• Oct 20th, 2020 10:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19544 posts
4161 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

Routine Vaccinations During Covid?

What are people doing for routine vaccinations in Ontario, which you're supposed to update on a certain schedule, during Covid?

My family doctor has been closed for months. Are people just passing on this stuff? Or going to travel clinics?

Edit: I should clarify here, my Family Doctor's office is "physically" closed but they do phone consultations. But they apparently don't "physically" let people into the office, hence this question.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Oct 13th, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8405 posts
2084 upvotes
Are you sure your dr is "closed". Mine does phone/televideo consults, but if you need one you get an appointment the next day. Including for vaccinations. I got a shot in July (from the nurse).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19544 posts
4161 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
zoro69 wrote: Are you sure your dr is "closed". Mine does phone/televideo consults, but if you need one you get an appointment the next day. Including for vaccinations. I got a shot in July (from the nurse).
Yes, mine also does phone consultations. But what nurse does the injection?

I had to pick up a prescription from my family doc a couple of months ago, and they didn't even let me in the building. They just cracked the door and handed the paper to me.
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19544 posts
4161 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
zoro69 wrote: The Dr's nurse..
So they actually let you into the building? OK, that's farther than I got.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8405 posts
2084 upvotes
Yes, walk right in. It was about a 2 min appointment, weight/height, blood pressure, shot...and they bill the government for $$$.

Have you actually called your Dr and asked?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19544 posts
4161 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
zoro69 wrote: Yes, walk right in. It was about a 2 min appointment, weight/height, blood pressure, shot...and they bill the government for $$$.

Have you actually called your Dr and asked?
Thanks... I have called the family doc about other things (hence the prescription pick-up I mentioned earlier.) But since they didn't let me into the building even for that, I assumed that they wouldn't do vaccinations since that requires you to enter the building.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3293 posts
590 upvotes
Jucius Maximus - Does your family doctor have a trained nurse able to inject you with the required vaccines? This is not a stupid question. My doctor is a sole practitioner and has an office manager, but not a nurse. Hence all injections are given by the doctor. I would call and ask.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3713 posts
679 upvotes
Newbury, ON
Many pharmacies do vaccinations.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33918 posts
19763 upvotes
Ottawa
My GP hasn't administered vaccinations for over a decade now.
She only meets us to diagnose illness, injury, health concerns or prescribe RX.
The RPNs are the ones administering vaccinations.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1895 posts
459 upvotes
In Hiding
My GP set up a special few hours to give enhanced flu shots to seniors - appointment required. There was no waiting in line, we all social distanced outside, had our shot and went out through a different exit.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
742 upvotes
Richmond
Mine does phone and video and in person. In person if he thinks it warrants a 2nd closer look.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14497 posts
11703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Have been for my annual since Covid
(During the less risky Summer lull)

My Doctor has been doing phone consultations all along

Visits to their office was by appointment only ... on an as needed basis

Believe this is the norm now in most of Canada

I was the only patient in a generous booked off time slot
(So they could properly sanitize before & after etc)

The Drs Nurse did the usual bits prior to my seeing the Dr
(Blood Pressure, Height, Weight, etc)

I got a booster shot while I was there ...
In my case the Dr did it
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4355 posts
1614 upvotes
GTA
I usually get my flu shots at a Shoppers location previous years. I guess stock isn't too great at the moment since no locations up in York Region seem to have it. I had to go to my doctors office to get it today instead.