B.C

Royal Bank Old School Banking

delete
41 replies
Apr 11, 2003
701 posts
181 upvotes
Edmonton
Why not just pay it online? I haven't made a bill payment in a bank in at least 10-15 years. All my online bill payments say "bill payment".
Mar 27, 2009
264 posts
50 upvotes
Question: why do you pay bills in the old school way of using a teller at a branch? If that method bothers you so much, why not use telephone banking or online banking or even pay your bill at an ABM? It seems a bit much to complain about something being "old school" while you're engaging in "old school" behaviour.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
81 upvotes
Ah, so you're the bugger who stuffs up the line by paying their bills in the branch. :|
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2175 upvotes
Save your self time, headache, gas, pay your bills online.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1239 posts
698 upvotes
Edmonton
I'll just add to the chorus and point out that "Royal Bank" is an "old school" way of referring to "RBC"! ;)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5438 posts
80 upvotes
Sydney
The only reason to use the tellers is to get some special service that isn't available online like cash withdrawals in certain denominations, foreign exchange, immediate money orders, etc. To stand in line and pay credit card bills is a waste of everyone's time. No wonder banks need to charge more to keep branches open later. Thank you on behalf of everyone that has to pay fees due to the actions of a handful of clowns.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1239 posts
698 upvotes
Edmonton
ItemFinder wrote: The only reason to use the tellers is to get some special service that isn't available online like cash withdrawals in certain denominations, foreign exchange, immediate money orders, etc. To stand in line and pay credit card bills is a waste of everyone's time. No wonder banks need to charge more to keep branches open later. Thank you on behalf of everyone that has to pay fees due to the actions of a handful of clowns.
Well, now, wait a minute...I understand your frustration, but I personally know a few people, particularly seniors, who are uncomfortable with ATM's and online banking, and prefer dealing with tellers for everything because that's what they know and are comfortable with (I recently had to pull my own mother, kicking and screaming, into the online banking age...and as for my dad, forget about it--he still uses a typewriter, if you can believe that). And there's nothing wrong with that. It's quite possible that the OP is one of those older folks who just isn't comfortable with things like online banking. Even if he/she isn't, there's no rule saying everyone has to use online banking (convenient though it might be for us, as you pointed out, if everyone did so).

Mind you, if the OP is a young guy who's just having a laugh at us and trolling, then I fully support any further invective you might want to toss his way ;)
Apr 11, 2003
701 posts
181 upvotes
Edmonton
canadave wrote: Well, now, wait a minute...I understand your frustration, but I personally know a few people, particularly seniors, who are uncomfortable with ATM's and online banking, and prefer dealing with tellers for everything because that's what they know and are comfortable with (I recently had to pull my own mother, kicking and screaming, into the online banking age...and as for my dad, forget about it--he still uses a typewriter, if you can believe that). And there's nothing wrong with that. It's quite possible that the OP is one of those older folks who just isn't comfortable with things like online banking. Even if he/she isn't, there's no rule saying everyone has to use online banking (convenient though it might be for us, as you pointed out, if everyone did so).

Mind you, if the OP is a young guy who's just having a laugh at us and trolling, then I fully support any further invective you might want to toss his way ;)
I'll give you that. But if you can go online, find a forum, create an account and post frustrations online - you can probably bank online. My grandmother wouldn't have used online banking, but she also wouldn't have used e-mail, web, or online forums either.

While I respect some's wishes to remain the same, the difficulty comes in supporting all ends of the spectrum. What's next, horse and buggy on the freeway? Gotta move into the future someday. Or at least the present.

All that said - it doesn't change the fact that if you go to a teller, who can do anything at the counter, and do a bill payment, it's perfectly reasonable to expect for that to show up as a *bill payment*. Whether it's a minor thing or not, one should be able to expect some amount of accuracy, no?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
Why does it matter if it says "Bill Payments" or "Cash Withdrawals"? isn't transaction through tell is unlimited and doesn't count towards the monthly transaction limit?

As long as the credit card/bill gets paid off, I don't think it should really matter, unless there is something I don't understand for the difference.
May 27, 2006
228 posts
6 upvotes
msm21 wrote: I wonder if anyone else has this problem. Every time I pay a bill in the Royal Bank branch they post my transaction as a Cash Withdrawal. Then I get mad and tell them to fix it and make it say bill payment and all they do is deposit the money back and take it out again. Why is RBC still in the old school banking days everyone else I talk to says their banks post bill payments as bill payments!!! anyone else have this problem? Is there a way for the teller not to mark your in branch bill payments as Cash Withdrawals
Yes please do what everyone is saying... Your computer will not "eat" your money.. Also please don't start paying your bills at the bank machine.. its very annoying.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4384 posts
482 upvotes
msm21 wrote: Now does anyone know if there is a way to request a bill payment to say bill payment not cash withdrawal while paying the bill at the teller aside from solutions about going online or the phone
hmm ask the teller before making the transaction that this is what you want done.... not sure if it'll make a difference

or ask the teller to setup online banking and get them to pay your bill online for you =)
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
lol so u are one of those old people standing in line to pay your bills?
Even my dad knows how to use telephone banking lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1239 posts
698 upvotes
Edmonton
ACC-Major wrote: lol so u are one of those old people standing in line to pay your bills?
Even my dad knows how to use telephone banking lol.
Don't make fun of old people. Because guess what--with luck, some day, you'll be one yourself. And I'm sure you won't want some kid sneering at you just because you want to bank on the quaint "Internet" and not in the holographic chip-implant 3D virtual bank that everyone else uses :P
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
canadave wrote: Don't make fun of old people. Because guess what--with luck, some day, you'll be one yourself. And I'm sure you won't want some kid sneering at you just because you want to bank on the quaint "Internet" and not in the holographic chip-implant 3D virtual bank that everyone else uses :P
Usually I am up-to-date on technology (moderately).

Yeah, the Internet is getting out of date now. We need a new breakthrough for technology.
Dec 14, 2009
40 posts
4 upvotes
If you do the transaction at an RBC branch it will always show up as "Branch to Branch" or "Cash Withdrawal".
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
I smell troll

If you can create a profile and do two posts, you can pay bills online
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
86 upvotes
old school troll, old school troll :D
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
May 19, 2006
543 posts
141 upvotes
Working at the bank ... you wouldn't believe how many people are paranoid about "big brother" watching and knowing what they are doing with their money and seniors who refuse to use direct deposit because they "like checking their mail".

Add these people to the mix of people who clog up the line ...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
At TDCT my bill payments don't say "bill payment" on my statement, they say the company name and a confirmation code. Why do people still bank at RBC? I'll never get that.

Also, I agree, there are far too many "clowns" using teller services that really don't need to. You look at the lines on Mondays or Fridays, especially at month end or beginning and I guarantee you 90% of the people in line are doing something they can easily do online or at a machine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)