• May 26th, 2020 9:36 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 3, 2020
77 posts
9 upvotes

A router with a good range?

Hi everyone,

I just got the TPLink AC1900 Mu-Mimo router since my ISP modem did not give better speeds and wifi signals. After installing this new router, I got great speeds but still unable to find good wifi range.

My house is around 1500 sqft and it's installed in the first floor, the signal is not reaching properly to one of the rooms in the far corner. What should I do about it? Are there better routers below $150? Should I got for Extenders, but what would be good ones?

The TPLink router I got:
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC1900-Sm ... B07NF3K74H
43 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4595 posts
1599 upvotes
Install a second router on the second floor. SIMPLE.

First, the house was prewired with ethernet cables.

The Rogers CODA modem in the basement. A D-Link Gigabit switch is connected to it.

I ran my own ethernet cable from the switch to the dining room to feed my work laptop (as I work in the dining room) ... require a lot on online video conference meetings.

Another ethernet cable runs from the switch to the mainfloor laundry room where I have the Rogers SmartHome Monitoring modem that connects to the indoor camera as well as the garage door module.

The other three ports connect to the prewired ethernet cables running to the living room and second floor rooms.

I put the D-Link DIR-859 AC1750 router on the main floor (named 1-DIR859) in the living room (back of the house) direct connection to the wall outlet ... which feeds wireless signal to the back of the house which I can connect to in the backyard.

Then ran my own ethernet cable back down to the basement and back up to behind the TV in the same room where I have an Asus Gigabit switch which connects to the desktop, receiver, android box and TV to provide direct conneciton.

I put a second D-Link DIR-859 router on the second floor (named 2-DIR859) in one of the bedrooms (front of the house) direct connection to the wall outlet ... which feeds wireless signal to the front of the house which I can connect when I am across the street in my neighbour's backyard.

A desktop that I strictly use for downloading is connected directly to the wall outlet.

No failed connections. No drop of signals.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
May 3, 2020
77 posts
9 upvotes
Wow. Pretty cool setup. But I dont want to add a second router now, since I've spent for the TPLink one just now. So would an extender work? Any thoughts on that?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4595 posts
1599 upvotes
Never bothered looking at an extender.

I only prefer a wired connection and the router would have better bandwidth.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
May 3, 2020
77 posts
9 upvotes
You are right. Will look for a router option too.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33306 posts
7006 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
APL866 wrote: You are right. Will look for a router option too.
Don’t buy a router. Get an access point

Amazon has the EAP 245 on sale right now for 89$. It will solve your problem
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7509 posts
812 upvotes
Waterloo
Currently I'm on a 50mbit service with ac1900? Tplink archer c9 I've noticed my router is very laggy. Currently their is 5 people using the internet but not at once.... Any suggestions to boost my speed on wifi? I'm only getting 30mbit out of 50mbit....

Took 15 hrs to download battlefield 1 lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7979 posts
2671 upvotes
Maple
sassysue wrote: Took 15 hrs to download battlefield 1 lol
Downloaded via wireless?
Should downloaded via wire (connect to router directly)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4595 posts
1599 upvotes
Its common sense that downloading via ethernet gives the fastest and stable connection.

That's why I have one machine dedicated to do that. It takes me less than 30 minutes to download a 45 episode drama series in HD that has files over 500MB each.
Jan 4, 2007
248 posts
111 upvotes
APL866 wrote: Hi everyone,

I just got the TPLink AC1900 Mu-Mimo router since my ISP modem did not give better speeds and wifi signals. After installing this new router, I got great speeds but still unable to find good wifi range.

My house is around 1500 sqft and it's installed in the first floor, the signal is not reaching properly to one of the rooms in the far corner. What should I do about it? Are there better routers below $150? Should I got for Extenders, but what would be good ones?

The TPLink router I got:
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC1900-Sm ... B07NF3K74H
Amplifi is good. I can get good coverage in both my neighbours houses.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5508 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Don’t buy a router. Get an access point

Amazon has the EAP 245 on sale right now for 89$. It will solve your problem
Yup was about to suggest this too.
[OP]
May 3, 2020
77 posts
9 upvotes
Bought the Asus RT-AC86U. It's really good, only thing is the 2.4 G drops some devices randomly and reconnect.
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C
APL866 wrote: Bought the Asus RT-AC86U. It's really good, only thing is the 2.4 G drops some devices randomly and reconnect.
Are you running the latest firmware? Did you do a site survey and choose a less congested control channel?
[OP]
May 3, 2020
77 posts
9 upvotes
Soichiro wrote: Are you running the latest firmware? Did you do a site survey and choose a less congested control channel?
Did update to latest FW. But kept the Auto channel selection. Might do that and see.
Jan 4, 2007
248 posts
111 upvotes
Gee wrote: It is over priced and fugly
sigh, why would the look of electronics matter? (especially one that you'll likely never look at) function seems to be more important....
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33306 posts
7006 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Username77 wrote: sigh, why would the look of electronics matter? (especially one that you'll likely never look at) function seems to be more important....
You're absolutely right.

Try explaining that to your wife
Feb 12, 2007
6 posts
My 2-cents is to return it (if you can) and get mesh-capable routers. Sadly the A9 doesn't support this, which is silly considering the lower models do (https://www.tp-link.com/ca/onemesh/compatibility/ and https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/f ... pic/169028).

My house is about the same size, though old with thick plaster walls.
I had similar issues with a different router and switched to a mesh system.
You can get mesh routers for around $100 each (or less if used). I got 2x of these on Kijiji for a steal (https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Wireless- ... ics&sr=1-1)
After setting it up, I have a well over 250Mbps from most devices, and a min of 180Mbps from the worst sport in the house, and 90Mbps at 100ft from the back door.
Signal strength is between -50 to -60dBM from both bands (2.4 or 5GHz) which will easily handle 4K streaming.

I realise that my new routers aren't bleeding edge and do have some shortcomings that will irritate techies (e.g. no built in VPN), but I'm a rather heavy user and have been thrilled with the performance.

Hope this helps.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax
jdmfishingonly wrote: Install a second router on the second floor. SIMPLE.

First, the house was prewired with ethernet cables.

The Rogers CODA modem in the basement. A D-Link Gigabit switch is connected to it.

I ran my own ethernet cable from the switch to the dining room to feed my work laptop (as I work in the dining room) ... require a lot on online video conference meetings.

Another ethernet cable runs from the switch to the mainfloor laundry room where I have the Rogers SmartHome Monitoring modem that connects to the indoor camera as well as the garage door module.

The other three ports connect to the prewired ethernet cables running to the living room and second floor rooms.

I put the D-Link DIR-859 AC1750 router on the main floor (named 1-DIR859) in the living room (back of the house) direct connection to the wall outlet ... which feeds wireless signal to the back of the house which I can connect to in the backyard.

Then ran my own ethernet cable back down to the basement and back up to behind the TV in the same room where I have an Asus Gigabit switch which connects to the desktop, receiver, android box and TV to provide direct conneciton.

I put a second D-Link DIR-859 router on the second floor (named 2-DIR859) in one of the bedrooms (front of the house) direct connection to the wall outlet ... which feeds wireless signal to the front of the house which I can connect when I am across the street in my neighbour's backyard.

A desktop that I strictly use for downloading is connected directly to the wall outlet.

No failed connections. No drop of signals.
Alrighty, RFD computer gods, I am need of some advice. Will try and explain the current set up, what is lacking, and then your recommendation(s).

3,500 sq. ft. home, 2 stories with walkout basement.

Running Rogers 500.

Rogers modem is in the basement next to the electrical panel and is hard wired cat 5/6 to three locations in the home.

1st, Second story office where a switch is located. Attached to the switch is a PC, local network hard drive and an ASUS RT-AC86U AC1900. That is used for the wireless in the house as the Rogers wireless is turned completely off due to its location in the basement.

2nd, Main floor family room attached to another switch. Attached to that switch are a number of HT items like consoles, media players, Sonos Connect, etc..

3rd, Basement close to the Rogers item another switch which has Sonos amps hooked in as well as home security camera system.

The issue: when trying to access wireless in the backyard around the pool etc., especially for the Sonos system (2 sets of speakers wired to the Sonos amps in the basement)/Spotify, it is all over the place. Speakers found, then lost, then found.

I don not know the tech term but the Asus wireless unit was originally attached to the switch in the office and things in the house, not including backyard were fine. When I changed the settings so I could monitor the kids' device usage on the Asus App from my phone, things went wonky with the Sonos environment. Randomly losing speakers and having to reset all of the Sonos products (1 connect, 1 Play 5, and 2 amps) each time. Strangely Spotify would find the speakers while Sonos own App couldn't. Sometimes the speakers disappear from the Spotify App, then I need to go to the PC, pull up Spotify and they are listed there, play something on the one(s) I lost and then they show up in the Spotify app on the Samsung phones. WTH?!

Anyway, I would like something to make all of this normal: wifi coverage in the backyard and more consistency with the Sonos system. FYI, the Sonos Connect and Amps are hard wired to switches. The Play 5 is wireless only.

What do you experts recommend?
Do I go with two or three of these units on sale?
Can I use my existing unit or better just to get all the same?
Can I use the switches as mentioned above to achieve the mesh set up?

Was looking at other mesh systems but just do not know.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15040 posts
2968 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I’m very satisfied with my Linksys Velop units. Rock solid performance throughout the home. Look for deals if you can find any.