Expired Hot Deals

Maple Leaf

Royal Canadian Mint - FREE SHIPPING Promo Code for Maple Leaf Forever Coin

[OP]
Jan 24, 2012
9 posts
12 upvotes
Grise Fiord, Nunavut…

[Maple Leaf] Royal Canadian Mint - FREE SHIPPING Promo Code for Maple Leaf Forever Coin

More offers from Maple Leaf
Free Shipping during the next 3 days when you order three or more coins and enter Promo Code: "GazetteMLF"

Item Name: Maple Leaf Forever - Fine Silver $10 Coin (2012)
Item Number: 17243
Price: $34.95 (no GST/HST)

Mintage: 100000
Composition: Fine Silver (99.99% pure)
Finish: Specimen
Weight: (g) 15.87
Diameter: (mm) 34
Edge: Serrated
Certificate: Serialized
Face Value: 10 Dollars
Artist: Luc Normandin (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)

Link: http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/maple-lea ... rod1300005
11 replies
Apr 4, 2006
395 posts
128 upvotes
yessireee wrote: Free Shipping if you place an order April 19-21, 2012 and enter Promo Code: "GazetteMLF"

Item Name: Maple Leaf Forever - Fine Silver $10 Coin (2012)
Item Number: 17243
Price: $34.95 (no GST/HST)

Mintage: 100000
Composition: Fine Silver (99.99% pure)
Finish: Specimen
Weight: (g) 15.87
Diameter: (mm) 34
Edge: Serrated
Certificate: Serialized
Face Value: 10 Dollars
Artist: Luc Normandin (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)

Link: http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/maple-lea ... rod1300005

Only wanted one... having to buy three just to save $8 shipping.... at least it applies to your whole order unlike the last couple free shipping offers.

Thanked.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9844 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
Does it suck cuz it's half an oz?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
1642 posts
236 upvotes
Quebec
What's the joke ?

Silver at twice the price ? This is worth 18$ at 32$/oz

Face value of 10$ ... I mean, WTF is the deal ?
Dec 13, 2004
654 posts
172 upvotes
transisto wrote: What's the joke ?

Silver at twice the price ? This is worth 18$ at 32$/oz

Face value of 10$ ... I mean, WTF is the deal ?
I'm sorry, but I'm tired of people complaining of the value of silver compared to silver coins. Some people collect coins as a hobby, and not always as an investment.

Back on topic, the code does not work if you don't have 3 Maple Leaf Forever coins in your cart. I tried by only having 1 Maple Leaf coin and 2 others, and there was a shipping charge.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2660 posts
1133 upvotes
Calgary
RCM must really want to clear these out. That is a cold deal to have to make you buy three to save on shipping.
Sep 30, 2001
29357 posts
8767 upvotes
Toronto
d_chow wrote: I'm sorry, but I'm tired of people complaining of the value of silver compared to silver coins. Some people collect coins as a hobby, and not always as an investment.
i normally agree with this sentiment (and thanked your post and the op as well), but even i think this is terrible value. 1/2oz of silver for almost the same price as a 1oz silver maple leaf? doesn't make any sense. even as a collectible it's not very good value given the high mintage.
Dec 18, 2008
982 posts
93 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: i normally agree with this sentiment (and thanked your post as well), but even i think this is terrible value. 1/2oz of silver for almost the same price as a 1oz silver maple leaf? doesn't make any sense. even as a collectible it's not very good value given the high mintage.

So what coins on the mint's site do you think have better value? $30 cupronickels? At $70 per oz of silver this is one of the better valued coins on the mint's site. The only that is better is the Year of the Dragon 1/2 oz silver coin and some of the high cost gold coins perhaps. If you complain about the value of this coin, then you need to complain about the value of almost every single coin from the mint. Why are you shopping there?
Sep 30, 2001
29357 posts
8767 upvotes
Toronto
hobbes778 wrote: Why are you shopping there?
So let me state I'm a huge supporter of the Mint. Been so for quite some time. I simply don't think this particular issue is worth it. As an investment the numbers are pretty clear - 1/2oz of silver vs 1oz. As a collectible it's equally disappointing with a pedestrian design (the current Moose bullion coin is more interesting imo) but worse still is the 100,000 mintage level. Had this been around 20,000 I would be more enthusiastic but this all but guarantees it won't go up as quickly as other issues.

I think the base metal coins have proven to be better value with a more unique design, and as some issues have shown (birds, dinosaurs and possibly even the Titanic) they very quickly shoot up in value. We can scoff at their plebian metal content but the price listings on eBay and coin dealer websites do not lie. I think first time buyers should skip this release and wait for the Fall issues instead (i.e. the second glow-in-the-dark Dino coin).

As for your comment about complaining about the price of other coins, yes if we just look at the silver content and compare against bullion you have a point. The key difference however is that the other coins are often:
-unique: embedded crystals, diamonds, rare metals, or a world first technology
-far lower mintage levels: anywhere from 250 to 25,000 ensures the value in the coin is maintained
-of a broader theme and thus interest. Hockey fan? pickup the Gretzky coin. Love art? Get a Group of 7 issue.

It's for those reasons I wouldn't complain about the cost and why I normally bristle at comments which dump on Mint collectibles. I don't think that is the case here.
Dec 18, 2008
982 posts
93 upvotes
I agree it is probably not the best investment I just took issue with valuing it based on silver content when it's cost per silver content is relatively good for a mint product. If you just said it has a high mintage and boring design then I couldn't argue.

That said at $35 it is a relatively cheap rcm silver coin and significantly bigger than the $20 for $20 coins. It does look better in person with it's specimen finish has good contrast compared to bullion coins.