Personal Finance

RRSP exempt from US stock dividends withholding tax?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2015 3:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes

RRSP exempt from US stock dividends withholding tax?

Just want to confirm this:

http://business.financialpost.com/perso ... u-s-stocks

Due to some tax treaties between Canada and the U.S., the IRS does NOT take this withholding tax from a registered account (RRSP, RRIF, LIRA, etc.), but DOES take the withholding tax from a TFSA. As an aside, U.S. dividends do have tax withheld in an RESP account.
9 replies
May 22, 2004
695 posts
395 upvotes
Montreal
Correct, AFAIK, there is no US withholding tax on dividends in retirement accounts, but TFSA is not recognized as such. Don't know about RESP.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2001
1733 posts
567 upvotes
GMA
orakle22 wrote: Correct, AFAIK, there is no US withholding tax on dividends in retirement accounts, but TFSA is not recognized as such. Don't know about RESP.
The only recognized exception is RRSP. Withholding will apply on all other account types.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2012
1423 posts
496 upvotes
Toronto
Also keep in mind only US$ securities are exempt. If you hold a Canadian fund with US securities, the fund will pay the tax.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3402 posts
3751 upvotes
Montreal
joey1234 wrote: Also keep in mind only US$ securities are exempt. If you hold a Canadian fund with US securities, the fund will pay the tax.
Excellent point. But it may be worth it to pay this dividend tax in order to avoid being subject to US estate taxes (yes, RRSPs can trigger US estate taxes, and even if no taxes are owed, it will cost money to properly file a US income tax return. This probably used to be ignored by many people, but with FATCA I think that lots of people will need to start taking this into account.)
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can someone explain what this "means" ? Say if I buy Apple stocks with my RRSP funds vs. TFSA funds, what happens with the dividends ?
Aug 16, 2010
545 posts
125 upvotes
Thornhill
foodyforlife wrote: Can someone explain what this "means" ? Say if I buy Apple stocks with my RRSP funds vs. TFSA funds, what happens with the dividends ?
I'll add a 3rd scenario where you purchase AAPL stock in a non registered account.

1. RRSP - AAPL pays a dividend of $100; you receive the entire $100
2. TFSA - AAPL pays a dividend of $100; a withholding tax of 15% applied; you only receive $85
3. Unregistered - AAPL pays a dividend of $100; a withholding tax of 15% applied; you only receive $85 but you receive a foreign tax credit for the $15 paid
Apr 2, 2015
232 posts
93 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Above is accurate if you have filled in IRS forms and they are on record with your broker or financial institution. The W8 is actually part of the account application for some brokers so not a problem.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-W-8BEN,-Cer ... ithholding

Unless protected by a tax treaty like we have with Canada-US for 15% the standard US foreign withholding can be as high as 30%. Fill the form and you're fine, and RRSP is protected from withholding as it is reciprocally recognized in the tax treaty as we would treat IRAs for Americans.

Also ask your institution about holding US listed ADRs (depositary receipts) of foreign corporations listed on American exchanges as withholding taxes can be different in some cases. I owned Total (Elftotalfina Oil now just TOT France) Repsol Spain and a few others way back had to file to get back some withheld divs.

Disappointing the treaty has not been updated to cover TFSA - we recognize their Roth IRA, and for some time too, which is the same trust structure and has a similar investment intent. As for RESP what a shame, if we threatened to disallow any disbursement to beneficiaries going to US colleges it would probably be in as well.

Can't blame the US for taking their cut, they're flat broke :P
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2011
1506 posts
2344 upvotes
Beware that most ADRs held in RRSPs will have withholding tax on dividends. Companies like Syngenta, Vale, Accenture, China Mobile etc... trade in the US but are foreign based so the US-Canada treaty does not apply. However, ADRs like Vodafone, British Telecom, GSK, HSBC, Smith Nephew etc... are UK companies and UK does not levy tax on dividends, so these can be held in any account with no withholding tax implications. The key is the treaty between Canada and the country the company is based in, and every country can have its quirks. For example, if you buy Sanofi, a French company, you pay a tax when you buy.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3087 posts
1523 upvotes
Whitehorse
stanimal wrote: I'll add a 3rd scenario where you purchase AAPL stock in a non registered account.

1. RRSP - AAPL pays a dividend of $100; you receive the entire $100
2. TFSA - AAPL pays a dividend of $100; a withholding tax of 15% applied; you only receive $85
3. Unregistered - AAPL pays a dividend of $100; a withholding tax of 15% applied; you only receive $85 but you receive a foreign tax credit for the $15 paid
You *may* receive a foreign tax credit. It is a complicated formula.