• Oct 18th, 2019 1:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 26, 2017
47 posts
24 upvotes

Router Thoughts - Weird issue

I currently have d-link Ac2600 for about a year and recently have been running into troubles.

I know this may sound weird because to me this is crazy. The router is in my room and connected to the modem which is in the basement. I ran a CAT5 from modem through the walls to the router, signal is good and no issues when streaming, or playing online.

Over the past 3 months I noticed that when I'm on the wifi I completely lose cell phone network after streaming for 10 - 15min. I had the note 8 and thought it was a phone issue. Recently got the note 10plus and same issue. Stream youtube for 10 - 15 min, cell phone network disappears, no inbound or outbound calls. I have to restart the phone to get coverage back. I got fed up an gave my note10 to Roger's to service. Roger's gave me a lender phone Sony xperia. After a day or 2 of using that same issue. So I determine it being the router. It must be blocking network in my room/ upstairs.

Just got my note10 back n Roger's said no issues found on the phones end.

So I want to replace my router, preferably move away from d-link, what brand would be worth buying?

Any help is appreciated! :)
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2782 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
For simple setup, the ASUS routers are popular.
Generally satisfactory factory firmware, satisfactory firmware update frequency and decent third party (Asuswrt-Merlin) firmware option.
e.g. ASUS RT-AC68 series, ASUS RT-AC1900 and the current favourite ASUS RT-86U model.

If you are technically inclined,
The routers supported by OpenWrt may be of interest.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2017
47 posts
24 upvotes
Thanks everyone, I'll try restarting router to factory n set up again.

And I was thinking Asus also, :)
Nov 1, 2015
559 posts
246 upvotes
BC
LakshRFD wrote: Thanks everyone, I'll try restarting router to factory n set up again.

And I was thinking Asus also, :)
Could it be a problem with the SIM card? Especially if you have been using the same SIM in every phone.

Its literally impossible for WiFi to mess with your cell signal as they run on entirely different frequencies.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2375 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto
That's the weirdest issue.

Try to use your phone to text or something and see if you'll lose cell signal. That is, don't use the wifi but stay connected to the router.

You should also try using your phone but disconnect from the router (just "forget" the ssid for your wifi name).

Did you ever try to go to somebody else's house and use their router to see if you'll lose your cell signal?

I would also suggest asking friends if anybody has an old router that you can borrow. Replace your router with this old one and see if the same thing happens.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Jun 14, 2009
33 posts
4 upvotes
Your router has nothing to do with your cellphone coverage, it's an issue with your cell provider probably bad signal in ur building.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10399 posts
2756 upvotes
Winnipeg
LakshRFD wrote: I currently have d-link Ac2600 for about a year and recently have been running into troubles.

I know this may sound weird because to me this is crazy. The router is in my room and connected to the modem which is in the basement. I ran a CAT5 from modem through the walls to the router, signal is good and no issues when streaming, or playing online.

Over the past 3 months I noticed that when I'm on the wifi I completely lose cell phone network after streaming for 10 - 15min. I had the note 8 and thought it was a phone issue. Recently got the note 10plus and same issue. Stream youtube for 10 - 15 min, cell phone network disappears, no inbound or outbound calls. I have to restart the phone to get coverage back. I got fed up an gave my note10 to Roger's to service. Roger's gave me a lender phone Sony xperia. After a day or 2 of using that same issue. So I determine it being the router. It must be blocking network in my room/ upstairs.

Just got my note10 back n Roger's said no issues found on the phones end.

So I want to replace my router, preferably move away from d-link, what brand would be worth buying?

Any help is appreciated! :)
are you using the latest 1.20B06 for your router
https://support.dlink.com/productinfo.aspx?m=DIR-882-US

but honestly dropping cell phone seems a little out of the dance for the router. I like others mentioned would maybe look at a new sim card.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20394 posts
8428 upvotes
Toronto
I had a d-link router long ago that started acting up and doing strange stuff like this after about 18 months of usage. I would have to power cycle it every week or so. Eventually it was like a daily need. Since they don't offer software updates, there was no resolution. I ditched it and promised myself never to buy a router that does not run readily available third party firmware.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16284 posts
5049 upvotes
London
Turn off wifi calling
(Rogers can tunnel voice/sms via wifi)