RBC Avion VI, All Time High WB Up to 55K Avion Points

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2022 10:20 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4284 posts
1454 upvotes
Vancouver
cshiv wrote: I had really bad experience with @RBC with this card.
Sign up this card in sep. got 35k points after couple of week. Called them for point after signing up, The rude RBC customer service said that the point will given after 8 weeks of signing.
Spend $5k , called back again the rude customer service for remaining point. Again they said it’s will take 8 week for remaining point.
"Really bad experience with RBC." Smh.

Or you know, read the fine print yourself before signing up for an offer and use your common sense. How can they promise points within 8 weeks of signing if there's a spend requirement and 6-month spending window?

"Please allow 60 days after this requirement is fulfilled for the additional Avion points to be awarded to your account."

In most cases, this means receiving the points on your second statement date after meeting the spending requirement.
Removed external link in signature.
Nov 2, 2018
326 posts
163 upvotes
squall458 wrote: Got this card in Aug and downgraded it after waiting awhile to keep everyone happy. Been away from this thread since.

So I can apply again and get the WB if I do a new app? Is the best way through GCR to get $50?
That’s what I would like to know too
Dec 26, 2015
626 posts
384 upvotes
Manitoba
Anyone with an account, just curious about the tax/fees left over on a redemption with avion points. If I redeemed 65k for YWG -> LHR for example; how much is left being charged for taxes/fees ?

Wondering if the value of points are dwindled down aggressively cause of high taxes built into the ticket costs like they are with WestJet
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2009
1067 posts
2120 upvotes
After you make a small purchase and you get the card and 35000 points,

If you downgrade to the no fee card

Wait a few days

Then ask to switch back to the annual fee card you now have 50000 points,

Two of my associates did this,
Mar 6, 2010
795 posts
323 upvotes
Brampton
lhsonic wrote: "Really bad experience with RBC." Smh.

Or you know, read the fine print yourself before signing up for an offer and use your common sense. How can they promise points within 8 weeks of signing if there's a spend requirement and 6-month spending window?

"Please allow 60 days after this requirement is fulfilled for the additional Avion points to be awarded to your account."

In most cases, this means receiving the points on your second statement date after meeting the spending requirement.
These companies are all basically scammers - they promise one thing but ALWAYS hide the devil in details.
Tangerine told me same BS regarding their promise of 10% back if you spend 1K in first two months. That it may take 2 more months from the time I paid off the bill for `1K. Or it may take two statement "cycles" each cycle itself consists of THREE months so if I activated the card in Aug., spend and paid off 1K by late Sept., i will see the 10% back by following June

RNC Avion promo seems to be along same lines - by my calculations, it will take at least 6 months to get full 55K points from the date one activates the card and spends 5K. That means half the annual fee has to be paid. I can't really fault OP for not disclosing such important details but none of these deals are as shiny as they seem to be.
Dec 4, 2013
792 posts
401 upvotes
Mississauga
eugeneo wrote: Cancel button shows up on Manage my Booking on Air Canada. The voucher works like a gift card, and any unused funds can be used again.

We are not looking for refundable flights. We are looking for cancel to voucher, which I believe Economy Standard also allows (I have not tested this).

I booked Economy Flex, to push up the cost to the maximum amount of $350.

$350 per person in a Economy Flex ticket? Not really… purposely choose the more expensive flights.
What i summed up from your process is, one need to shell taxes and fees (in your case around $200 hard cash) to get north of 2cpp rate in AC vouchers. To maximize the 60k, get $1780 ($350*4+96*4) worth of AC vouchers
$350 is the max one can get from 15k avion points
$96 is the avg taxes on such adjacent province flights
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1675 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
Very interesting developments with the AC vouchers!

Upside = maximizing value of the points by getting AC vouchers, another option to extend your use of the points before the first year is up

Downside = have to pay for the fees/difference with cash upfront, no travel insurances when you eventually use the vouchers for flights, limited to AC travel only

Is there expiry date on these vouchers?
Aug 24, 2021
141 posts
119 upvotes
eugeneo wrote: $350 per person in a Economy Flex ticket? Not really… purposely choose the more expensive flights.
Very interesting, indeed... Thanks for sharing!
To complement the comment above (expiry date? - it seems that it has https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... chers.html#/) with 2 additional questions:
- Are you sure you can use this voucher for ANY destination (and not only for the original flight)
- If this works for RBC... will it likely work for other cards then? Amex has 15K fixed points for a maximum 300$ flight for example
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2450 posts
2025 upvotes
Surrey
luking wrote: These companies are all basically scammers - they promise one thing but ALWAYS hide the devil in details.
Tangerine told me same BS regarding their promise of 10% back if you spend 1K in first two months. That it may take 2 more months from the time I paid off the bill for `1K. Or it may take two statement "cycles" each cycle itself consists of THREE months so if I activated the card in Aug., spend and paid off 1K by late Sept., i will see the 10% back by following June

RNC Avion promo seems to be along same lines - by my calculations, it will take at least 6 months to get full 55K points from the date one activates the card and spends 5K. That means half the annual fee has to be paid. I can't really fault OP for not disclosing such important details but none of these deals are as shiny as they seem to be.
I've had this card 3 times. 2 times got the full 55k bonus in about 1.5 months and the 3rd time took about 2.5 months. Almost all the prorated fees back after product switching. Seems like a good deal to me
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
2794 posts
2813 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
Does that mean you pay $95.88*2+16.8 out of the pocket but converted the points + tax to $908.56 AC voucher?

Can we use multipl vouchers in one flight?
eugeneo wrote: Just as an update to this. Tested this again, and with Air Canada the cancel button shows up after around 24 hours after ticketing.

Booked YVR-YYC, Flex ticket that showed and overage

Traveller 1: Adult
Flight15,000
Taxes & FeesC$95.88
Traveller 2: Adult
Flight15,000
Taxes & FeesC$95.88
Over Max. Ticket PriceC$16.80

Total30,000 pts and C$208.56

Per Air Canada: AIR CANADA TRAVEL VOUCHER AMOUNT $908.56

$700 / 30,000 pts = 2.3 cents per point into a AC Voucher.
Mar 15, 2011
181 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone else having issues switching their card through the website?

For the past two weeks I can keep on getting an error when trying to downgrade the card online.

"Something went wrong and we couldn’t switch your credit card type online. Please give us a call and we’ll help you over the phone."
Jan 29, 2022
86 posts
78 upvotes
If I signed up in April or May and downgraded in Oct, how long do I need to wait until I can re-apply?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
4032 posts
826 upvotes
eugeneo wrote: Yes for 2 people. Purposely booked the more expensive flights as well as FLEX fares instead. We will instead book normal standard flights for $120 ish instead… or burn some air miles before they go bankrupt (haha)

I don’t think you can book fully refundable tickets on the portal either. Not that it would get refunded anyways to your credit card as air canada doesn’t directly charge your card.
Thx for the info!

I took a look and lot of the options don't show Economy flex or and only Business flex which then has a cash component of $1k +

Can you share the dates you used?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)