• Jul 3rd, 2020 4:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9978 posts
4257 upvotes
Vaughan

RT-AC66U B1 router - login

Just install ASUS RT-AC66U B1 as my main router. It is working fine; I just have problem with login.
First the instruction ask me to go http://router.asus.com, I went there no problem. Using default logon id and password.
The screen asks me to choose new name and password; I did that. I went into my router fine.
I logged out, I logged in using my new login id and password; it did not allow me too; even I used the default logon id and password. Nothing is working.
I even hard reseted twice, same problem exists.

Any idea why, please advise. TIA.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24364 posts
31282 upvotes
Hmmm, I have this router and made it work after a few kicks at the can.

It's possible the username stays default and the password is what changes.

I was engaging a guess-and-test approach.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9978 posts
4257 upvotes
Vaughan
jackrabbit000 wrote: Did you try this yet by using a computer connected to a ethernet cable after a hard reset?

admin
admin
Yep, always do this with ethernet cable connected to 2 desktops.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9978 posts
4257 upvotes
Vaughan
jackrabbit000 wrote: Really odd that the reset button didn’t reset the router back to factory. Should have erased everything back to as new condition.
That is not what I meant. Reset worked. The problem is the login id&password. I changed, but when I login again, it wouldn’t work (new or defaulted id/password).
Aug 27, 2004
758 posts
193 upvotes
Cyberspace
teoconca wrote: That is not what I meant. Reset worked. The problem is the login id&password. I changed, but when I login again, it wouldn’t work (new or defaulted id/password).
Do you have the internet cable connected or disconnected during?
I have the same router and had no problem but I've run into issues with other routers when I try to pull a quick one by having the ethernet connected to the WAN port
Aspiring Old Guy
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18627 posts
6032 upvotes
London
Try a different browser
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9978 posts
4257 upvotes
Vaughan
l69norm wrote: Try a different browser
Normally I use FF. This time I used FF & Chrome with 2 desktops. I ended up installed the app on my iPad.
Oct 14, 2006
217 posts
110 upvotes
Richmond
Might be a bug in the stock firmware? Since you can login at least once, either update it or move to the modded firmware that fixes a lot of issues. Then reset to defaults and see if it behaves normally.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9978 posts
4257 upvotes
Vaughan
Update:

I missed 1 step, reboot, to take changes. Duhhhhhhhhh
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37850 posts
23953 upvotes
Center of Universe
teoconca wrote: Update:

I missed 1 step, reboot, to take changes. Duhhhhhhhhh
I don't recall having to reboot the router, as it simply logs me off, requiring to log back in.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1664 posts
281 upvotes
I had troubles with my ac68u. It was really slow through the LAN outputs. To fix it I had to perform an NVRAM reset. This is putting the router in recovery mode and reflashing the firmware. It is not the same as just upgrading the firmware.
I read through other forums and to do this properly it should be performed twice as some settings tend to "stick". Reset the settings, perform the recovery firmware flash, reset again and then perform the recovery again. I just got 1Gb internet and it was only pumping 250k through the LAN ports. After the flash I got up to 1Gb. Incidentally I turned on AI protection and it slowed it down to about 600 and then after turning it off it went up to about 800. I've got an 86U on order which has a much faster processor and I'll flash this thing again and turn off all the features.