Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Bank] RBC IPad offer is back - 2019 (Royal Bank)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 4:32 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1591 posts
703 upvotes
Laval
Some banks do credit checks just to open bank accounts
Jan 16, 2010
63 posts
100 upvotes
Milton
Has any existing rbc client been able to take advantage of these deals? If so, how?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1683 posts
414 upvotes
so little update from someone who participated in 2018 - I went to the branch and switched my account from Signature No Limit to No Limit and brought up the fact that they were increasing the monthly fee on the original plan as the reason for change.
The manager said no problem and that there would be no penalty. I recorded the conversation so if ever they come back to charge me for the iPAD, I will have a proof I guess.
Since I have a multi-product rebate with them, the No Limit account is 0$. I had a problem with this rebate not being applied properly at the beginning so when the branch applied it manually, they also gave me one month's fee as well so I paid 6.86(partial fee, first month) + 8.95*7months = 69.72$ and I got way more than 70$ bux worth while studying this spring.

:) very happy

On the side note, the bank teller was so horrible. She kept on arguing with me that there was only one "No Limit" account, that there was no 6$ multi-product rebate (it's on your damn website! I showed it to her too but she was like "I've never seen a 6$ discount") and kept on arguing the No Limit account at 10.95$ was 14.95$ account after the multi-product rebate. OMG. If it was some niche product, a 7yr GIC with investments in India or something then I would understand. But it's 2 out of 4 basic chequing accounts! I hope she's not getting paid a lot cuz clearly she couldn't do her job - had to call her manager who confirmed right away that I was right.

@hotpawz you can participate if you don't have chequing. if not, it's not possible. I had savings, CC, mortgage but not chequing so I was able to participate last year.
Jul 5, 2017
68 posts
25 upvotes
I got this last year. It's not difficult to get, RBC deals with the promotion qualifications rather straightforwardly as long as you follow all the fine print but you would have to determine for yourself whether you want a 2018 6th gen iPad for $200. Technology depreciates quickly; that said an iPad, even an older one I've found seems to retain at least a $100-150 value when I check the local classifieds.
Apr 28, 2007
455 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
mtlmonk wrote: Some banks do credit checks just to open bank accounts
You may refuse to do credit check. Credit check is for them to see if the bank can offer pre-approve products for you eg credit card, over draft protection or line of credit.
Dec 11, 2003
906 posts
190 upvotes
Montreal
I got my ipad last year, very happy with it
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
(shamelessly copied since this is best signature ever)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1366 posts
252 upvotes
Edmonton
hotpawz wrote: Has any existing rbc client been able to take advantage of these deals? If so, how?

Thanks!
Not a chance. 25 years (x2 headcounts) with almost 20 products with RBC here; zero offer to things like ipad or discount monthly fee, etc.
Nov 13, 2017
18 posts
15 upvotes
Set up two of the following:
Your payroll as a direct deposit
Two pre-authorized monthly payments (PAPs)
Two bill payments to a service provider

Does anyone know if a bill payment to a credit card company (PC Financial) would qualify as a bill payment to a service provider?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1791 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
As others have said, it’s still cheaper than buying retail.
While it’s not a super speedy iPad Pro, it’s more than enough for most media consumption and some basic productivity apps.

And this serves as a good reminder to cancel my account in Sept. :)
Jan 16, 2010
63 posts
100 upvotes
Milton
uglyguy wrote: Not a chance. 25 years (x2 headcounts) with almost 20 products with RBC here; zero offer to things like ipad or discount monthly fee, etc.

Lovely... Sounds pretty typical of them. Thanks for the info!
Nov 12, 2017
407 posts
293 upvotes
uglyguy wrote: Not a chance. 25 years (x2 headcounts) with almost 20 products with RBC here; zero offer to things like ipad or discount monthly fee, etc.
There's no benefits when it comes to loyalty anymore.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1149 posts
201 upvotes
krispy4 wrote: There's no benefits when it comes to loyalty anymore.
Funny, because the bank expect loyalty from you the customer - solely based on the fact they do what you pay them to do. When time comes for them to match competitor's offer and you decide to leave they can't understand why.
Nov 13, 2016
304 posts
289 upvotes
Montreal
Signed up for No limit signature account yesterday. I opened a Credit Card also with RBC. Confused about multi-product rebate.

Can i avail multi-product rebate by putting 500$ in TFSA Cash /GIC? Or does it mandates mortgage?

Also, what is the easiest way to fulfil requirements? Does 2 Paytm PAD count as Two Pre-authorized payments to service providers?

Also, should these Two Pre-authorized payments to service providers from Online / Mobile banking need to be recurring? Or is it one-time?
I spent and earn with Koodo, Fido, AmEx etc | Sharing is Caring ;)
Feb 17, 2015
824 posts
286 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I have kept the account for almost a year now and got the iPad within a few weeks when I applied, I used PADs to qualify and only had them coming out for 6 months before I just started depositing only the monthly fee, when I went to setup the account I had a lot of issues including a hard pull as well, I did 4 pads I think at once and the system flagged me for fraud causing me to need 3 pieces of ID..not even 2 but 3, needless to say after that was fixed I assured the branch manager the account is getting closed right at the 12 month mark also they just sent me a statement for my cashback MasterCard I used to have with them? The account has been closed for almost a year as well and shows closed on my credit reports with a $0 balance so I am stumped at this point why they would even be sending this to me
Aug 22, 2009
296 posts
183 upvotes
Ottawa
I also got the iPad from last years promo. I wanted one out of the curiosity of getting it to try it out and see if it would replace my older laptop.

I used it every day, and found that it had a lot of uses to me. I recently sold it to my roommate, and purchased an iPad Pro to replace it.
Especially with the new iPad OS coming out later this fall, it will make it even more of a portable computer replacement.

I’m just waiting until the requirement is over, and then going to weigh my options. I kinda don’t like the way RBC processes payments, and envelope deposits??? Stone Age.