Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Bank] RBC IPAD (2018) OFFER

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 1:17 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1751 posts
538 upvotes
so little update - I went to the branch and switched my account from Signature No Limit to No Limit and brought up the fact that they were increasing the monthly fee on the original plan as the reason for change.
The manager said no problem and that there would be no penalty. I recorded the conversation so if ever they come back to charge me for the iPAD, I will have a proof I guess.
Since I have a multi-product rebate with them, the No Limit account is 0$. I had a problem with this rebate not being applied properly at the beginning so when the branch applied it manually, they also gave me one month's fee as well so I paid 6.86(partial fee, first month) + 8.95*7months = 69.72$ and I got way more than 70$ bux worth while studying this spring.

:) very happy

On the side note, the bank teller was so horrible. She kept on arguing with me that there was only one "No Limit" account, that there was no 6$ multi-product rebate (it's on your damn website! I showed it to her too but she was like "I've never seen a 6$ discount") and kept on arguing the No Limit account at 10.95$ was 14.95$ account after the multi-product rebate. OMG. If it was some niche product, a 7yr GIC with investments in India or something then I would understand. But it's 2 out of 4 basic chequing accounts! I hope she's not getting paid a lot cuz clearly she couldn't do her job - had to call her manager who confirmed right away that I was right.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7018 posts
3329 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jessicacha wrote: so little update - I went to the branch and switched my account from Signature No Limit to No Limit and brought up the fact that they were increasing the monthly fee on the original plan as the reason for change.
The manager said no problem and that there would be no penalty. I recorded the conversation so if ever they come back to charge me for the iPAD, I will have a proof I guess.
Since I have a multi-product rebate with them, the No Limit account is 0$. I had a problem with this rebate not being applied properly at the beginning so when the branch applied it manually, they also gave me one month's fee as well so I paid 6.86(partial fee, first month) + 8.95*7months = 69.72$ and I got way more than 70$ bux worth while studying this spring.

:) very happy

On the side note, the bank teller was so horrible. She kept on arguing with me that there was only one "No Limit" account, that there was no 6$ multi-product rebate (it's on your damn website! I showed it to her too but she was like "I've never seen a 6$ discount") and kept on arguing the No Limit account at 10.95$ was 14.95$ account after the multi-product rebate. OMG. If it was some niche product, a 7yr GIC with investments in India or something then I would understand. But it's 2 out of 4 basic chequing accounts! I hope she's not getting paid a lot cuz clearly she couldn't do her job - had to call her manager who confirmed right away that I was right.
I also had really bad experience with RBC teller.
I went in and asked to fix the name of my account as they put part of my long first name as middle name.
She refused to change it and said there is no difference between first name and middle name in the system.
It created problem with the credit report and that is why I want to fix it.
I wonder if it is the culture of RBC to be stubborn about something they don't know.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Mar 28, 2011
811 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
For those that also signed up for the credit card, the annual fee kicked in (I signed up in Aug 2018 for the chq account for iPad and visa for the 30k points)

Will now need to call in to ask for waiver or cancel right away
Nov 26, 2013
512 posts
37 upvotes
Has anyone did the 2019 version of this deal? I had 2 pap's taken from my RBC to Tangerine account on August 30th according to my RBC statement but I still haven't received the iPad order e-mail. Is this normal?
Jul 5, 2017
80 posts
36 upvotes
Getting close to closing date. IIRC from earlier in the thread it was September 27 right? So, can we safely close the account on the 28th and avoid the October monthly account fee?
Mar 28, 2011
811 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
ovaltene wrote: Getting close to closing date. IIRC from earlier in the thread it was September 27 right? So, can we safely close the account on the 28th and avoid the October monthly account fee?
Yes Sept 28 is the day to close it
I also swapped my Avion to rewards+ no fee visa and used up my 30k in $300 amazon gift cards
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1861 posts
602 upvotes
Guys, it's almost time to cancel the account.
From first page "Monthly fee is also prorated so I’ll pay for remaining days of Aug and then stay 13months and cancel on Sept 30 2019"

Account open: Aug 6th
Partial account fee: Aug 6 to 14th $4.xx
iPad Offer email: Aug 26th

Is my 13 months going to be Aug 6? Or the day I got my iPad offer email which is Aug 26th? Or 28th?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1124 posts
1073 upvotes
Toronto
Whats the actual RBC fee for closing an account however?
Sep 9, 2019
333 posts
190 upvotes
Hi! If we close the account on the 28th, and we transfer out the money before then, would they still charge us the monthly fee (mine is in the first few days of the month so early Oct)?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6491 posts
931 upvotes
Ottawa
dealpool wrote: Hi! If we close the account on the 28th, and we transfer out the money before then, would they still charge us the monthly fee (mine is in the first few days of the month so early Oct)?
Good q, I’m sure they’ll prorate the charge as that’s what was done during sign up. Does that mean we have to go into a branch to cancel, I really want to avoid that, if possible.

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlinebank ... ccounts/#9
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6491 posts
931 upvotes
Ottawa
dealpool wrote: Yeah I'm hoping some RFDer would know the question to this!
I plan to cash out on the 28th, then send a secure message to close my account. If they say I need to pay any fees, I'll e-transfer the cash in, then retry.
Sep 9, 2019
333 posts
190 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: I plan to cash out on the 28th, then send a secure message to close my account. If they say I need to pay any fees, I'll e-transfer the cash in, then retry.
I was planning to try the secure message too! Let's see if they say anything about the fees m... Good luck!
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1861 posts
602 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: Good q, I’m sure they’ll prorate the charge as that’s what was done during sign up. Does that mean we have to go into a branch to cancel, I really want to avoid that, if possible.

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlinebank ... ccounts/#9
My monthly charge was prorated. I am guessing it's the same when we close the account.
I don't need an appointment right? I just need to go to the teller.
Sep 9, 2019
333 posts
190 upvotes
story wrote: My monthly charge was prorated. I am guessing it's the same when we close the account.
I don't need an appointment right? I just need to go to the teller.
You can also close your account by sending a secure message, but balance has to be zero first. That's why we have the question if we close it online, how will the fees be charged.
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlinebank ... dex.html#9

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)