Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11076 posts
4331 upvotes

Router options...

Looking for a secondary router.

What would be the best option for a desktop wired to a router that supports bridge/ repeater bridge mode running off a main router Asus AC86U and a Hitron modem?

I wanted to get a second AC86U but they are $249 at the moment so quiet pricey.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1384 posts
1020 upvotes
Québec
It seem you don't need another router, but a switch or a smartswitch.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11076 posts
4331 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: It seem you don't need another router, but a switch or a smartswitch.
wanted to improve wireless speeds on the 2nd floor as well
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13084 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
If its going to be wired then get a gigabit switch if you can run a cat6 from the current router to the switch & from there to the computer.

https://www.newegg.ca/trendnet-teg-s82g ... 6833156448
blexann wrote: Looking for a secondary router.

What would be the best option for a desktop wired to a router that supports bridge/ repeater bridge mode running off a main router Asus AC86U and a Hitron modem?

[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11076 posts
4331 upvotes
sickcars wrote: If its going to be wired then get a gigabit switch if you can run a cat6 from the current router to the switch & from there to the computer.

https://www.newegg.ca/trendnet-teg-s82g ... 6833156448
main router is on the 1st floor so I have no way to hardwire the switch, it's why I need a wireless option from the main router and then from there hard wired to the computer
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2154 posts
378 upvotes
Vancouver

Hi,

I'm using a Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC long range router. It's on the second floor, the Hitron modem wasn't able to broadcast down to the first floor room at the other end of the house. Have the Hitron modem broadcasting the 2.4 ghz. band & the Ubiquiti broadcasting the 5.0 ghz. band. So powerful that I have 5.0 ghz. throughout the house & both the front & back yards.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap ... 9G488&th=1
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11076 posts
4331 upvotes
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

I'm using a Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC long range router. It's on the second floor, the Hitron modem wasn't able to broadcast down to the first floor room at the other end of the house. Have the Hitron modem broadcasting the 2.4 ghz. band & the Ubiquiti broadcasting the 5.0 ghz. band. So powerful that I have 5.0 ghz. throughout the house & both the front & back yards.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap ... 9G488&th=1
If this is PoE only.....it won't work in my scenario since I don't have ethernet on the 2nd floor.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: If this is PoE only.....it won't work in my scenario since I don't have ethernet on the 2nd floor.
Unifi APs ship with a POE injector
May 26, 2018
33 posts
35 upvotes
Where did you install the unifi, 2nd floor ceiling or 1st floor?
Thanks for your info.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1664 posts
279 upvotes

USB wifi adapter. Cheap and won't slow down your wifi.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16790 posts
5269 upvotes
Markham

asus-rt-ac86u-ac2900-dual-band-gigabit- ... 0-2387800/
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2154 posts
378 upvotes
Vancouver
joe9045 wrote: Where did you install the unifi, 2nd floor ceiling or 1st floor?
Thanks for your info.
Hi,

The Hitron modem & my desktop computer are next to the outer wall of the house in the dining room. The Unifi is about 20 ft. away, in the living room more in the centre of the house. They are both on the second floor. The Unifi is connected to the Hitron with flat Cat 6 cable. With the flat lan cable, I was able to hide the cable behind the wall baseboards. The Unifi is sitting on the floor behind the sofa, pointing straight up. I had tried it in different positions & in different locations on the second floor. For whatever reason, this location & position puts out the strongest signal to the downstairs room. The Hitron is on a pedestal on my desk, otherwise the electronic devices at my desk would block or interfere with the wifi signal broadcasting from the Hitron.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6248 posts
2887 upvotes
Durham

Recently upgraded my two existing routers (D-Link DIR-859) ... had one on the second floor at the front of the house and a second one on the mainfloor in the living room at the back of the house.

House is 1800 sf detached.

Replaced them both with the Huawei AX3 Pro (Quad Core) WiFi 6 Routers.

SWEET! Amazing signal strength!

I was at my neighbour's backyard (5 houses down ... approximately 200 feet away) ... was still connected strongly on the Huawei router (2.4GHz connection) that is in my living room in the back of the house.

No complaints at all! It's a great router ... and the 5GHz connection in the living room for our devices was unbelievably fast!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2