Expired Hot Deals

[royal caribbean] Royal Caribbean 60% off second guest and kids sail free + other comps

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 3:55 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11910 posts
5989 upvotes
Southern Ontario
We drive to Buffalo and take Southwest to Florida, it was always a lot cheaper than Pearson and way faster as there is no customs (done at the border), just the flight security check. There's week+ long parking at the airport no different than park'n'fly services at YYZ, and when we get back we can use up our $800/person custom allowances shopping in the US before driving back, usually groceries and alcohol at least.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3451 posts
993 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:58 am
We drive to Buffalo and take Southwest to Florida, it was always a lot cheaper than Pearson and way faster as there is no customs (done at the border), just the flight security check. There's week+ long parking at the airport no different than park'n'fly services at YYZ, and when we get back we can use up our $800/person custom allowances shopping in the US before driving back, usually groceries and alcohol at least.
How much do you typically save vs flying out of YYZ?

I have three kids and the younger twins are about to turn 2 so vacations just got more expensive lol
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11910 posts
5989 upvotes
Southern Ontario
rinse wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:11 am
How much do you typically save vs flying out of YYZ?

I have three kids and the younger twins are about to turn 2 so vacations just got more expensive lol
Our last 2 cruises were on the Anthem out of NJ and we drove, so it's been a while. 3y ago we did DCL and it was $900 less for the time period. Note SW only has adult fares and it was still less than anything I could find out of YYZ. We've flown SW before that and the savings were always great. BUF to FLL for Miami, and BUF to MCO for Port Canaveral, no midstops, flexible on arrival and return. SW baggage limits are generous. Ya when they turn 2, it's a kicker lol

For anyone else from wherever, I strongly recommend flying in the day before and getting a room, rent an SUV, go shopping for cruise items, have dinner, have a relaxing evening. You'll be well rested the morning you get on the ship. Stay at a cruise friendly hotel that offers free big breakfast. All the big car rental places have drop off locations in Cape, and free shuttle to Port Canaveral. You can plan and arrange everything from home in advance. This is also an awesome place in Orlando to eat lunch on the cheap, it's highly rated everywhere, like #21/3425 on tripadvisor http://www.hotkrust.com/
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3433 posts
1200 upvotes
Serious question: what is there to do on a cruise? My Mom keeps on signaling that she'd love to take a family cruise for her 65th, but I've never had interest in doing one.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3451 posts
993 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 12:05 pm
Serious question: what is there to do on a cruise? My Mom keeps on signaling that she'd love to take a family cruise for her 65th, but I've never had interest in doing one.
Depends on the ship. If you go on an Oasis-class RCI ship, there’s no shortage of things no matter what you’re interested in.

Also - I second flying in a day early to your port city. We’ve never not done this for all our cruises
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11910 posts
5989 upvotes
Southern Ontario
unshavenyak wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 12:05 pm
Sorry, I've rehashed our video too many times (shot on iPhone7+). If you're not a beach person, explore the culture at the stops.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1422
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3433 posts
1200 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 12:25 pm
Sorry, I've rehashed our video too many times (shot on iPhone7+). If you're not a beach person, explore the culture at the stops.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1422
Thanks for the links and video. My wife and I are really not cruise or AI resort people, so this is really informative. I think I will try to shoot for a smaller ship in hopes that when it makes port the town is not swamped by people.
Last edited by unshavenyak on Feb 10th, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11910 posts
5989 upvotes
Southern Ontario
unshavenyak wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 2:04 pm
Thanks for the links and video. My wife and I are really not cruise or AI resort people, so this is really informative. I think I will try to shoot for a smaller ship in hopes that when it makes port the town is not swamped by people.
Port cities host several cruise ships daily, it's unavoidable. When researching, avoid where the "cruise herds" normally visit. In Nassau, our 2 families went on a bit longer taxi ride and spent the day at Love Beach. We had a great lunch at the beachside restaurant, kids played in the sand/ocean and snorkelled off the reef, only a dozen cruisers there besides us.

Definitely go beyond the port's immediate stores and market, it's all the same junk.

There are however pros and cons to big vs small ships.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1646