[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3970 posts
370 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Router as access point?

Hi all,

My modem/router combo is currently in the basement but I can't move it because the fiber line executes at the modem. Needless to say, my wifi signal isn't the greatest on the second floor of the house. I have a cat6 cable running from the modem to a wall plate on the second floor of the house where I'd like to setup an access point.

My question is how do I get a second router connected to the wall plate on the second floor to broadcast the same wifi network as my modem/router in the basement? Do I simply setup the new router in access point mode with the same network SSIDs and passwords (for 2.4 and 5ghz) as my current modem/router combo in the basement? If I do this, won't there be two sets of my network name broadcasting then? E.g., if my network from the basement modem/router is called "Wifi" and I setup the SSID in the access point as "wifi" won't my devices see two "wifi" SSIDs when I look for available wifi networks? Or will these two SSIDs be consolidated into one by my devices?

Thanks for the help, really new to this.
22 replies
Aug 19, 2018
925 posts
912 upvotes
Yes. You can do that. That is exactly what Access point is meant for: to extend the same wifi SSID and use the same login. Device will automatically pick up the strongest one when they connect, and will switch if one of them get too weak and when they do a rescan. It won't be completely seamless but it will work with the same SSID.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3970 posts
370 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Cucumference wrote:
May 21st, 2019 9:24 pm
Yes. You can do that. That is exactly what Access point is meant for: to extend the same wifi SSID and use the same login. Device will automatically pick up the strongest one when they connect, and will switch if one of them get too weak and when they do a rescan. It won't be completely seamless but it will work with the same SSID.
Thanks. Will I see two broadcasts of the same SSIDs when I scan for a network on my devices? Or will the devices somehow just publically display one?

And would it be better to buy a router and put it in access point mode, or buy an access point?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2003
1202 posts
131 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Typhoonz wrote:
May 21st, 2019 11:07 pm

And would it be better to buy a router and put it in access point mode, or bybuy an access point?
Either will work.

For router as AP: amazon-com-refurbished-t-mobile-rt-ac68 ... 5-2185681/

For dedicated AP, buy any Ubiquiti Unifi in your price range: https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap ... B015PR20GY

My modem is also in the basement with a Cat 5e connection in the middle of the second floor. I have placed my T-mobile TM-AC1900 there which covers the entire house, including the basement.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3261 posts
396 upvotes
Kingston
If you have existing Asus routers, check to see if they are AiMesh compatible and then use them as access points. AiMesh is great if you don't have ethernet run throughout your home and don't really want the hassle of doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3970 posts
370 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
kcorscadden wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 10:30 am
If you have existing Asus routers, check to see if they are AiMesh compatible and then use them as access points. AiMesh is great if you don't have ethernet run throughout your home and don't really want the hassle of doing it.
I'd love to use mesh, but Chromecast is acting up on a mesh network. My current setup using Bell's pod mesh has been super unreliable for the Chromecast - computers won't recognize it sometimes without a reboot. Even then it stays undiscovered.

This never happened when I only used a traditional 2.4 and 5 setup.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3261 posts
396 upvotes
Kingston
Typhoonz wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:24 pm
I'd love to use mesh, but Chromecast is acting up on a mesh network. My current setup using Bell's pod mesh has been super unreliable for the Chromecast - computers won't recognize it sometimes without a reboot. Even then it stays undiscovered.

This never happened when I only used a traditional 2.4 and 5 setup.
AiMesh isn't the same as the Bell pods and it works fine with Chromecast. If you have existing compatible Asus routers laying around collecting dust, what do you have to lose? Unless you are starting from scratch and completely investing in Asus just for AiMesh then why not try it?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1536 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Typhoonz wrote:
May 21st, 2019 11:07 pm
Thanks. Will I see two broadcasts of the same SSIDs when I scan for a network on my devices? Or will the devices somehow just publically display one?

And would it be better to buy a router and put it in access point mode, or buy an access point?
You will only see 1 "Wifi" because your access point (router) will be need to be configured so that it will act as the child. The modem will be the parent. So, the modem will tell your access point what to do. This is why you will only see 1 "Wifi" when scanning for available wifi networks.

Do you need instructions on how to configure a router to be an access point?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4144 posts
1653 upvotes
Mississauga
On my Asus router it’s as simple as selecting either router or access point mode in the configuration page.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3970 posts
370 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
kcorscadden wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 4:40 pm
AiMesh isn't the same as the Bell pods and it works fine with Chromecast. If you have existing compatible Asus routers laying around collecting dust, what do you have to lose? Unless you are starting from scratch and completely investing in Asus just for AiMesh then why not try it?
Don't have an Asus router around :(.

Edit, how do the Bell pods differ from aimesh? Are pods to repeaters? Do you have any idea why Bell pods are so iffy with Chromecast? I can't even find my FireTV to cast sometimes...
Last edited by Typhoonz on May 22nd, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3970 posts
370 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
ds2chan wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 4:52 pm
You will only see 1 "Wifi" because your access point (router) will be need to be configured so that it will act as the child. The modem will be the parent. So, the modem will tell your access point what to do. This is why you will only see 1 "Wifi" when scanning for available wifi networks.

Do you need instructions on how to configure a router to be an access point?
Whatever router I get, I'm assuming I simply go into the network settings and select it run as an access point? Do I need to do anything else?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3261 posts
396 upvotes
Kingston
Typhoonz wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 5:03 pm
Don't have an Asus router around :(.

Edit, how do the Bell pods differ from aimesh? Are pods to repeaters? Do you have any idea why Bell pods are so iffy with Chromecast? I can't even find my FireTV to cast sometimes...
I don't know much about the Bell pods other than ppl think they are junk. What is nice about AiMesh is that it takes your single SSID and expands to areas of the house where it was a dead zone prior. However you don't need another SSID for that router. Depending on where you are in the house, your devices are constantly jumping between access points without you having to connect to them. They auto connect
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8105 posts
1065 upvotes
TP-Link has one of the easiest AP setups I've ever had to do and works rather well, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/417/. You can use these steps when connecting a TP-Link router to any other modem/router brand.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28374 posts
14172 upvotes
Ottawa
Typhoonz wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 5:03 pm
Whatever router I get, I'm assuming I simply go into the network settings and select it run as an access point? Do I need to do anything else?
During setup, you'll see an option for bridge, access point or repeater.
Dec 3, 2007
365 posts
28 upvotes
Is this possible to do without a wired connection between the router and access point?