• Aug 12th, 2021 9:54 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1719 posts
915 upvotes

On route electric charging - my experiences

Left from GTA with 540km of range

Arrived in Brockville after a few stops with a plan to charge up before running to Ottawa, being that Ottawa seems to be lagging in charging locations.

Electrify Canada chargers at Canadian Tire, so beautiful! 2 x 350, and 2 x 150

Myself and a Leaf owner full fail, none of them would work. I called tech support and they couldn't get it to go either.

The 150's failed to communicate every time.

The 350's would start up, but never send any power and then fault.

I then went around the corner to Petro Canada, also 350's...

Starts no issues, flying at over 150kw/h, I am going to be back to 80+ in minutes.

Less than 3 mins in it turns off, and then again at even shorter, and then even shorter the next time.

I take my 7
mins of charging and head to Ottawa, certainly not all chargers can be so crap right?

Ottawa, my hotel has dozens of free use standard plugs they offer up in the underground.

I get a notice from my phone saying you will be charged to 100% in 70+ hours, I am leaving in like 2 days so I might need to stop again on the way home.

I go to China Town, cheap 50kw/h charger in public lot, some Quebec Hydro deal, and super close to my hotel. Get there, it works, visit website to register and unlock for use.....website dead, call 24/7 support number, yeah you guessed it, dead.

My wife wants to kill me Disappointed Face
Cool Beans
185 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1921 posts
651 upvotes
ORLEANS
i would be pissed too, as the driver. ill wait a couple more years before i get an electric car. why didnt u go to the rideau tesla super charger?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1719 posts
915 upvotes
Because I don't have a Tesla Neutral Face

Maybe by the time you come on board Tesla will run all of the charging stations and this won't be an issue.

I am going to go into Quebec tomorrow and give a different Petro a chance, rates are almost half in Quebec as well.
Cool Beans
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1148 posts
760 upvotes
ON
Did you check the plugshare reviews?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
The franchisee of the local Canadian Tire uses the Tesla Superchargers as his personal parking spot for his ICE vehicle on an almost daily basis... :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9067 posts
2367 upvotes
QTheNukes wrote: Because I don't have a Tesla Neutral Face

Maybe by the time you come on board Tesla will run all of the charging stations and this won't be an issue.

I am going to go into Quebec tomorrow and give a different Petro a chance, rates are almost half in Quebec as well.
Elon saying Tesla will open its Supercharger network to all EVs later this year.

However, since Tesla uses its own proprietory plug, you'll have to get an adapter if you don't drive a Tesla. With that said, still not a bad choice... the number of charging stations is expanding quite quickly in Canada but it's really variable and inconsistent in terms of reliability and experience.

A large part of the issue is that these charging networks allows anyone to buy and set up their own stations but it's up to the owners to determine if their station is officially part of the network or not, and owners can generally set their own charging rates/prices for the use of their stations, and its on the owners to maintain and keep the stations operational. So you can get a really disparate and inconsistent experience. Tesla's Superchargers is entirely owned and operated by Tesla so they're right on top of it for maintenance and keeping their stations operational and as a result, they are also integrated seamlessly with their cars.
Elec2016 wrote: Did you check the plugshare reviews?
Plugshare is a great tool but is not necessarily always up to date. For example, the charging stations at my office, the latest Plugshare reviews are from a year ago saying they don't work... I just used it two weeks ago without any problems.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Winkle wrote:
Plugshare is a great tool but is not necessarily always up to date. For example, the charging stations at my office, the latest Plugshare reviews are from a year ago saying they don't work... I just used it two weeks ago without any problems.
So leave a review and let people know?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9067 posts
2367 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: So leave a review and let people know?
Yes I did that, but that was the first time I'd been in the office in a year so I couldn't verify until now. Just pointing out that Plugshare reviews may not be always up to date. It's a great tool for what it is but it ain't perfect, it's not real-time information and relies on people to keep it up to date.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Winkle wrote: Yes I did that, but that was the first time I'd been in the office in a year so I couldn't verify until now. Just pointing out that Plugshare reviews may not be always up to date. It's a great tool for what it is but it ain't perfect, it's not real-time information and relies on people to keep it up to date.
I for one thank you for keeping such a good tool updated.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3891 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
-------------
Last edited by drz400 on Nov 25th, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Feb 5, 2007
694 posts
304 upvotes
This seems like the last thing anyone would want to deal with on a trip. Just curious is there a minimum connection fee with any of these providers so you are getting dinged then having to call and beg for a credit since their technology crapped out?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1148 posts
760 upvotes
ON
Winkle wrote:
Yes, only trust the ones with up to date reviews.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16996 posts
6877 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Damn I wonder if it's a string of bad luck hitting the OP, the charger being incompatible, or it just somehow broke recently. When I went to Mt. Tremblant and Montreal over the long weekend, there were a lot of EVs around, with some from Toronto judging by the license plate frame. They weren't Teslas either so range and charging options are definitely limited.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22576 upvotes
GTA
This is why I tell anyone interested in EVs to get a Tesla, purely for the charge network plus you can still use other EV chargers. That is, unless the EV is purely for local commuting.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1719 posts
915 upvotes
DealRacer wrote: This seems like the last thing anyone would want to deal with on a trip. Just curious is there a minimum connection fee with any of these providers so you are getting dinged then having to call and beg for a credit since their technology crapped out?
No fees for no power, and if you call with issues they generally try to charge you for free, but regardless, grief....and still no charges at the "onroutes"

I road trip at most once a year outside the range, so I am willing to put up with crap, but yeah, Tesla has a huge advantage here.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31895 posts
18889 upvotes
Toronto
even if I owned an EV car, I would never ever take it on a relatively long distance trip. The pain in just reading your ordeal is speechless ... just consider yourself lucky if this is not winter time and -20 degree. The charging infrastructure in Canada is still a shame, imo.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2021 posts
887 upvotes
Elgin, ON
I’ve heard of similar experiences from drivers all across the USA and Canada.

Of course, it’s not always like that, and people love to complain, more than praise, but none the less…
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
QTheNukes wrote: Left from GTA with 540km of range

Arrived in Brockville after a few stops with a plan to charge up before running to Ottawa, being that Ottawa seems to be lagging in charging locations.

Electrify Canada chargers at Canadian Tire, so beautiful! 2 x 350, and 2 x 150

Myself and a Leaf owner full fail, none of them would work. I called tech support and they couldn't get it to go either.

The 150's failed to communicate every time.

The 350's would start up, but never send any power and then fault.

I then went around the corner to Petro Canada, also 350's...

Starts no issues, flying at over 150kw/h, I am going to be back to 80+ in minutes.

Less than 3 mins in it turns off, and then again at even shorter, and then even shorter the next time.

I take my 7
mins of charging and head to Ottawa, certainly not all chargers can be so crap right?

Ottawa, my hotel has dozens of free use standard plugs they offer up in the underground.

I get a notice from my phone saying you will be charged to 100% in 70+ hours, I am leaving in like 2 days so I might need to stop again on the way home.

I go to China Town, cheap 50kw/h charger in public lot, some Quebec Hydro deal, and super close to my hotel. Get there, it works, visit website to register and unlock for use.....website dead, call 24/7 support number, yeah you guessed it, dead.

My wife wants to kill me Disappointed Face
Thank you for your honest opinion. I found honest / unbias opinions are hard to come by these days.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
It seems that the charging network may be the biggest stumbling block of things at the moment.

I'm not against buying an EV. I'm in fact looking forward to the releases in the next few years.

Hopefully the charging game gets smoother as these vehicles get adopted at a greater rate.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
Let's not start a ICE vs EV war.
Just thank the OP for his honest opinion and move on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)