Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Bank] RBC IPad offer is back - 2019 (Royal Bank)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 4:32 pm
Dec 13, 2009
301 posts
125 upvotes
I got this deal last year . Just noticed my rates raised by $1/month, last month. Didn't realize they would do that :(
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13110 posts
10226 upvotes
Leask
Horrible deal. Hit up TD CT and Meridian this summer if you haven't already and are eligible.
💳 AmEx Cobalt, CTFS 🔻 WE, TD Cash VISA 🇺🇸, the rest for BT's, churning and MS plus a bunch of prepaids
International 🏦 in 🇩🇪🇲🇹🇵🇹🇨🇭🇬🇧🇺🇸 and I have Netflix in 🇹🇷
💻Linux 📱Motorola
Come join me on invitation.codes
Dec 7, 2013
13 posts
1 upvote
Vaughan
Jit0103 wrote: As mentioned in details Sep 2020
Why would it be Sep 2020 if the account was opened last year? Shouldn't it be Sep 2019? I did the same and planning to close on Sep 30, 2019
[OP]
Oct 12, 2018
83 posts
59 upvotes
atienzo1016 wrote: Why would it be Sep 2020 if the account was opened last year? Shouldn't it be Sep 2019? I did the same and planning to close on Sep 30, 2019
Ya that was mistake, he was asking for previous years offer. Updated now.
RFD is kind of hole in the wallet, which I don't wanna block 😉
Jan 4, 2014
267 posts
280 upvotes
Paris
titaniumtux wrote: Horrible deal. Hit up TD CT and Meridian this summer if you haven't already and are eligible.
Why are those to better? Do they also offer the iPAD "deal"? Or the saving on fees worth it over the long run (time period)?
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10523 posts
1756 upvotes
Toronto
They need to have one of these dealers for customers that have been with them for 20+ years...
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10523 posts
1756 upvotes
Toronto
Thadealhunter wrote: I got this deal last year . Just noticed my rates raised by $1/month, last month. Didn't realize they would do that :(
Rbc is always raising rates.
Jan 4, 2014
267 posts
280 upvotes
Paris
"Two pre-authorized monthly payments (PAPs)
Two bill payments to a service provider"
Can anyone explain the difference between those two?
Pre-authorize by payment on a set date to any company? Example - phone service provider? Or a utility company? Will the Bank charge a fee for that pre-authorize payment?
Service provider? Example? Or they mean a company like you paying your phone service provider?
Aug 22, 2009
321 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
Apparently the date to close last years iPad promotion from iPhone in Canada they state the following
According to the conditions and terms of this offer, “Your Eligible Personal Banking Account must remain open and in good standing, and the Qualifying Criteria you performed to get the Reward (such as payroll/pension deposit or pre-authorized payment) must remain in effect until September 27 2019.”
Since my spouse is now employed with DND, time for me to cancel this out ASAP and switch to BMO for essentially the same plan as RBC but free.

Thanks for the free iPad RBC, it’s been a good run.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13110 posts
10226 upvotes
Leask
IslandTourGuide wrote: Why are those to better? Do they also offer the iPAD "deal"? Or the saving on fees worth it over the long run (time period)?
  1. RBC has a longer life cycle than Meridian and TD CT - RBC 12-15 months, Meridian 6 months, TD CT 2-4 months
  2. RBC no option for fee waiver UNLESS you manage to get CC AND mortgage or investment account with $500+ funding. While RBC's multi-product offering isn't all bad (some have successfully parked $500 in TFSA to call it a day, but huge YMMV), it complicates the steps for churning
  3. Meridian and TD are $300 cash bonus. RBC seems to alternate between $300 cash and iPad. The iPad probably has a resale value of <$300, so only good if you were going to buy that iPad anyway, and I'm assuming no way to get extended warranty (which also compromises the true cash value of the reward)

That's the bulk of it. Chq account promo requirements are generally the same for B&M FI's.
💳 AmEx Cobalt, CTFS 🔻 WE, TD Cash VISA 🇺🇸, the rest for BT's, churning and MS plus a bunch of prepaids
International 🏦 in 🇩🇪🇲🇹🇵🇹🇨🇭🇬🇧🇺🇸 and I have Netflix in 🇹🇷
💻Linux 📱Motorola
Come join me on invitation.codes
Dec 16, 2010
725 posts
564 upvotes
Canada
ottawa_guy wrote: Apparently the date to close last years iPad promotion from iPhone in Canada they state the following

Since my spouse is now employed with DND, time for me to cancel this out ASAP and switch to BMO for essentially the same plan as RBC but free.

Thanks for the free iPad RBC, it’s been a good run.
Why BMO? They offer no fees for government employees?

Thanks
Aug 22, 2009
321 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
PannTher wrote: Why BMO? They offer no fees for government employees?

Thanks
BMO offers free banking for members and extended family of the military. If you have a CFOne card, you’re eligible. Not for all government departments.

Per the BMO website
BMO CDCB Program benefits are exclusive to all members of Canada’s defence community and their families:

Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members (Regular and Reserve ) and their families
Veterans and their families, including families of the deceased
Members of foreign military currently serving with the CAF and their families
Current and former Staff of the Non-Public Funds, Canadian Forces and their families
Current staff of Military Family Resource Centres and their families
Current and former Department of National Defence public servants and their families
Serving and former Royal Canadian Mounted Police and their families
Current and former Canadian Coast Guard members and their families
Current staff of Defence Research and Development Canada and their families
Current staff of Defence Construction Canada and their families
Current staff of Communications Security Establishment and their families
Honourary Colonels/Captains(, Lieutenant Colonels/Commanders and their families
Dec 16, 2010
725 posts
564 upvotes
Canada
ottawa_guy wrote: BMO offers free banking for members and extended family of the military. If you have a CFOne card, you’re eligible. Not for all government departments.

Per the BMO website
Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1813 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
I did this last year....will cancel account in Sept. 2019

13 month x $15/mo = $195
Not a bad deal in my books.

And no sales taxes.
Nov 5, 2012
485 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
How long does it take before you receive the Ipad in the mail?