Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Bank] RBC IPAD (2018) OFFER

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 1:17 am
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 26, 2012
107 posts
129 upvotes
Nepean
jeeva86 wrote: Just closed my account, here are my steps(iOS):

1. Open mobile app
2. Click on more tab
3. Contact us
4. Call now
5. Your bank accounts
6. A number to call, along with a unique extension code is generated, hit call
7. You’ll get someone on the line fairly quickly with access to your account already
8. Tell them you want to close your chequing account
9. They will verify more personal info and come back with a prorated amount to leave in the account for the monthly fee.
10. I emt’ed the rest out while they were on the phone
11. They submitted the cancellation request
12. It can take up to 2 business days to process but your card and account cannot be used immediately.

No questions asked, smooth process!
Thanks for the tip! Contacted RBC just through their contact us on their website and they were going to charge $25 for closing the account over the phone. I used your steps and there were no issues!
Member
Sep 9, 2019
333 posts
190 upvotes
hoogs33 wrote:
Thanks for the tip! Contacted RBC just through their contact us on their website and they were going to charge $25 for closing the account over the phone. I used your steps and there were no issues!
How did you avoid the $25 charge for closing over the phone? From the steps above, I don't see that user was ever charged a fee?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 4, 2005
6634 posts
976 upvotes
Ottawa
The $25 fee looks phoney, I think that's only if you close within 90d. I think the rep was lost.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 26, 2012
107 posts
129 upvotes
Nepean
dealpool wrote: How did you avoid the $25 charge for closing over the phone? From the steps above, I don't see that user was ever charged a fee?
Sorry, I used the steps from the user above and they did not charge me a fee. When I contacted through RBC website, they were going to charge $25.
Member
Sep 9, 2019
333 posts
190 upvotes
So I closed my account via the secure message route. They didn't charge me any fees, just told me to transfer everything out so zero balance, then they closed account. Didn't mention the monthly fees (supposed to be on the 5th but Oct 5th is Sat so should be taken today) so I wasn't deducted any nor did they tell me to leave x amount in the account.
Newbie
Feb 3, 2014
82 posts
61 upvotes
Burlington
jeeva86 wrote: Just closed my account, here are my steps(iOS):

1. Open mobile app
2. Click on more tab
3. Contact us
4. Call now
5. Your bank accounts
6. A number to call, along with a unique extension code is generated, hit call
7. You’ll get someone on the line fairly quickly with access to your account already
8. Tell them you want to close your chequing account
9. They will verify more personal info and come back with a prorated amount to leave in the account for the monthly fee.
10. I emt’ed the rest out while they were on the phone
11. They submitted the cancellation request
12. It can take up to 2 business days to process but your card and account cannot be used immediately.

No questions asked, smooth process!
This worked perfectly - just closed my account now! Next fee was supposed to come out on the 17th but the rep just told me to transfer out my entire balance, didn't get charged any prorated fee.
Sr. Member
Sep 25, 2004
918 posts
400 upvotes
I also closed my account through online messaging. I transferred all money out, then contacted them. They responded by telling me to make sure I had a $0 balance (which I already did and told them...), and I replied back advising I printed all documents and had a $0 balance. The account was then set to close, and they told me it would take 3 business days. No additional prorated fee. Total cost for me was $180.84 for the iPad with 11 full months and a partial month. Since I was buying one for my son for Christmas anyway, it was worth it.

Top