• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 1:43 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2006
619 posts
500 upvotes
Ottawa

Rubber Hose Recommendation

Hi everyone. Stupid question....does anyone have a recommendation for a good rubber hose? It seems that a lot of the hoses these days are stiff and not very pliable. I bought a Flexon hose at Costco late last year, and it is terrible. Constantly getting twisted, heavy and very stiff. The water pressure is terrible too. I just want an old-school rubber hose. Sorry for the frivolous question. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by marksmithy69 on May 31st, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Mar 14, 2008
555 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up the following from Princess Auto which you may be interested in:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/5-8-in- ... 0005710056
- purchased this year when it was on sale for $34.99.
- Can't really speak to the durability as I haven't used it for a full season, but it has held up well so far

https://www.princessauto.com/en/hybrid- ... Id=8642894
- Hybrid polymer similar to Flexzilla
- purchased the 75ft version two years ago for approx $54
- Has held up well over the past two years

For both of the hoses listed above, if they are coiled properly then they don't kink. Additionally, if they end up failing, Princess Auto has a favourable return policy.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1787 posts
98 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: I just picked up the Flexzilla from HD. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/flexzi ... 1001098702

Works ok and is super light. Might take some time for the curvature to work itself out, but seems to be ok for now.
+1 for Flexzilla. I have one and another run-of-the-mill rubber hose. The Flexzilla is definitely less frustrating to roll up and maneuver.
May 28, 2012
11414 posts
3706 upvotes
Saskatoon
Rubber hoses are heavy. I have several and they are over 20 years ago. I think the last ones I bought were President's Choice brand ($39.99 for 50'). They don't sell them anymore. Imo, it's better to get two 50' than one 100'. I just did a product search for rubber garden hoses and there's a couple made from rubber and then all the rest are gimmicky ones made from other materials. If you really want to buy a rubber hose, you may need to spend a bit more but it will last a lot longer than those other ones. Dramm and Gilmour have some listed on Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5092 posts
1998 upvotes
After numerous attempts at trying out different hoses ... I ended up going with:

Teknor Apex ZERO-G 5/8" x 75' Hose from Lowes $42.49+taxes (MAY 2020) for my garage faucet for watering the lawn/garden and washing the cars in the front of the house

+

NeverKink 75-ft Contractor-Duty Kink Free Garden Hose from Lowes for $44.99+taxes (APR 2020) for my backyard for the lawn/garden with a sprinkler ... the faucet is stupidly located on the side of the house in the middle (stupid builder could have relocated it to the back of the house which would make more sense since there is already one in the garage)
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2991 posts
662 upvotes
Ancaster
I've read good reviews on the Flexilla and Home Depot seems to use them for watering in their garden centres if that's any indication of their quality.

I've also been told and seen decent reviews for the Dramm Colorstorm hoses but they are hard to find in stock in the larger lengths like 100ft which I need.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dramm-17313-Color ... B00H2X4X8S

I've got the Stanley FatMax 100 ft hose and am very happy with it so far after two seasons. The reviews are a bit mixed and I'm not sure why because I like the hose. It routinely goes on sale at Home Hardware for 40-50% off.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/100-fatm ... /p/5038004

I prefer the pure rubber hoses but they are becoming harder to find nowadays. What I like about the Stanley hose is how light it is and how it doesn't kink easily.

I replaced a Costco hose with the Stanley. The Costco hose was still working but it was a nightmare to handle with kinking etc especially if it's not hot out.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1164 posts
1045 upvotes
ON
I’ve been using the flexilla for a few years now. Stays outside all 12 months. There may be other good ones but I have had no issues with the flexilla.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2441 posts
386 upvotes
North York
-1 flexzilla, it doesnt live upto the hype. Doesn't coil/hand neatly, and needs to be twisted so that it doesn't kink.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21886 posts
475 upvotes
Newmarket
Im happy with the Costco ones I bought there about 10 years ago for outdoors. I can live with the odd kink, doesnt happen that much (esp compared to a coiled hose I bought at CT, which is nearly useless).
I use an Amazon version of the flexzilla (approx $25 for 50 ft) in the garage and love it.
have an irrigation system, so the hoses are just used for cleaning outside.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1291 posts
737 upvotes
I replaced two sets of garden hoses over the last 2 years and like the new ones.

Two years ago, I purchased a Crisp-Air Extreme Flex garden hose. Don't recall the price, but it cost more than the average hose. I purchased from WalMart, but it seems to be available sometimes thru Amazon, HomeDepot, Lowes, etc..
It's the best hose I've had. Very light, yet strong and very flexible. I think the company specializes in air-hose equipment, but also makes water hoses. https://www.crispocanada.com/hoses

This year, I did get the Flexion hose from Costco, and I think it is also a good product and good value. I did notice that it is the only garden hose I ever purchased that came with instructions on how to set it up. Very specific instructions on unwinding it fully, in warm weather, and letting water run through it for a few minutes before wind-up it up again. It is heavier, and not as flexible as the Air-Crisp. But doesn't kink, and seems pretty good so far.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2991 posts
662 upvotes
Ancaster
multimut wrote: I replaced two sets of garden hoses over the last 2 years and like the new ones.

Two years ago, I purchased a Crisp-Air Extreme Flex garden hose. Don't recall the price, but it cost more than the average hose. I purchased from WalMart, but it seems to be available sometimes thru Amazon, HomeDepot, Lowes, etc..
It's the best hose I've had. Very light, yet strong and very flexible. I think the company specializes in air-hose equipment, but also makes water hoses. https://www.crispocanada.com/hoses

This year, I did get the Flexion hose from Costco, and I think it is also a good product and good value. I did notice that it is the only garden hose I ever purchased that came with instructions on how to set it up. Very specific instructions on unwinding it fully, in warm weather, and letting water run through it for a few minutes before wind-up it up again. It is heavier, and not as flexible as the Air-Crisp. But doesn't kink, and seems pretty good so far.
I've got an air hose and reel from Crisp-Air from Costco and it's a great product. I never even considered that they would likely also make decent water hoses.
Apr 30, 2013
777 posts
440 upvotes
King City
multimut wrote: I replaced two sets of garden hoses over the last 2 years and like the new ones.

I have these as well and have had great experience with them. Left outside year round and still going strong years later.

Important to note that their inner diameter is only 1/2". Costco carries them online (when in stock).