Pets

Royal Canin Senior Consult Veterinary food alternative or better price?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 11:19 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2006
266 posts
90 upvotes
Montreal

Royal Canin Senior Consult Veterinary food alternative or better price?

Hello everyone,

like many of us here, I want the best for my cat. As soon as my vet told me I needed to buy Royal Canin Senior Consult Veterinary food, I did it because I rely on experts' recommendations. Lately I thought the fact that I can only buy this specific food at veterinaries is a fishy thing... I never settled at one specific store for my food unless I felt the price was competitive. I feel like they might be recommending the best food for my cat but I wish I could shop around and buy where the price is the most competitive.

So here I am.. I would like to know what you guys did regarding this specific scenario. Is there a company that sell this food at better prices? Or is there a company that offer direct competitors to the "veterinary food" ?
3 replies
Mar 14, 2013
391 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
Take what the vets say with a grain of salt. Yes, vet recommended brands have backing to them but they are also paid to recommend that brand as well. They also see tons of animals and figure out what brands of foods are working for the pets that they see and they can see trends with a certain brand doing well with those pets vs another brand. Of course it's all dependent on that vets opinion.

In terms of your specific issue, you can try going to a different vet for a secondary opinion and seeing what they say as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Royal Canin (as well as other brands probably) have a line of food sold exclusively through vets (and looks like another line exclusively to/through breeders). Have no idea if the retail line is the same (other than in form and packaging) as the vet line. Didn't feed our cats Royal Canin beyond the starter pack that the breeder gave us. I wanted to get Ragdoll food, as they're both ragdolls but the carbohydrate content in RC cat food is really high. They got Orijen instead.

From what I see, the food recommended has glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate in it. Whether this is beneficial to cats (or humans FWIW) to treat arthritis and joint problems, I don't know. Those ingredients are not found in the retail line. If your cat eats wet food, I'd just add in the powdered supplements.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
btwitsmatt wrote: They also see tons of animals and figure out what brands of foods are working for the pets that they see and they can see trends with a certain brand doing well with those pets vs another brand. Of course it's all dependent on that vets opinion.
Exclusively-at-vets retailing probably helps in their recommendation. The vet clinic my cats go to sells various Hill's pet food, which also has an exclusive-at-vets Prescription Diet line.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.