Royal Lube Mississauga - poor experience

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2017 1:17 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
7197 posts
2000 upvotes

Royal Lube Mississauga - poor experience

I've been an advocate for this shop in the past royal-lube-mississauga-syn-oil-ch-49-em ... #p24953037

Quick summary
Had an oil change Dec 27th 2016
Noticed recently (last week) oil leaks on driveway - I hadn't noticed before because of the winter weather , you get a lot of water / salt /snow etc which makes stains hard to see

Took car to a reputable garage and they fixed it for $40 - they said a gasket was missing on the oil plug - likely caused at last oil change

I went to RL and spoke to the manager about them paying me back the $40

He questioned me - Why didn't i go to him first? - I said I had an oil leak , how do I know its from the change - I take it to my mechanic , and leave the car with him to fix
He said how do I know that the garage wasn't ripping me off?...I said which garage is going to do a fix for $40 to rip someone off?
He asked why i hadn't noticed earlier? - I said its winter there's a lot of grime on the floor , you don't always notice straight away

He flat out refused to pay , I said I was a big advocate of his shop even posting on here on RFD my positive experience , told him i'd let readers know about his terrible attitude too
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3260 posts
909 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Also might recommend voicing your opinions on yelp. It does wonders.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
$40 for a gasket? That's a rip off.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
carmaster wrote: $40 for a gasket? That's a rip off.
It's an oil drain plug. In taking the plug off to put on the gasket they lose all the oil so in effect they would have had to do an oil change as part of putting that gasket on. Price reasonable.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote: It's an oil drain plug. In taking the plug off to put on the gasket they lose all the oil so in effect they would have had to do an oil change as part of putting that gasket on. Price reasonable.
I see.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7847 posts
9210 upvotes
Vancouver
I can understand why Royal Lube refused to pay.

You didn't let them know or give them a chance to resolve the problem. Not even a photo of the problem. You went straight to another garage.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
7197 posts
2000 upvotes
Spinner wrote: I can understand why Royal Lube refused to pay.

You didn't let them know or give them a chance to resolve the problem. Not even a photo of the problem. You went straight to another garage.
If you have an oil leak , you don't assume that the lube shop made a mistake, besides who has time to run around...? I took it to a trusted shop, was quite relieved it was only $40 and not 3 to 400. The invoice from my garage clearly states the work done - its hardy likely they will lie over a $40 bill, if thats the case and we accept that the work done was actually done, then RL are responsible and should have paid
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Spinner wrote: I can understand why Royal Lube refused to pay.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
I wouldn't pay either as a retailer.

If given the chance they could have fixed the problem but OP decided to fix it under his own dime.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
You both have valid points. You never knew the oil leak was caused by that shop and he doesn't know if you're fleecing him. Regarding the 40$, I'm assuming that included fresh oil and filter? You can't charge him for those. So at most, he owes you the top up of oil lost and the washer. If you own the driveway, you could possibly have a case for negligence regarding the oil staining.
rb wrote: If you have an oil leak , you don't assume that the lube shop made a mistake, besides who has time to run around...? I took it to a trusted shop, was quite relieved it was only $40 and not 3 to 400. The invoice from my garage clearly states the work done - its hardy likely they will lie over a $40 bill, if thats the case and we accept that the work done was actually done, then RL are responsible and should have paid

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)