• Sep 7th, 2021 12:08 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
2112 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto

Router Asus N66U

I'm currently set up my SmartRG modem/router (from teksavvy) in bridging mode and using my Asus N66U router. The router is located in the basement and on the second floor the signal drops. Should I consider an extender or is it time to buy a new one as the router I believe is several years old. Perhaps I should get another modem/router from Teksavvy?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2817 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
That router is quite an old model and just a matter of time before failure.
If there has been no changes to the home's layout and the WiFi signal drop is recent, that may be an indicator of failing router.
Consider a replacement.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7208 posts
7874 upvotes
Toronto
CDNPatriot wrote: I'm currently set up my SmartRG modem/router (from teksavvy) in bridging mode and using my Asus N66U router. The router is located in the basement and on the second floor the signal drops. Should I consider an extender or is it time to buy a new one as the router I believe is several years old. Perhaps I should get another modem/router from Teksavvy?
I would suggest move the modem to the ground/first floor (central location) since the Wi-Fi signals don't pass through certain materials and lose strength.

Dos and Don’ts of Wi-fi connectivity: Maximizing Range and Reception

Also I would consider a newer router since the since the N66U was released in 2011 is discontinued (End-of-life)
https://www.asus.com/event/network/eol-product/

I prefer separate modem + router combination than an all-in-one solution

from https://www.allconnect.com/blog/differe ... dem-router

Pros of a separate modem and router
When you have a standalone modem and router instead of a gateway, you get the following advantages:
  • More settings and customization options, like IP address, firmware and boosting transmission power.
  • Easier to upgrade your home network — you can replace one or the other (or both) at your leisure, as budget allows, etc.
  • More affordable to replace when no longer usable.
  • Improved security features (particularly on the router side), including WPA2 encryption, firewalls and VPN.
  • Greater control over your home network.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2173 posts
1179 upvotes
London
Warlock wrote: That router is quite an old model and just a matter of time before failure.
If there has been no changes to the home's layout and the WiFi signal drop is recent, that may be an indicator of failing router.
Consider a replacement.
Quite old???
You mean 5 years?
People have strange perspectives on old.
I have socks older than that.

I use an "old" N66U as a primary, and much older ones as extenders, switches as the need arises.
I don't believe I've ever had a router fail, but of course they can.

I do agree with the second sentence.
If nothing else has changed, and you see new problems, then it MAY be the router failing.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2136 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
Install FreshTomato on the N66 and add an extender.
I doubt you need a new router.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2817 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
arisk wrote: Quite old???
You mean 5 years?
People have strange perspectives on old.
I have socks older than that.
That model was originally released 2011.
The most current firmware from ASUS was in June of 2020
During that time, there has been at least 10 CVE security notices/warnings.
Only workaround is to use third party firmware such as FreshTomato.
arisk wrote: I don't believe I've ever had a router fail, but of course they can.
You're in the minority.
Plenty of RFD members here has experienced/encountered complete/partial router failure(s).
Just browse around the few topics of router sales for comments.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8354 posts
720 upvotes
Scarborough
Only router didn't died on me is Linksys WRT45G, my N66UB1 died 2 years ago. It didn't just drop dead, I had to reboot it a few times a week.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3222 posts
1983 upvotes
SW ON
N66 had a weak WiFi in my experience with it. Replace it with a different one, not necessarily a new one.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4854 posts
949 upvotes
rural ontario
alpovs wrote: N66 had a weak WiFi in my experience with it. Replace it with a different one, not necessarily a new one.
Ditto. Very poor range.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21264 posts
9666 upvotes
Toronto
I used a N66U for many years until I upgraded to gigabit internet. As far as WiFi range goes, it was not that bad and not really different from the AC68U that I am using now. What I have found is that routers seem to do a better job sending a signal downwards than upwards. I have always located the router on the second floor. I have always only used a single router and that has been sufficient.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3222 posts
1983 upvotes
SW ON
will888 wrote: I used a N66U for many years until I upgraded to gigabit internet. As far as WiFi range goes, it was not that bad and not really different from the AC68U that I am using now. What I have found is that routers seem to do a better job sending a signal downwards than upwards. I have always located the router on the second floor. I have always only used a single router and that has been sufficient.
In my experience the N66U had noticeably poorer range than the AC68U.