• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2017 5:38 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2009
739 posts
387 upvotes
GTA

Router for campus residence

Our daughter's attending university in the fall. She's going to be in an apartment-style residence (own room, shared kitchen and bath) and they're allowed to set up a router on their bedroom's wall port because the school recognizes not all laptops come with ethernet ports.

Would the following router be a good choice for the limited area she needs to cover? https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-3-In-1-Wirel ... B00DWFPDNO

Or is there a better option? I've had good experiences with ASUS routers and I like the price point on this.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
294 upvotes
Calgary
You can also buy a USB ethernet adapter for her laptop. Cable maybe preferable in such a densely populated environment, especially if she's not too good at securing her router.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2720 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto
jrbb0309 wrote: ... Would the following router be a good choice for the limited area she needs to cover? https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-3-In-1-Wirel ... B00DWFPDNO ...
Seriously old router model that even some third party firmware ceased support for the RT-N12.

If preference is for ASUS routers, consider those on the following list: Asuswrt-Merlin
Personal preference is for the RT-AC68 series.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2009
739 posts
387 upvotes
GTA
TotallyKiller wrote: You can also buy a USB ethernet adapter for her laptop. Cable maybe preferable in such a densely populated environment, especially if she's not too good at securing her router.
I'd be the one doing the set-up and securing but that's a great idea as well. We're still hemming and hawing here. Now she thinks she might like a desktop (all-in-one) and have it wired to the ethernet port and just use her small laptop on the university's wifi when she's not in her room.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2009
739 posts
387 upvotes
GTA
Warlock wrote: Seriously old router model that even some third party firmware ceased support for the RT-N12.

If preference is for ASUS routers, consider those on the following list: Asuswrt-Merlin
Personal preference is for the RT-AC68 series.
Thanks for the heads up. The prices I'm seeing on RT-AC68 series are more than I really want to spend on a router for one single room. Plus we're still hemming and hawing here. Now she thinks she might like a desktop (all-in-one) and have it wired to the ethernet port and just use her small laptop on the university's wifi when she's not in her room.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19329 posts
987 upvotes
RT-N12 is good enough ... especially with this ... http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=164

However, I would also concern about the interference in the 2.4GHz space ... I suppose there are going to be quite a few routers in the building ....
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2623 posts
1188 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. The prices I'm seeing on RT-AC68 series are more than I really want to spend on a router for one single room. Plus we're still hemming and hawing here. Now she thinks she might like a desktop (all-in-one) and have it wired to the ethernet port and just use her small laptop on the university's wifi when she's not in her room.
just do it
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10851 posts
2688 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I would make sure you can get a router that supports the 5ghz band as another person mentioned there will be many routers setup and most of them will probably be on 2.4ghz so you will want to get away from that band to have a better more reliable connection.

However if possible either with a laptop or desktop buying her a longer Cat6 network cable would be best overall in terms of connection.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3674 posts
3211 upvotes
Markham
Digress a little here.

Buy her a laptop anchoring cable with a number lock so that she could secure her laptop to any fixtures in residence or in library. Laptop theft is very common in university premises.
Last edited by drdtyc on May 16th, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2009
739 posts
387 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: I would make sure you can get a router that supports the 5ghz band as another person mentioned there will be many routers setup and most of them will probably be on 2.4ghz so you will want to get away from that band to have a better more reliable connection.

However if possible either with a laptop or desktop buying her a longer Cat6 network cable would be best overall in terms of connection.
That's a really good point. We have dual band at home and putting our devices on 5ghz avoids a lot of issues in our condo.
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
The amount of interference in that dorm on 2.4Ghz is going to be insane. I wouldn't even bother. If a reasonably line of sight-ish connection with 5Ghz is possible, go for it, but honestly, with wired connections being more secure, faster, and more reliable, why not just pick up a cheap USB to ethernet dongle and a cat5e cable and have her plug in when she gets back to the dorm?

I wouldn't run a WLAN in a dorm. Kids are punks. There are probably 10 hacker punk kids on just her floor alone trying to screw around.