• Jul 20th, 2015 3:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 6, 2008
334 posts
103 upvotes

Which Router to Choose

I am in need of a new router, my Linksys EA6500 is a complete POS when it comes to wireless stability. Cannot even stream from my Plex server to a Chromecast one floor above. Wired is no issue (to an HTPC in the same location). Besides the constant poor wireless connectivity on my current EA6500 I am dealing with the random reboots (at least daily) and just complete meltdowns (monthly) requiring a hard reset.

I was going to jump on an ASUS AC66U, but the price of the TPLink Archer C7 is very tempting. Love the stable DDWRT option on the ASUS.

My biggest need is stability. I will have about 15 devices connected on an average day (both wired and wireless).

Not looking to break the bank, sub $200 for sure. Technically I don't even have any AC devices, but want to be ready for the new technology when it does eventually enter my home.

I have done lots of research, but nothing compares to real world users experiences.

Thanks,
WM
25 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19357 posts
1024 upvotes
Have you tried 3rd party firmware yet ? I think Tomato is available for EA6500 v2 ...
Jul 9, 2015
1 posts
Fort Erie, ON
And my vote goes to the archer c7 and my very old to link was excellent and when I broke it accidentally I grabbed a belkin that even their own customer service couldn't get it to operate brand new out of the drained box from Walmart... So returned it and got a d link one sale and wish I'd spent the money for the tp link instead... And comes well recommended by wintronic computers also
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
720 upvotes
If you plan to one day put a VPN client onto the router, then get a router with a dualcore cpu, as only those can run a vpn at full speeds. Not even an AC66 can run a vpn at full speeds
Nov 9, 2009
807 posts
138 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Can you suggest a make and model? Thanks.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2008
334 posts
103 upvotes
willy wrote: Have you tried 3rd party firmware yet ? I think Tomato is available for EA6500 v2 ...
Main problem... I have the v1. I will look into other 3rd party firmware this weekend before I buy something else.

Right now I can get the Archer C7 for $99 all in OR the Netgear R7000 for $185 all in. RT-AC66U falls somewhere around $165.

The reviews of the C7 are sooo good, but I know it has more basic features. The R7000 at that price is a great deal imo.

Thanks for the info.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2008
334 posts
103 upvotes
ttothel wrote: my ac66u is solid
Any random wifi drops or restarts? That is the big issue I am facing now, unstable wifi.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2008
334 posts
103 upvotes
Ordered the R7000 from staples. 189 all in. Pick up tomorrow.

Thanks again for the feedback and info.
Aug 14, 2009
482 posts
99 upvotes
wingman75 wrote: Any random wifi drops or restarts? That is the big issue I am facing now, unstable wifi.
not really, i put merlin firmware on when i got and havent updated it since, reminds me i probably should now
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38211 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
wingman75 wrote: Ordered the R7000 from staples. 189 all in. Pick up tomorrow.

Thanks again for the feedback and info.
Good choice, this router is a beast.
I've been using one for the past few months and have yet to experience any issues.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2008
334 posts
103 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Good choice, this router is a beast.
I've been using one for the past few months and have yet to experience any issues.
Thanks. So far the difference is astounding!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29362 posts
14858 upvotes
wingman75 wrote: My biggest need is stability. I will have about 15 devices connected on an average day (both wired and wireless).
pfSense. There's nothing you can throw at it that'll break it.
I have a thousand days uptime on some deployments without breaking a sweat.

You'll need an AP too since there's no (useful) wireless. I'd get a UniFi.

UniFis are cheap. pfSense however is not since it's built on a computer.
But to me it's worth it.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
Using pfsense box with ecc ddr2 memory and uptime's over 10 months.....

good luck getting that kind of uptime with a consumer grade router
Apr 26, 2005
561 posts
144 upvotes
Richmond
spinningpiledriver wrote: What is router with the best price performance ratio right now?
R7000 with Merlin

But

You get peace of mind if you buy RT AC68U/R straight
Nov 25, 2013
102 posts
2 upvotes
Have been using RT AC66U for 2 years. Works fine until about month ago where the wireless speed drops to 50% of what it was. Guess 2 years is probably its lifespan :(
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
1586 posts
84 upvotes
kosmosrl wrote: Have been using RT AC66U for 2 years. Works fine until about month ago where the wireless speed drops to 50% of what it was. Guess 2 years is probably its lifespan :(
Does it still "work"? I mean how does it "break" like that?
Nov 25, 2013
102 posts
2 upvotes
spinningpiledriver wrote: Does it still "work"? I mean how does it "break" like that?
It works. Just that the wireless speed I am getting is around 50Mbps. Plug in a new TP Link and I get 100. Used to have normal speed with that AC66U. Speed only drops about 1 month ago.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)