• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 5:11 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton

Router Recommendations

I have been using a combination of my ISP supplied modem/router "working" in tandem with a Asus RT-N16. Its such a nightmare whenever something happens getting them both working again.

Looking for an upgrade and wondering if anyone had some recommendations. When the thread in hot deals popped up for the TP-Link M5 3 piece mesh network router for $229 it seemed like a good deal but the router seems very basic. I want to retain the functions that normally come with a router.

Can I buy a router that will offer the same coverage as a mesh network but give me the full functionality of a regular router?
  • 2000 sqft house, 10yrs old
  • Multiple devices including over 10 TP-Link Wifi switches/plugs
  • Netflix wifi streaming

Is ASUS the way to go? Almost all of the high end router deals in Hot Deals are for Asus models, but Ive ready a lot from people who have had problem with theirs and apparently Asus support is junk.

Any suggestions?
59 replies
Dec 12, 2009
87 posts
69 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I've been using a Linksys EA6900 for a few years now and I have had no issues with it. I put the modem in bridge mode and all settings are done through the Linksys router. As for coverage, I used it in a 1900 square foot house and it reached all areas. Others may chime in with other suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I refuse to pay more than $100 for a router.
Have had a D-Link AC 1200 for the last three years with no problem.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Staples usually has their in-store 50%-off-clearance-items sale in January, and there are usually a bunch of routers. You might want to wait until then.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
To be honest, if the range is good and gives me full coverage throughout the house on both bands I'm OK with spending $200 on one.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
All the EA6900 owners .... Have you guys/gals fixed the 32KB NVRAM issue ?
Jun 9, 2012
505 posts
361 upvotes
Vancouver
If you did your research and found PC mag's review of consumer grade routers, you will find that 2.4 GHz N usually caps out at 75 to 150 mbps for the majority of routers, depending on distance. 5 GHz AC usually caps out between 300 to 600 mbps, depending on distance.

The moral of the story is that there isn't exactly a great router out there that could perform insane speeds as advertised by the naming of their routers and if you have gigabit internet you aren't getting what you paid for if you have no wired devices.

As an aside, all you should be looking for is a router that is under $100 that is tested by PC mag and has adequate performance. Then use ethernet lines and buy another router (set to node/bridge mode) to extend the signal if needed (you can convert some phone line wires in wall into ethernet). This method avoids self inflicting wifi interference (at least on 5Ghz)

If running wires are not an option, just buy a mesh package that costs less than $70 per unit, since you will need more mesh units to overlap each other's signal to maintain reliability. Keep in mind that going mesh based solution means slower speeds, as your wifi nodes will interfere with each other like your neighbors wifi signal.

I have used D-Link, tenda, and Asus routers. Of the 3, Asus routers have better functionality and has AI mesh if you ever want to start using wifi mesh in the future.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4808 posts
1803 upvotes
Get a mesh system. Most of them are similar. Just get the one for the best price. Google WiFi is good, eero, tplink ones are fine. You have to look at price vs feature vs performance. Sometimes may not be worth pay $150 more if a similar device is on sale from another brand.
Last edited by EEE2 on Dec 12th, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
BigBrother0 wrote: If you did your research and found PC mag's review of consumer grade routers, you will find that 2.4 GHz N usually caps out at 75 to 150 mbps for the majority of routers, depending on distance. 5 GHz AC usually caps out between 300 to 600 mbps, depending on distance.

The moral of the story is that there isn't exactly a great router out there that could perform insane speeds as advertised by the naming of their routers and if you have gigabit internet you aren't getting what you paid for if you have no wired devices.

As an aside, all you should be looking for is a router that is under $100 that is tested by PC mag and has adequate performance. Then use ethernet lines and buy another router (set to node/bridge mode) to extend the signal if needed (you can convert some phone line wires in wall into ethernet). This method avoids self inflicting wifi interference (at least on 5Ghz).

If running wires are not an option, just buy a mesh package that costs less than $70 per unit, since you will need more mesh units to overlap each other's signal to maintain reliability. Keep in mind that going mesh based solution means slower speeds, as your wifi nodes will interfere with each other like your neighbors wifi signal.

I have used D-Link, tenda, and Asus routers. Of the 3, Asus routers have better functionality and has AI mesh if you ever want to start using wifi mesh in the future.
Thanks for the response, you bring up some good points. I did look up PC Mag's recommendations, here is their "Best Routers for 2018". Based on that, they have the "Best Priced" router identified as the Asus RT-AC66U B1, which goes for $152.99 at Staples.

First I need to do more research on the whole gigabit wired connection setup. I do have some wires run.
  • Main ISP modem/router is in the unfinished basement at the electrical panel
  • 1 wire running from the basement to the main floor entertainment unit to a switch. Most of the wired devices are located here (TV, amplifier, PS4, WDTVLive Hub). This location I would call it very central, almost exact middle point in the house.
  • 1 wire running from the basement to one bedroom at the front of the house which is acting as our computer room. Located at the front of the house away.

I just checked and this computer I am on in the computer room does in fact have a gigabit connection to the ISP router in the basement. So maybe I need to check and make sure I am using a gigabit switch and giving all of those wired devices on the main floor gigabit as well (that is, if any of them are even compatible themselves. )

Based on your highlighted comment above, would you then recommend that I should scrap the plan of going with 1 better router and putting it on the main floor, disabling the ISP router and go back to my original setup of continuing to run the ISP router and extend it to the second floor with another middle of the road unit?
EEE2 wrote: Get a mesh system. Most of them are similar. Just get the one for the best price. Google WiFi is good, eero, tplink ones are fine. You have to look at price vs feature vs performance. Sometimes may not be worth pay $150 more if a similar device is on sale from another brand.
I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the TP-Link unit that was on sale for $229 last week, but from what I read it is a very basic unit will little to no additional functions and it doesn't even have a GUI. I don't think I want to give that up. Is there any mesh networks that have all of the features of a regular router (and that isn't $600)
Last edited by adblink182 on Dec 12th, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
OP, just look for a sale on a refurbished Asus AC68U or variant from Newegg. They put it on sale from time to time on their site and via eBay. You should be able to get it for around $100. This router works great and should deliver enough performance to cover the entire house. Merlin provides excellent ongoing support for this router. I have just one installed on the second floor and I have good wireless signal everywhere indoors and outdoors.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: I did look up PC Mag's recommendations, here is their "Best Routers for 2018".
Probably the best source for router reviews and recommendations is https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

They have consistent thorough tests that cover all the bases, not just a quick superficial test in the reviewer's house. Their overall rankings may be based on some factors that don't affect you, so keep that in mind.

When considering range and coverage, you have to realize that all routers have the same government-mandated maximum transmit power, so there are no miracles where one is "more powerful" and has much better coverage than another. Some may have an antenna configuration that may work better for their placement in your house. More expensive routers can handle multiple high-speed streams to multiple devices at once using more antennas, but the throughput to any one device is constrained by the number of antennas it has - and most devices have one or two antennas. So that big number you see in the router model number (like "2600") does not necessary indicate what it's going to be able to do for you in your house with your devices.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4808 posts
1803 upvotes
Look at this thread
[Memory Express] Edgerouter-X - $60 - $9 shipping or free instore pickup - best budget enterprise router. - RedFlagDeals.com Forums https://forums.redflagdeals.com/memory- ... r-2247740/

Get one of these puppies then get some good access points. Make your own network. You can get decent APS $75-100 each. Or I heard the Asus firmware where you can create your own mesh using their routers. But not those Lyra system. See this

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca

This probably the best firmware out there that makes your router beyond amazing.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
518 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: I have been using a combination of my ISP supplied modem/router "working" in tandem with a Asus RT-N16. Its such a nightmare whenever something happens getting them both working again.

Looking for an upgrade and wondering if anyone had some recommendations. When the thread in hot deals popped up for the TP-Link M5 3 piece mesh network router for $229 it seemed like a good deal but the router seems very basic. I want to retain the functions that normally come with a router.

Can I buy a router that will offer the same coverage as a mesh network but give me the full functionality of a regular router?
  • 2000 sqft house, 10yrs old
  • Multiple devices including over 10 TP-Link Wifi switches/plugs
  • Netflix wifi streaming

Is ASUS the way to go? Almost all of the high end router deals in Hot Deals are for Asus models, but Ive ready a lot from people who have had problem with theirs and apparently Asus support is junk.

Any suggestions?

any sub-100$ router with good review and cheap Chinese rage extender. For example:
https://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Repeater ... B07GBY8FV9

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2513 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
I’m going throw this out there because I’ve been running my RT-N16 for years in a 2000 sqft house with no issues: install Tomato instead of the factory firmware and play around with the antenna orientation. Remember that the wifi signal is like a donut around the axis of the antenna so you can direct signal strength by reorienting the antenna.

Mine sits in my basement with the two outside antennas horizontal and the middle one vertical.
I get full coverage through the house and even outside on the porch. It’s even good enough to support my Wyze Cams which are mounted outside.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
joo wrote: I’m going throw this out there because I’ve been running my RT-N16 for years in a 2000 sqft house with no issues: install Tomato instead of the factory firmware and play around with the antenna orientation. Remember that the wifi signal is like a donut around the axis of the antenna so you can direct signal strength by reorienting the antenna.

Mine sits in my basement with the two outside antennas horizontal and the middle one vertical.
I get full coverage through the house and even outside on the porch. It’s even good enough to support my Wyze Cams which are mounted outside.
Not a bad idea, I could try it before spending the money on a new one
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
imakewafflez wrote: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=063780
$89.99

The TP-LINK AC1750 Archer C7 is a good price if you're looking to buy something retail. I'd take a Tp-link over D-link or Linksys any day of the week. Asus routers tend to be more reliable but you pay a premium for them.
It's okay at best....dropouts are not uncommon. I bought mine more than three years ago for cheaper... probably no more than $60-$70 from Amazon. Looking to replace it sooner than later.
May 17, 2013
9 posts
9 upvotes
That sucks, I have never had an issue with my Tp-link router and I've had nothing but issues with Linksys and D-link. I had a Asus N900 Dark knight that lasted forever. As for pricing ymmv ofcourse. The canadian dollar was worth 30% more like 3 years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
It may not be that easy trying to figure out where a problem like dropouts actually occur.
We thought for the longest time our D-Link router was the problem, partially because we couldn't access the modem since the log in was somehow locked, maybe by the ISP.

But we figured out eventually that the issue was partly the modem, manu Technicolor modems use a chipset that has a known problem with momentary drops, and then the cable internet had its own issues with congesion.

Finally switched to Bell Fiber with the HH3000 moden/router combo and all previous dropout and congestion problems have disappeared.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)