• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2020 1:50 am
[OP]
Jun 8, 2020
88 posts
105 upvotes

[Royal Bank] RBC banking account - Free Airpods with Charging Case

Get the Latest Apple AirPods with Charging Case at No Cost
When you open an eligible RBC bank account.

Offer ends August 31, 2020. Conditions apply.

How To Get Started
Step 1: Open an eligible RBC bank account by August 31, 2020

Step 2: Set up and complete two of the following by November 30, 2020:

-Your payroll as a direct deposit
-Two pre-authorized monthly payments (PAPs)
-Two bill payments to a service provider

Step 3:
They’ll send you an email shortly after you qualify with instructions on how to order your AirPods with Charging Case.

Eligible Personal Banking Accounts include:
- RBC No Limit Banking account);
- RBC Signature No Limit Banking account;
- RBC VIP Banking account
27 replies
Dec 24, 2011
619 posts
1395 upvotes
East, Canada
Here’s the fine print that you’re looking for:
This offer is to receive one complimentary Apple AirPods. It is only available to permanent Canadian residents who, as of June 22, 2020 do not have, and in the 5 years prior have not had, a Personal Banking Account with Royal Bank of Canada or any of its deposit taking subsidiaries, who as of September 30, 2020 have reached the age of majority in the province or territory in which they reside, and who meet all other terms and conditions of the offer. To qualify, you must:
If you’ve had an RBC chequing account in the past 5 years, forget it. RBC don’t want to offer you some free AirPods to go with the free iPad from last year.
Amex Platinum, Amex Cobalt, Amex Bonvoy and Amex Bonvoy Business card holder
British Airways American Express (UK)
[OP]
Jun 8, 2020
88 posts
105 upvotes
RaiderX wrote: Here’s the fine print that you’re looking for:

If you’ve had an RBC chequing account in the past 5 years, forget it. RBC don’t want to offer you some free AirPods to go with the free iPad from last year.
Good to know! I was wondering how long I'd have to wait once I close my account, to be eligible for those promotions.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2017
1202 posts
1267 upvotes
So I guess last year was the last great year to open an RBC account
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
7912 posts
8304 upvotes
Calgary
Is this the typical RBC offer where you pay for 75% of the “free “ item with fees?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1892 posts
3541 upvotes
Thanks OP but TBH, it's not worth banking with RBC. Whatever the value of these are, you'll pay in service fees or ghost fees over time. I know people are going to ask, what are ghost fees? That's what we called them when I worked there. You'll get charged a fee with no rhyme or reason. Sure, it may be only $0.25 to $1.00 here and there but think of how many other accounts they're doing it to. Lots of customers don't notice or pay attention to them. I used to get written up all the time for asking ghost fees to be returned. It's hard when the employee has more ethics than the company they work for.
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2020
88 posts
105 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote: Is this the typical RBC offer where you pay for 75% of the “free “ item with fees?
Well you can waive the fees if you open a LOC, a credit card, have at least 500$ in investments with RBC, get a mortgage with RBC and sell your soul!
Dec 11, 2012
336 posts
1016 upvotes
Waterloo
Important clause:

Your Eligible Personal Banking Account must remain open and in good standing, and the Qualifying Criteria you performed to receive the Reward (for example, setting up payroll/pension deposit or pre-authorized payments) must remain in effect until at least September 30, 2021.

So the math is: $11 monthly fee, if you wait till the last day to do this which is August 31, 2020 and you have to keep it open for a year until August 31, 2021 =12x$11 = $132.

I have seen them as low as $165 and you don’t have to make any bank accounts nor satisfy any bs conditions. Just pay and get on with your life.

Seems like a decent deal at most. Also, they didn’t mention if it is the wireless charging case.

iPad deal seemed better imho.

Thanks anyway OP!
Mar 31, 2020
270 posts
151 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
They had this offer a few months ago, ended in April iirc.

Never knew they had an iPad offer though. That sounds totally awesome.
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
2179 posts
921 upvotes
Toronto
I'd say out of all the bonus things, CIBC has he best where you open a new Smart account, first year of fees waived AND perform qualifying requirements to get $300.
I'd rather take money instead of your "gift", Chinese style
If you're seeing this message, it means I cared enough to downvote or felt the need to upvote. Either way you get a👎/ 👍 so be grateful that your thread is being bumped
May 31, 2019
178 posts
850 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: Thanks OP but TBH, it's not worth banking with RBC. Whatever the value of these are, you'll pay in service fees or ghost fees over time. I know people are going to ask, what are ghost fees? That's what we called them when I worked there. You'll get charged a fee with no rhyme or reason. Sure, it may be only $0.25 to $1.00 here and there but think of how many other accounts they're doing it to. Lots of customers don't notice or pay attention to them. I used to get written up all the time for asking ghost fees to be returned. It's hard when the employee has more ethics than the company they work for.
I work at RBC and no one from my branch has ever heard of the term "ghost fees". RBC would only be charging monthly service fees, there is nothing RBC can charge your account that a customer service rep would not be able to explain to you over the phone - We have trace numbers and support for every transaction.

This sounds to me like your lazy way of explaining fees to your clients back when you worked for the bank. "Excuse me sir, I don't understand these charges could you explain?" "Oh, those are them dam ghost fees!"

I also did a google search for RBC "Ghost Fees" and your post is literally the only thing that comes up.
Nov 30, 2017
293 posts
197 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: Thanks OP but TBH, it's not worth banking with RBC. Whatever the value of these are, you'll pay in service fees or ghost fees over time. I know people are going to ask, what are ghost fees? That's what we called them when I worked there. You'll get charged a fee with no rhyme or reason. Sure, it may be only $0.25 to $1.00 here and there but think of how many other accounts they're doing it to. Lots of customers don't notice or pay attention to them. I used to get written up all the time for asking ghost fees to be returned. It's hard when the employee has more ethics than the company they work for.
I have never heard of a bank that does that. I know Rogers or bell always have sneaky ways to charge a client but not a bank.

These fees are so small so they stand out so much, it’s hard not to catch them if one person at least read the statements.

Did you do something you that come with a fee like e transfer? What’s the description of these fees?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6689 posts
6667 upvotes
Having worked at several banks, this is total BS
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2336 posts
525 upvotes
York
iPad > Airpods. Oh well, they won't get much traffic from this promo.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8952 posts
4861 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Is 5 years new standard?
I remember it was like 3 years before. I could be wrong.
KanataKG wrote: Having worked at several banks, this is total BS
I believe him. Sounds like he works in customer service.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1892 posts
3541 upvotes
2016YamR6 wrote: I work at RBC and no one from my branch has ever heard of the term "ghost fees". RBC would only be charging monthly service fees, there is nothing RBC can charge your account that a customer service rep would not be able to explain to you over the phone - We have trace numbers and support for every transaction.

This sounds to me like your lazy way of explaining fees to your clients back when you worked for the bank. "Excuse me sir, I don't understand these charges could you explain?" "Oh, those are them dam ghost fees!"

I also did a google search for RBC "Ghost Fees" and your post is literally the only thing that comes up.
1. Royal Direct, different environment. And we used the term around us as a team. It wasn't RBC wide. And the rest of your comment is just dumb and not worth responding to. Just shows your lack of professionalism.
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1892 posts
3541 upvotes
At the time there was no reason for the charge. Hence the reason the staff around me and I called it ghost fees. When a person uses their account often, they may not notice or pay attention.
BYE BYE ROGERS!
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1892 posts
3541 upvotes
You have the right to your opinion. And you may have not experienced any of this. I'm only sharing my personal, scratch that, professional experience as a former staff member. Maybe they fixed that bug by now? Who knows.
BYE BYE ROGERS!
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
May 29, 2018
29 posts
7 upvotes
Are these the airpods with wireless charging case?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)