Rule for rent out basement in Oakville for airbnb

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2020 5:55 pm
[OP]
May 22, 2019
496 posts
105 upvotes

Rule for rent out basement in Oakville for airbnb

I am thinking to rent out my basement for airbnb.

It is my primary resident.

What is the tax and regulations in Oakville. I see the regulation for Toronto, not sure about Oakville
6 replies
Jan 15, 2013
371 posts
247 upvotes
I remember reading somewhere that basement apartments that produce any type of income are illegal in Oakville unless you were grandfathered in and had it legalized prior to 1995. That is why you hardly see any basement apartments in Oakville especially in the newer areas. Best to check with the Town of Oakville to confirm based on your address.

I personally have never seen a basement rental or AirBNB basement in Oakville.
Temp. Banned
Apr 29, 2010
569 posts
932 upvotes
GTA
zsj495 wrote: I remember reading somewhere that basement apartments that produce any type of income are illegal in Oakville unless you were grandfathered in and had it legalized prior to 1995. That is why you hardly see any basement apartments in Oakville especially in the newer areas. Best to check with the Town of Oakville to confirm based on your address.

Oakville stays winning
Jan 14, 2008
470 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
zsj495 wrote: I remember reading somewhere that basement apartments that produce any type of income are illegal in Oakville unless you were grandfathered in and had it legalized prior to 1995. That is why you hardly see any basement apartments in Oakville especially in the newer areas. Best to check with the Town of Oakville to confirm based on your address.

I'm sorry to burst the Oakville Holy Grail bubble, however the information above is obsolete.

Secondary units/Basement apartments can be legalized in Oakville for the last few years, like other places in Ontario. This was part of the sweeping changes all municipalities in Ontario had to adopt from the provincial changes of bill 140 around 2016/17 (like the 1995 change that occurred)

One would apply and their local zoning regulations would dictate the size/technicalities of the legal basement apartment. Some heritage areas would be more difficult to be approved.
https://www.oakville.ca/townhall/Zoning-FAQ.html

My friend that lives in the south/east part of Oakville actually went through this process last year.

In fact, the municipality encourages this type of housing and is offering incentives of a forgivable 15 year loan up to $50,000 for people to make basement apartments in Oakville and the rest of Halton region... As this following article updated in 2020 reads;
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilton-r ... tment.html

Secondary units in homes is a reality, particularly in the GTA with housing prices and cost of living escalating.
Jun 30, 2009
325 posts
159 upvotes
gc99 wrote: I'm sorry to burst the Oakville Holy Grail bubble, however the information above is obsolete.

Secondary units/Basement apartments can be legalized in Oakville for the last few years, like other places in Ontario. This was part of the sweeping changes all municipalities in Ontario had to adopt from the provincial changes of bill 140 around 2016/17 (like the 1995 change that occurred)

One would apply and their local zoning regulations would dictate the size/technicalities of the legal basement apartment. Some heritage areas would be more difficult to be approved.

My friend that lives in the south/east part of Oakville actually went through this process last year.

In fact, the municipality encourages this type of housing and is offering incentives of a forgivable 15 year loan up to $50,000 for people to make basement apartments in Oakville and the rest of Halton region... As this following article updated in 2020 reads;

Secondary units in homes is a reality, particularly in the GTA with housing prices and cost of living escalating.
Is this program still in effect? The article was updated this year but is from a few years ago.
Jun 30, 2009
325 posts
159 upvotes
gc99 wrote: I'm sorry to burst the Oakville Holy Grail bubble, however the information above is obsolete.

Is this program still in effect? The article was updated this year but is from a few years ago.
Jan 14, 2008
470 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
santafe wrote: Is this program still in effect? The article was updated this year but is from a few years ago.
Yes i believe so. Best to contact Halton region since there isnt much published information online)
Even other municipalities have similar programs such as Peel (Mississauga/Brampton/Caledon) which are in effect.