• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2008 8:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
wamrage wrote: I think while it's obvious that you can't use a 5$ off coupon on an item less than 5$, he was a dick who didn't know the store policy on the coupon or decided to lie to you for no reason.

Sounds like you were not completely unreasonable, only asking a question. However I've seen people in your situation and been frustrated myself. I once worked in a store where we sold socks for 9.99 and people had 5$ off coupons (could use 2) and they would argue with me that they can use both of them on a 9.99 item, even though the coupon clearly stated minimum purchase 10$. Those *******s pissed me off to no end, but it doesn't sound like you were being like that, so you have every right to be unhappy.

Good luck.
I've dealt with people like you. I often have complain to higher ups who then override the decision or (mistake) of people like you.

Actually, that situation your talking about can you tell us more? Usually you cannot use more than 1 coupon. I'm guessing those were some sort of certificate? I've come across a lot of cashiers that can't tell the difference between a "coupon" and a "certificate" - it's the new millenium and still... :D
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
teknoluv wrote: The following is a copy of the letter mail (not email) I'm sending to Future Shop, regarding an incident happened this morning (Saturday) at their Richmond Hill (Yonge & 16th) store:
I would suggest complaining to your local BBB as well...
Visit www.bbb.org
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
IMO if the coupon doesn't specifically state a minimum purchase amount then it can be used on items of lesser than coupon value up to and including getting the item for free. If they didn't spell it out properly in the coupons fine print that's not your problem it's theirs. That's what the fine print is there for. The manager should have just accepted the coupon and dealt with his HQ later.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4333 posts
550 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Anychance of scanning the coupon for us all to see :p

FS has always faught with me on PM's as i usually get good ones ( 40-50 off ) Usually 20-30 minutes till i leave with item.

Staples - returned all my purchased xmas gifts ( $1478 + ) as manager refused PM of $20 on item at FS. Called Staples headquaters...8 business days later...letter of apology + offer of item at the PM + $50 GC ( never used yet )

Best Buy - always greated and treated perfect on all PM's no issues. In out within minutes.

Its not just specific stores, its how they chain trains them.
Mar 18, 2006
135 posts
59 upvotes
There are two sides to every story. It was probably just some miscommunication between both of you. I guarantee that there are terms and conditions on that coupon.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7374 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
i think in a way, the op tried to abuse the savings of the coupon and the manager didn't like it one bit, cuz they'll glady take off $5 from some $30+ game, but if your asking to get one free because the company is "legally" binded to the coupon, then don't expect everything to go through smoothly
Dec 4, 2007
211 posts
vancouver
what's your purpose of the letter? get him fired? want an apology? I doubt they could care less.
I don't know what to put here :-0
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14391 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto
Using a coupon for $5 off on a $4.95 game? LOL!

I do not know the terms and conditions of this promotion, but the intent is for purchases in excess of $5 prior to tax. The sales manager was correct when he said $5.01.

In my experience with Future Shop, they can be a bunch of condescending buggers.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6333 posts
989 upvotes
supsup wrote: what's your purpose of the letter? get him fired? want an apology? I doubt they could care less.
+1

When they get to the part about this being over a $5 issue they'll promptly file the letter in their Customer Complaints Processing Machine (=shredder) and run it through that system with the high speed processing that it deserves.

That's what I would do.
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote: +1

When they get to the part about this being over a $5 issue they'll promptly file the letter in their Customer Complaints Processing Machine (=shredder) and run it through that system with the high speed processing that it deserves.

That's what I would do.
LOL yeah totally agreed. I think it would be common sense that you can't use a coupon on an item that is valued less than the coupon and expect to get the item for free. Otherwise you'd have everybody going in there with these $5 coupons trying get things for free. It's hard not to see why the manager would get frustrated with these kinds of bizarre requests.

I doubt the head office being written to will take this letter seriously.
Jul 9, 2006
16 posts
Many times employees and even the managers dont know the rules and just make up something on the fly. I used to work in Wal-Mart while back at its electronics dpt. A lady came to dpt cash register to buy a CD that had a sticker of $4.99 on it. When I scanned it, it came up at $6.99. I price override it to $4.99 however she claimed that she should get this for free because its the law! I wasnt aware of such a thing (And this was the first time someone demanding such a thing after 2 years of work). A Manager trainy came to solve the matter and he did not know either and she went on to talk to the store manager. Few hours later, our store manager came to me and gave me a sticker to stick above all the cash registers at the electronics dpt. She did the same thing for all other cash registers at the store too. The sticker was citing a federal law (or maybe provincial) and was stating that if a the price scanned, is more than the prices that is tagged on a merchandise, it must be adjusted to the tag prices and must also be reduced by $5 on the first item (in case they are buying more than one of that item). If the price of the item is less than $5, then it should be given free to the customer.
Apparently the customer i was dealing with was some sort of inspector and she was checking out walmart!!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
What you're referring to is called the Scanning code of Practice" discussed here in other threads. It is not a law, it is a voluntary program of the Retail Council of Canada that member stores can follow if they wish by advertising such at the entranceways and on all the registers. Simply put the code says that if an item WITHOUT a price tag on it scans at a higher price than the shelf price AND is $10 or less in price, you get the item for free. For items priced more than $10 and scan higher than the shelf price you get $10 off the price of the item.
In your example you said the item HAD a price tag on it of $4.99 yet scanned for $6.99.. The code does not apply because the item DID have a price tag and that's the amount the customer pays. $4.99, not free.
Anyways, there's other dedicated threads on this subject and you can google "scanning code of practice" for more info.
Sep 6, 2006
207 posts
pkguy wrote: What you're referring to is called the Scanning code of Practice" discussed here in other threads. It is not a law, it is a voluntary program of the Retail Council of Canada that member stores can follow if they wish by advertising such at the entranceways and on all the registers.
In Quebec, it is the law.