None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto

Rude Manager at Richmond Hill (ON) Future Shop

The following is a copy of the letter mail (not email) I'm sending to Future Shop, regarding an incident happened this morning (Saturday) at their Richmond Hill (Yonge & 16th) store:
To Whom It May Concern
Future Shop Canadian Headquarters
Customer Support Dept.
8800 Glenlyon Parkway
Burnaby, BC V5J 5K3

RE: RUDE MANAGER AT RICHMOND HILL (ON) STORE

I am writing to complain against the rude attitude of one of your staff, namely Nitin, Operation Manager at Richmond Hill (ON) Store (9325 Yonge Street, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 0A8).

I was at that store Saturday morning (February 16, 2008) trying to use a coupon (bar code: 10084379 - SAVE $5 on any video game or PC game). I was told at the cashier's that since the game I was purchasing was of a lesser value ($4.95) than the coupon saving ($5), I was not able to do that. I then asked to clarify with the Store Manager. A Mr. Nitin showed up, and told me something that was CLEARLY NOT THE TRUTH: he said the coupon was applicable only to purchases over $20. I of course raised the question that nowhere on the coupon did it say so. This was when this Mr. Nitin turned rude, and said that ALL the people who had used this coupon before me were buying $20 games, apparently suggesting that I was "cheap" for picking up a game of lesser value. And when I asked again for the minimum purchase to use this coupon, he made things up on the spot again, saying that it was $10. It was only after my persistent queries that he finally agreed it was $5.01. The most ridiculous thing was, when I said "thank you" at the very end, his reply was "don't shout at me".

Now, my questions are: a) is it a Future Shop POLICY (not something made up on the spot by just any manager) that coupons canNOT apply to purchases of a lesser value; and b) why would a senior staff in store (this Mr. Nitin claimed to be THE MOST SENIOR staff at Richmond Hill Store during my visit) spoke in such rude and nonsense manner, and made up "policies" (a.k.a. LIES) on the spot?

I am enclosing my address and phone number herewith, and awaiting your prompt reply. I don't think I would be able to use this coupon (good through February 17, 2008), but I would like to at least know if Future Shop is a place which I could continue to partronize and recommend to friends and clients. Thak you.

Best regards,
(Name, address and phone number withheld.)
28 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1376 posts
Markham
I really doubt they would reply. It seems to me that Future Shop doesn't really care about these matters...
Apr 3, 2006
738 posts
1 upvote
I think while it's obvious that you can't use a 5$ off coupon on an item less than 5$, he was a dick who didn't know the store policy on the coupon or decided to lie to you for no reason.

Sounds like you were not completely unreasonable, only asking a question. However I've seen people in your situation and been frustrated myself. I once worked in a store where we sold socks for 9.99 and people had 5$ off coupons (could use 2) and they would argue with me that they can use both of them on a 9.99 item, even though the coupon clearly stated minimum purchase 10$. Those *******s pissed me off to no end, but it doesn't sound like you were being like that, so you have every right to be unhappy.

Good luck.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12096 posts
3405 upvotes
GTA
pupazzo wrote: Lol no one cares about your $5 coupon and nickle and diming
But here on RFD, we care about the attitude of store managers and the resulting corporate (non) action.
Jul 22, 2007
699 posts
Magog, Quebec
pupazzo wrote: Lol no one cares about your $5 coupon and nickle and diming
This isn't about 5$, it's about their crappy attitude.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
11571 posts
131232 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

I did complaint about their attitude once, never got any update (or if it ever got fixed), but at least reporting it is still a good thing. Enough of it can sure cause alot of crap going on.

Ju Leon...
Feb 10, 2006
965 posts
39 upvotes
Thornhill
wow does this FS have some of the worst employees or what :mad:

a few months ago, i went to this FS to PM BB's $10 NHL 07
the employee who helped me seemed nice at first... until he complained to me about his, and i quote, "b*tchy" co-worker :| telling me how she gets on his nerves and etc.

then, he called the richmond hill BB and says that there's no stock
so i tell him the markham one has stock, but then he makes up the lamest excuse: "oh, we can only price match one store that's the closest to us"
"well then why is markham BB's number in your folder???" (starting to get irritated)
"well, i know i'm new, but i still know the policies and rules" and continues ranting about how he "knows" his stuff and how i don't.

ugh. first, the completely unprofessional comment about his co-worker to a customer, then his completely lame excuse to avoid the PM.

but thankfully, a call to HQ fixed all this. :)
too bad i couldn't remember his name... would've been nice to get the store manager to teach him a lesson in being more professional.
Jun 7, 2006
777 posts
6 upvotes
mushy_eyes wrote: wow does this FS have some of the worst employees or what :mad:

a few months ago, i went to this FS to PM BB's $10 NHL 07
the employee who helped me seemed nice at first... until he complained to me about his, and i quote, "b*tchy" co-worker :| telling me how she gets on his nerves and etc.

then, he called the richmond hill BB and says that there's no stock
so i tell him the markham one has stock, but then he makes up the lamest excuse: "oh, we can only price match one store that's the closest to us"
"well then why is markham BB's number in your folder???" (starting to get irritated)
"well, i know i'm new, but i still know the policies and rules" and continues ranting about how he "knows" his stuff and how i don't.

ugh. first, the completely unprofessional comment about his co-worker to a customer, then his completely lame excuse to avoid the PM.

but thankfully, a call to HQ fixed all this. :)
too bad i couldn't remember his name... would've been nice to get the store manager to teach him a lesson in being more professional.
No customers wants to hear workplace politics. If those employees have no respect for each other, than the same would have happen to the customers too.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
11 upvotes
KELOWNA
Make sure you keep the coupon and complain to your gov't Consumer Affairs type department. The laws are usually pretty clear about limitations having to be spelled out on the coupon (the fine print). There are lots of times that places like grocery stores sell product for less than the coupon is worth so you basically get the product for free. Such is life, unless the coupon says otherwise. If a store that does their own coupons ends up selling stuff for $0, too bad as they should know their own stock before they release the coupon.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7376 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
i think it would make sense that coupons dunt apply to things of lesser value. If you used a $5 coupon on a $4.95 game, many people would even start arguing that they should get back their 5 cents.
I think fs may just send you back a generic "thank you for inquring" letter, because i would doubt they'd even bother with a $5 coupon issue.
Sep 16, 2007
479 posts
30 upvotes
Ancaster
I hope you fixed the spelling errors before you sent it :)
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
11 upvotes
KELOWNA
trixR4kids wrote: i think it would make sense that coupons dunt apply to things of lesser value. If you used a $5 coupon on a $4.95 game, many people would even start arguing that they should get back their 5 cents.
I think fs may just send you back a generic "thank you for inquring" letter, because i would doubt they'd even bother with a $5 coupon issue.
It doesn't matter if it makes sense, there are laws about limitations having to be outlined or the coupon must be honoured. Stores can't go changing the rules once you are standing in line unless they have already printed a public retraction.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7376 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
Dustbunny wrote: It doesn't matter if it makes sense, there are laws about limitations having to be outlined or the coupon must be honoured. Stores can't go changing the rules once you are standing in line unless they have already printed a public retraction.
so in a sense he could have picked up something from fs for $0.01, then walk out fs with $4.99 in change in his pockets?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
11 upvotes
KELOWNA
No, you don't get change you get the $ amount off the price. The coupon is not a cash equivalent (and they usually spell that out too) it's a discount off the price.