 upvotes
daydreamer7 wrote: Hello,
Thank you
Landscaper probably 3k on cheaper end to skys the limit depending on materials and who you choose

As it's only 50cm, it's not a structure as per building code, so it's basically just considered a landscape feature
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9674 posts
5060 upvotes
Paris
StatsGuy wrote: Landscaper probably 3k on cheaper end to skys the limit depending on materials and who you choose

As it's only 50cm, it's not a structure as per building code, so it's basically just considered a landscape feature
Backbreaking work. $50 material, $2950 in labour.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
69 posts
14 upvotes
Faemow wrote: Talk to a structural engineer before you start DIY-ing a structural wall.
I thought about a DIY but not 100% confident in my abilities and I'm guessing there is more to it than layering bricks, as you pointed out with your structural engineer comment. Is the service of an engineer not included when I call a landscaper for a quote?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3518 posts
2179 upvotes
daydreamer7 wrote: I thought about a DIY but not 100% confident in my abilities and I'm guessing there is more to it than layering bricks, as you pointed out with your structural engineer comment. Is the service of an engineer not included when I call a landscaper for a quote?
It not like you are driving a TBM underground and shotcreting as you progress every foot. Its just a wall dude.
Feb 15, 2007
30 posts
15 upvotes
Kitchener
daydreamer7 wrote: I thought about a DIY but not 100% confident in my abilities and I'm guessing there is more to it than layering bricks, as you pointed out with your structural engineer comment. Is the service of an engineer not included when I call a landscaper for a quote?

You shouldn't need an engineer at that size. Where I live it's only over 4 feet that requires a structural engineer. I went through this as my wall was about 8 feet high.

If you want it to last though hire someone with lots of experience with retaining walls. Not a job I'd want to diy unless it was purely decorative.
Feb 15, 2007
30 posts
15 upvotes
Kitchener
I looked up what I paid. Average 7.5 feet high and about 40 feet in length. Just under $25,000 before taxes just for the wall and stairs. This does not include the demolition and removal of the old wall nor the engineering costs I paid. We used a modular concrete block.

Might give you some idea what you are looking at.

I'd never buy another house with a retaining wall.