Tags:
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
625 posts
122 upvotes
Windsor

RT AC 68U

Hi all
I just upgraded my internet from 40/10 to 500/500 but for some reason I am only getting 50 to 60 mbps on wireless even when I just stand right besides the Router. When I connect to ISP router, Bell 3000 Hub I do get over 300 mbps but problem is my ISP's Router sucks in terms of range so I have to use my AC68U. Does that means I have to upgrade my Asus router to the newer one?
I even tried Asus stock FM with no restrictions or anything and QoS etc but still the same
But my wired connection is fine it is just the Wireless connection where the speed sucks. Any suggestions?
I am willing to upgrade to new Router if AC 68U cant handle this speed.
Edit: I tested speeds on my IPhone 7 and and after switching from AC68U to Bell 3000 the difference is huge on the same phone standing at the same location
TIA
13 replies
Sep 13, 2011
973 posts
631 upvotes
Québec
You result are in the 2.4 GHz ?
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
625 posts
122 upvotes
Windsor
yes, on both Routers
Sep 13, 2011
973 posts
631 upvotes
Québec
w11x22 wrote: yes, on both Routers
Try to configure the AC68U in 2.4 GHz 802.11n mode only instead of mixed mode,make sure AES encryption is selected. Also test it with the 5GHz speed and post your result.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17090 posts
3351 upvotes
Toronto
The Bell modem/router is not in bridge mode, the 68u's internet port is connected to a lan port on the modem, the 68u's Internet connection is set up for DHCP, you're using 5 Ghz band to test, and no VPN is running on your phone. Correct?
Last edited by audit13 on May 18th, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
625 posts
122 upvotes
Windsor
audit13 wrote: The Bell modem/router is not in bridge mode, the 68u's internet port is connected to a lan port on the modem, the 68u's Internet connection is set up for DHCP, you're using 5 Ghz band to test, and no VPN is running on your phone. COrrect?
Correct, except I am testing on 2.5 GHz.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17090 posts
3351 upvotes
Toronto
w11x22 wrote: Correct, except I am testing on 2.5 GHz.
Test on 5 GHz.

What app or site are you using to test speed?
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
625 posts
122 upvotes
Windsor
elgros4 wrote: Try to configure the AC68U in 2.4 GHz 802.11n mode only instead of mixed mode,make sure AES encryption is selected. Also test it with the 5GHz speed and post your result.
Tried both options as you suggested and it still the same. But on 5Ghz I get over 200 mbps. But I dont get good coverage on 5 Ghz on my upper floor
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
625 posts
122 upvotes
Windsor
audit13 wrote: Test on 5 GHz.

What app or site are you using to test speed?
I get over 200 mbps on 5 Ghz but then the covergae sucks and I dont get a good signal on upper floor. The app I am using is "open Signal" it is a very good app and also you can find the wiress towers in your area with this app.
I am sure there is nothing wrong with this app as I use the same app when test speed on Bell 3000 hub and it gives me good results.
Sep 13, 2011
973 posts
631 upvotes
Québec
w11x22 wrote: I get over 200 mbps on 5 Ghz but then the covergae sucks and I dont get a good signal on upper floor. The app I am using is "open Signal" it is a very good app and also you can find the wiress towers in your area with this app.
I am sure there is nothing wrong with this app as I use the same app when test speed on Bell 3000 hub and it gives me good results.
I just thought of something, may one of your router has a 40 MHz channel on 2.4 GHz and the other one a single 20 MHz channel ?
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
625 posts
122 upvotes
Windsor
elgros4 wrote: I just thought of something, may one of your router has a 40 MHz channel on 2.4 GHz and the other one a single 20 MHz channel ?
My 2.4 is on 20 Mhz and 5 is on 20/40/80.
Sep 13, 2011
973 posts
631 upvotes
Québec
w11x22 wrote: My 2.4 is on 20 Mhz and 5 is on 20/40/80.
Both routers used 20 MHz on 2.4 ? It may be called channel bonding or channel + in some routers.

Close to your Asus router you should be able to have at least 100MBs on a 20MHz channel and 200MBs. on 40MHz ( in the 2.4GHz band)

If not, make sure you have the latest firmware and post some screenshot of your config. Depending on the facts, you could need to replace it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2169 posts
1055 upvotes
Saint John
This sounds pretty normal. 5GHz doesn't penetrate through walls nearly as well as 2.4GHz. If you've got a few walls between your upper floor devices and the router, you will likely get better performance using 2.4GHz.

OTOH, standing beside the router, or even one floor above (if you're reasonably close) you'll get better speeds using 5GHz. In the same room as my AC68U I get ~500/300. Using 2.4GHz I get 74/100. I have the gigabit Fibe package BTW (which gives a solid 940/940 when wired via ethernet to a PC with a good NIC), and I'm using the Speedtest.net app on a Google Pixel 3a.

I actually have three routers on hand and did a bit of quick testing. My Bell router (not the HH3000 but an older model that connects to a discrete fibre modem) gives very similar performance to the Asus, as does my TPLink Archer C7 v2. There were minor differences, but all three routers performed within 20-30 mbit of each other while in the same room using 5GHz.

OP, if you want I could do some more tests and put together a table showing the relative performance of these three routers using both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, along with their performance in the same room and at different points on the same floor and one floor above. I'm confident everything is set up correctly -- the Bell device is doing the routing, while both the AC68U and the Archer C7 are set up as access points. This might give you a sense of the performance you should expect.

My theory is that despite all the marketing that manufacturers throw at us (showing highly theoretical speeds using multiple antennas), most routers/APs will perform quite similarly to each other when connected to a single, typical device like a smartphone or laptop. From what I've gathered in my own research, there is a hard upper limit to how well a router can perform in this scenario since radio power output is restricted by law.

Anyways, I've got lots of time on my hands thanks to Coronavirus-related unemployment. Just let me know if anyone is interested in seeing the results of such a test written up! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2169 posts
1055 upvotes
Saint John
I put together an outline of the test I'm planning to perform. Hopefully someone will find it useful.