• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2017 4:37 pm
[OP]
Mar 15, 2013
15 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

Router Help ; TP-Link Archer vs Linksys

Hi All, long time lurker first time poster so please take it easy on me Winking Face

So I jumped on Carrytel offer for 150/15 @ $49.99 and now I need an upgrade for my router. Currently I have a Asus RT-N12 which I got from Start.ca, but I think it's time for an upgrade due to the anticipated higher bandwidth. Currently I'm looking at a few options, all refurbs from Newegg. Newegg has some great deals on the TP Link C series. I've heard good things about the C7, but the C8 and C9 are also at discount prices from Newegg. On the other hand they also have two Linksys routers which I'm also curious about, which would be the EA8500 and EA9200. I missed out on the TP-Link AC2600 since it's now out of stock.

So my question is should I go with the Linksys since they offer higher AC ratings? The problem is that the reviews for the EA9200 have been less than stellar, but youtube videos show a lot of people actually liking both the Linksys units. I'm not the most network savvy, but I do try and troubleshoot my hardware issues when it comes to my tech so I don't mind working on optimization, but if the units from Linksys are inherently flawed in some way I'd more likely steer away from these. The TP Link routers also have a two year warranty which is decent for refurbs, where the Linksys units have a 90 day return policy.

C9 - https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product @ $89.99
EA8500 - https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product @ $135.99
EA9200 - https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product @ $135.99

The only reason why I'm currently contemplating the Linksys models, is mostly for "future proofing" my network. Currently, I have a PS4/projector with android (toumei c800)/ and a laptop in my mancave which is a room away from my modem/router. It's about 30-40 feet away from the router, so id rather not hardwire any of these units to the router. and all three of these are being used at the same time. Hoping on any wise input from you fellow RFDers, I also don't buy refurbs often and I've heard its very hit or miss, but when it comes to saving so much I think I can take the risk.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1078 upvotes
Saint John
Based on what I learned when researching routers, those high "AC numbers" they advertise are marketing BS. They're maximum *theoretical* throughput with multiple devices connected, using special proprietary and expensive wifi adapters sold by the same company, or with two routers in communicating directly with each other.

I ended up buying a C7 and it's worked well for me. The Linksys ones are probably fine too. Personally, I'd tend toward saving money and get the cheapest model.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2013
15 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the input, you've made a very valid point. I guess I just wanted to know if I'd see a noticeable difference going with a 135$ router compared to the C series ones from TP-link. Might do a little more research before pulling the trigger, but you're right the C7 is a tried tested router and I'll save a bunch of cash
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19344 posts
997 upvotes
Have you tried your existing RT-N12 yet ? What kind of real-life performance are you getting ?

The 100Mbps WAN/LAN porst will limit the top-end speed but I am thinking you could use it as an AP to cover certain deadspot around your home ....
Last edited by willy on Aug 1st, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2615 posts
2130 upvotes
Cambridge
Another vote here for the Archer C7. Fantastic, especially for the price.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7897 posts
4019 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Presently using C1900 [basically different colour C9]... good range... UI bit buggy [won'y keep my settings for turning on/off wifi; keeps for a few days then does opposite!!].

If can get C7 for less then C8, C9 then go that route. A 1750 or 1900 router is more then enough for most folks and even 1200 sufficient.
2022: BOC raised 2 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2013
15 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
willy wrote: Have you tried your existing RT-N12 yet ? What kind of real-life performance are you getting ?

The 100Mbps WAN/LAN porst will limit the top-end speed but I am thinking you could use it as an AP to cover certain deadspot around your home ....
I haven't got set up with carrytel yet so I'm still currently with start at 60down/10up. That's a great idea about using my current router as an AP. Real world performance isn't great with the current set up. I live in a 650 sq ft condo and the WiFi to my spare room is pretty crappy. I tested the speed to my ps4 a few nights ago and was getting 8-13 Mbps. Wired connection I can get close to the advertised 60mbps but during peak hours can get to the low 40s
[OP]
Mar 15, 2013
15 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: I just bought a new Lynksys EA6900. Not a high end one but work perfectly fine for what I need it for and no problems whatsoever. Easy to set up also.
Thanks for the input, newegg also has one of these units for 108$ i believe, I'll take a closer look. Any drops in your service? How often do you have to reset/power cycle your network?
orbitdesign wrote: Another vote here for the Archer C7. Fantastic, especially for the price.
Awesome! glad you're enjoying your purchase so far. Any drops in your service? How often do you have to reset/power cycle your network?
georvu wrote: Presently using C1900 [basically different colour C9]... good range... UI bit buggy [won'y keep my settings for turning on/off wifi; keeps for a few days then does opposite!!].

If can get C7 for less then C8, C9 then go that route. A 1750 or 1900 router is more then enough for most folks and even 1200 sufficient.
Thanks for your input! I can save 10 bucks going C7 than the C8, and 20$ going C7 opposed to C9. I'm just curious how much of a performance gain I would get with a 1ghz processor compared to the 800mhz processor on the C7. I'm sure it's not that much of a noticeable difference, but I can see that having a higher processor can have more leg room if needed.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2615 posts
2130 upvotes
Cambridge
ViciousAnxiety wrote: Thanks for the input, newegg also has one of these units for 108$ i believe, I'll take a closer look. Any drops in your service? How often do you have to reset/power cycle your network?

Awesome! glad you're enjoying your purchase so far. Any drops in your service? How often do you have to reset/power cycle your network?

I haven't had any issues with it and the signal is great across our home... also haven't had any need to power cycle it. It's been solid, so far. I did a bunch of reading comparing the C7/C8/C9 and went with the C7 for more than just saving a few bucks, though I can't remember why! I think it may have been the most reliable of the three, but don't quote me on that!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7897 posts
4019 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ViciousAnxiety wrote: Thanks for the input, newegg also has one of these units for 108$ i believe, I'll take a closer look. Any drops in your service? How often do you have to reset/power cycle your network?

Thanks for your input! I can save 10 bucks going C7 than the C8, and 20$ going C7 opposed to C9. I'm just curious how much of a performance gain I would get with a 1ghz processor compared to the 800mhz processor on the C7. I'm sure it's not that much of a noticeable difference, but I can see that having a higher processor can have more leg room if needed.
Check what USB3 inputs each has and do you need. C7 has no USB3 and no beamforming.

Suggest C7 if not need USB3 else C9. I got C1900 simply because it was on sale for $100

Comparison:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-C ... +archer+c7
2022: BOC raised 2 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)