• Jan 20th, 2020 11:49 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2105 posts
769 upvotes

RRSP term nearing: withdrawing RRSP

I have an RRSP with RBC that was opened in Feb 2015. 5 yr term, locked in. It was just a measly $500 and I honestly don't remember why I did open up that RRSP.

I remember RBC telling me there's a $50 fee or something for transferring it to another financial institution RRSP.

In that case, I am just going to get it withdrawn as cash. Other than the taxes, anyone know if RBC would charge a fee for withdrawing? I can't seem to find that info on their website.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6680 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
Seks wrote: I have an RRSP with RBC that was opened in Feb 2015. 5 yr term, locked in. It was just a measly $500 and I honestly don't remember why I did open up that RRSP.

I remember RBC telling me there's a $50 fee or something for transferring it to another financial institution RRSP.

In that case, I am just going to get it withdrawn as cash. Other than the taxes, anyone know if RBC would charge a fee for withdrawing? I can't seem to find that info on their website.
RBC will just take the withholding tax and will send you an T4RSP next year.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1743 posts
1270 upvotes
Seks wrote: I have an RRSP with RBC that was opened in Feb 2015. 5 yr term, locked in. It was just a measly $500 and I honestly don't remember why I did open up that RRSP.

cgtlky wrote: RBC will just take the withholding tax and will send you an T4RSP next year.
I know it is too trivial.
Just extend the term deposit (or deposit into rsp saving account) till end of the year with RBC and then withdraw(close) all on/before 31 December
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8446 posts
1495 upvotes
Most banks charge a $50 withdrawal fee.

Sounds like you probably just met with some salesperson at the bank in 2015 and they got you to do the pointlessly small RRSP contribution just to get a sale. This happens all the time at every major bank.
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2105 posts
769 upvotes
Thalo wrote: Most banks charge a $50 withdrawal fee.
u mean transferring to a diff financial institution rrsp plan?

or u mean withdrawing into cash?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32921 posts
6519 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Seks wrote: u mean transferring to a diff financial institution rrsp plan?

or u mean withdrawing into cash?
Transferring and withdrawing is the same thing to the bank. The money is leaving their institution.

There is a 20% withholding tax. So you lose 100$, plus the 50$ fee. Your 500$ just became 350$

Any reason why you want to do this?
Mar 23, 2004
42078 posts
8145 upvotes
Markham
Your best bet is to transfer the money to your bank and make your bank pay the transfer fee. Of course that only works if you have a lot of money with them/transfer a huge sum. Good luck.
May 17, 2010
254 posts
134 upvotes
Gee wrote: Transferring and withdrawing is the same thing to the bank. The money is leaving their institution.

There is a 20% withholding tax. So you lose 100$, plus the 50$ fee. Your 500$ just became 350$

No. Withdrawals are free, transfer out is not.
Tax withheld for anything under 5k is 10%, not 20%.

OP, is it possible your RSP was opened for the multi product rebate?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
777 upvotes
centre of universe
Gee wrote: Transferring and withdrawing is the same thing to the bank. The money is leaving their institution.

bunget wrote: No. Withdrawals are free, transfer out is not.

This
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8446 posts
1495 upvotes

Not always the case. At TD, for example, withdrawals from a GIC/cash RRSP are charged $50 regardless (unless the rep waives the fee).

Mutual fund RRSPs with the banks generally do not charge a withdrawal fee, as they're making enough profit via MERs anyway.
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4617 posts
3153 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver

Don't be so sure. Scotiabank also charges $50 withdraw fee. I think only CIBC and BMO does not charge this fee for the major institutions.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
846 upvotes
You will pay a fee to do a one time withdrawal..especially if you are closing the account..$50 in most cases..and don"t forget the HST! so $56.50 and 10% WHT tax which is calculated net of the fee and HST
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
846 upvotes

wrong....RIF auto withdrawals are free...most institutions charge for any other one time registered plan withdrawals ....not so much for TFSA/non-registered
May 17, 2010
254 posts
134 upvotes
Thalo wrote: Not always the case. At TD, for example, withdrawals from a GIC/cash RRSP are charged $50 regardless (unless the rep waives the fee).
bomber17 wrote: Don't be so sure. Scotiabank also charges $50 withdraw fee. I think only CIBC and BMO does not charge this fee for the major institutions.
OP is at RBC, not TD or Scotia.
Fjr2005 wrote: You will pay a fee to do a one time withdrawal..especially if you are closing the account..$50 in most cases..and don"t forget the HST! so $56.50 and 10% WHT tax which is calculated net of the fee and HST
I have done my fare share of withdrawals from RSP, there was never a withdrawal fee.

Now to be fair this was in 2012-2014, but usually there is at least one free withdrawal per year.

Also there is a withdrawal fee at Dominion Securities of $25, and at Direct Investing of $50, but not at Royal Bank.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2105 posts
769 upvotes
imoo2u wrote: I know it is too trivial.
Just extend the term deposit (or deposit into rsp saving account) till end of the year with RBC and then withdraw(close) all on/before 31 December
What is the advantage of doing what you stated?

rbc.jpg